SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sunfish

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FSMike 
#1 ·
Why didn't I get one sooner.
No motor,sailing in the rain (tropical down poor in TX), hit the dock hard (no damage) ran a ground (no problem) and just pure sailing fun.
And the best thing it was free.:D
I can see a lot of fun messing about in that boat.
Well then it's back to hard core beer can racing, maybe a sunfish race too.:D
Thanks for the boat Mark (race captain).

#2 ·
Learned to sail on Sunfish and similar boats in my teens.
Can be set up to sail in 5 to 10 minutes.
Manhandling the hull down the beach is some exercise but you (and I) need exercise.
Stepping the mast is a breeze.
The rigging is almost too simple to ****up.
Don't forget the drain plug (if one is installed).
They can be pretty hard to sail if the hull takes on a lot of water.
A friend and I took one out in <= 20 knot winds and had the hull planing along at damn near 8 - 10 knots on a broad reach.
It may well be my retirement boat unless a Laser comes my way, cheap.
Wet and wild!

#3 · (Edited)
Three things the boat needs for adult fun, Beer cooler. wind vane (cause I'm used to having one) and lights for the bleary sail home, after I challenges the big boat on Friday night. I bet I can beat a few of them.
And more stupid fun, yep its a down right stupid fun boat.:D

And yes theres more the boat took yet another new person on the water, my niece, she love it.
What else needs to be said.

#4 ·
As for the adult fun; a small cooler that can fit in the cockpit is good and a water proof flashlight are good for night sailing. As for the wind vane you could install one but I wouldn't as it will eventually get broken off.
User your ears and eyes and other senses to figure out where the wind is coming from. You don't need a windex or vane as the single sail tells you quite well where the wind is coming from.
A Sunfish will help you make a new sailor out of young folks you know better then any keel boat.

#6 ·
Yes they are fun to sail but not strong enough. First time I took my wife sailing on my uncle's Sunfish was when we had some good wind and I got her (the boat) planing. Keeping the boat level though caused the aluminum (hollow) mast to fold over. Had to swim to shore puling her (my wife) back. That was no fun, but just B-4 it al happened the vibration, singing and humming of this little boat fighting the elements was great fun. Great little SUNNY state type of vessel.

#7 ·
1976, age 14, launched from the beach in Galveston with my nephew. Ended up rescuing a man and his son who were 3/4 mile out in a cheap blow-up raft. Coast guard finally showed up and we and sailed off at a fast pace back to the beach. We both have very fond memories of our hardy little Sunfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.