Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38 - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter

Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38

Ladies and gentleman,

I have researched the above 3 boats and would now like to know your opinions please.

My intent is to liveaboard fulltime, cruise Mexico, the caribbean and quite possibly cross oceans as some point. I like all three and these are my impression & thoughts.

-all three perform well and have good PHRF ratings in the low 100 range. All 3 point high.

-the BF 38 may perform slightly better but marginally

-the build quality of the BF 38 is the best of the 3 and probably the best offshore boat when the going gets tough due to construction. Having said that the Cal 39 would also do well. The E 38 is built as a robust coastal cruiser and with perhaps some mods could also be tough enough offshore.

-the interior of the BF 38 has the finest finish, but the E 38 is also well appointed. The Cal 39 is a bit more workman like but the 1982-1984 Miii's with the aft cabin are also well done with nice joinery

-the accomodations of the E 38 in terms of berth size/length are the best of the 3 followed by the Cal 39.The v-berth of the BF 38 is smaller due to the long,fine entry.

-tankage in the Cal 39 is superior, followed by the E 38 and then the BF 38 with its 30 gallon fuel tank.

-All 3 have over 6 feet of draft [exceptions being the shoal draft models] This makes them not as well suited for the ICW and Bahamas. ossibly a shoal draft version of the Cal 39 [5'6"] would do best in those areas.

-all 3 have vulnerable spade rudders but nimble and swift.

The price range of all 3 is similiar give or take 10K.

RATINGS:

#1- Beneteau First 38 by a very slim margin over the Cal 39 due primarily to the finer finish and possibly superior construction.

#2. Cal 39. Superior to the E 38 due to slightly more robust construction.

#3. E 38. Still a suitable boat for offshore but not as strongly constructed as the other two boats.

Your comments please!!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2010 Thread Starter

Come on guys....does nobody have anything to say about these 3 boats?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe4 View Post
Come on guys....does nobody have anything to say about these 3 boats?
They all sound great. However, since you are talking about buying an older boat, I would think that you should start to look for all of the three and go with the one that is in the best condition, the best location, and the best price.

If you decide that you want a particular boat, you may have slim pickings. For example, I only find 4 Cal 39s on yachtworld.com

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-07-2010

wannabe 4

i owned a cal 39, cruised it through the slot, down to colombia and up the west side of del caribe. the boat was very good to me. she was a shoal draft. you might want to research the naval architect william lapworth, if you have further interest in the cal 39. sorry, but i can't speak for the other boats.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2010

Any of the three will sail like a train upwind,
but all have large sail plans with massive
headsails.
The Ericson is quite fast in light air,
but will be slower and more diffucult to
manage in breezy off the wind sailing.
The Beneteau will likely have the best
overall sailing performance.

Islander 30 II 'COOL'
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2015

Re: Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38

Here's my website containing everything about living aboard my Cal 39 from Quicken expense reports to maintenance tutorials to climbing the mast (with photos): SailorsLifeForMe.com.

I've owned my 1978 Cal 39 MKII for 2 years now and absolutely no complaints. She was in fair condition when I bought her for $28,000 in Hawaii in 2013. There have been a few cases of corrosion in the wiring, the winches needed some lubing, new sails, new bottom paint, added solar, re-stepped the mast to replace the stainless steel step and added all new rigging while I was at it.

But as for the boat, never any leaks, dry interior, quality teak interior looking very nice, and no complaints at all! I live-aboard and sail inter-island every few months and race twice per week.

She's fully loaded down with cruising gear, but we still manage to come in the top third in the beer-can races.

Sailing the rough channel crossings, she sometimes slams hard into the seas when hard against the wind in 8 foot seas or higher. But falling off a few points fixes that until we're in smoother conditions.

Sailing downwind with following seas is hard work! Steering requires a lot of muscle, first holding strong right pressure when a wave passes from the aft, then a 3/4 turn of the wheel in the opposite direction until the next wave comes. That's a lot of hard steering when on a shift more than 4 hours. And the self-steering wind vane can't hold the pressure, so it's man-power only. Perhaps dragging a line behind would help, but never tried it.

At any other point of sail, however, just trim the sails and lock the steering. She'll go for hours through the trade-winds without ever touching the helm.

Most cruisers I've sailed next to require me to reduce sail to match their speed. With jib only, I can out point and out sail the Catalina 38. The only exception so far is the Nordic 44 which outperformed my Cal 39, but what do you expect. That Nordic is a sweet boat!

Sorry I have no info on the other two boats for direct comparison, but I am still very happy with my Cal 39!

--Adam
1978 Cal 39 MKII TM
SailorsLifeForMe.com
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2015
Old as Dirt!

Having owned and sailed a Cal for 26 years and having subsequently owned and sailed a Beneteau for 13 years, given a choice, I'd stick with the Beneteau.

FWIW,,,

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2015

Since this thread is almost 5 years old, I assume the OP has made his choice.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2015

The beauty of old boats: the info is ALWAYS helpful (I wonder which he chose.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/68498-cal-39-vs-e-38-200-vs-beneteau-first-38-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Transmission used in a 1984 Beneteau first 38 - sailing answers This thread Refback 05-25-2014 08:16 PM
Twitter Trackbacks for Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38 - SailNet Community [sailnet.com] on Topsy.com This thread Pingback 09-24-2010 10:04 AM
Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 09-23-2010 02:39 AM
Cal 39 vs E 38-200 vs Beneteau First 38 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 09-23-2010 01:29 AM