SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Found! (wood) Possible Alden design 23 ft.

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 · (Edited)
I've already posted on wooden boat forum too. Looked at this today. Only information I was able to get was this;
23 ft, aux sloop, 18.6 WL, 7,2" beam,3'10" draft. She was possibly built by a Mandon Bates, in 1939 she's 1 of 3, was designed by Alden. is what I'm being told. the family is computer clueless and needs to find a home for her.

I'd like to adopt her!
Anyone that may have some insight on this boat please let me know?
Iron keel, all the planks are tight! ribs are good. top sides need work of course. it was moved via oars no evidence of any kind of motors. it had a wood stove. spruce mast and boom.. only the mast top is there about 2ft of it.

#2 ·
The fact that the family built a tent around this boat to protect her says volumes. They went to some trouble to preserve this boat and it does show. I'm no wood boat expert but that looks to be in really good condition.

If by "adoption" they mean "it's yours if you haul it away", the money invested to have a boat hauling service to pick it up and transport it to your home for work would be worth it in my opinion. If you don't mind tossing $800-$1000 on the transport costs as a gamble, I think she would make an excellent restoration project and be a head turner anywhere she sailed.

Based on those pictures, unless there is serious dry rot, the wood looks good and the bulk of the work appears to be refinishing and getting her wet to get what few open seams are visible to swell and close up. I was looking at a 1930s era Comet that was in much worse shape than this.

If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd get in line behind you.

Matt

#3 ·
Matt, it's actually something that can be trailered. Yes it's mine if I want it. I just received information about it from the Wooden boat forum. It's name was STEREX, built for a Dr. in 1938 I'm hard pressed to let this one go!

#7 ·
I'll be going back for more pics I'll look closer at the stem and. yes it's amazingly tight planking. allot of it looks 1/4 sawn.

#9 · (Edited)
So, where'd the pix of this fine vessel go? They look to have disappeared.

You can never go wrong with an old Alden design, just like you could never go wrong with an old Olin Stephens design! Wait....did you say Alden or Alberg? Can't say the same for Alberg...he's not in the same stratosphere as Stephens or Alden or Herreshoff. He did alright, I guess...compared to some of the designers of these sheerless, soulless hulls (husks?) that populate marinas nowadays...but he always put that 'Alberg cut' into the foresection of the keel. Stephens did too, but his cuts were a lot more graceful under the water, as can be seen in his boats like Dorade. I guess I'm just particular, I like a boat that looks just as good on the hard as it does IN the water. I think old Aldens do pretty well in that regard, too.

#10 ·
So, where'd the pix of this fine vessel go? They look to have disappeared.
Avoiding commentary? :D

...but he always put that 'Alberg cut' into the foresection of the keel. Stephens did too, but his cuts were a lot more graceful under the water, as can be seen in his boats like Dorade.
Dorade has a smooth curve along the forefoot, no cutaway. Later designs like ours have a compound curve along the forefoot.

#13 ·
As it turns out I was in contact with a nice gent in marble head MA that knew the builder and his family. Mandon Bates, it's Alden design # 679 and the orig plans are available. Herr name was STAREX, and Bates only built one. 2 others were built in Maine.

It's seems that it was gaff rigged but unless I buy the plans it won't know. I've a friend that may join me on this boat as a partner. but Otherwise I'm letting my connection in MA have first dibs.

Next week we are going for more pics and I'm going to look deep to see if the deadwood is sound. All the red lead is still there. const should be cedar on oak frames, pine decks covered with canvas. and lots of mahogany trim, cabin sides, coamings etc.

Sometimes I think this is more fun then working on the boat. doing research, and the owners shocked that I'm so into it because I love wooden boats :)

#16 ·
I'm actually losing sleep over this boat.. geeze, I know i can't bear the costs at this time. So It's pretty likely I'll help the owners find a home for her though.. they are not computer savvy and their house and yard is like a scene for "American Pickers"

#18 ·
Anyone interested in this boat please contact me I'll put you in touch with the owners. it's free to a good home. I've looked at allot of old wooden boats. this one is WORTH SAVING!

#20 ·
Oh well! someone took the boat away yesterday the owners called me today let me know and thanked me for trying. Hopefully another boat is going to be saved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.