Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Found! (wood) Possible Alden design 23 ft.

I've already posted on wooden boat forum too. Looked at this today. Only information I was able to get was this;
23 ft, aux sloop, 18.6 WL, 7,2" beam,3'10" draft. She was possibly built by a Mandon Bates, in 1939 she's 1 of 3, was designed by Alden. is what I'm being told. the family is computer clueless and needs to find a home for her.

I'd like to adopt her!
Anyone that may have some insight on this boat please let me know?
Iron keel, all the planks are tight! ribs are good. top sides need work of course. it was moved via oars no evidence of any kind of motors. it had a wood stove. spruce mast and boom.. only the mast top is there about 2ft of it.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-22-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
The fact that the family built a tent around this boat to protect her says volumes. They went to some trouble to preserve this boat and it does show. I'm no wood boat expert but that looks to be in really good condition.

If by "adoption" they mean "it's yours if you haul it away", the money invested to have a boat hauling service to pick it up and transport it to your home for work would be worth it in my opinion. If you don't mind tossing $800-$1000 on the transport costs as a gamble, I think she would make an excellent restoration project and be a head turner anywhere she sailed.

Based on those pictures, unless there is serious dry rot, the wood looks good and the bulk of the work appears to be refinishing and getting her wet to get what few open seams are visible to swell and close up. I was looking at a 1930s era Comet that was in much worse shape than this.

If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd get in line behind you.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD
Old 10-21-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Matt, it's actually something that can be trailered. Yes it's mine if I want it. I just received information about it from the Wooden boat forum. It's name was STEREX, built for a Dr. in 1938 I'm hard pressed to let this one go!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Iron fastened? (stem looks a little iron sick, but it may be the strake). She'll be a looker when you're done .

Last edited by cormeum; 10-21-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2010
1934 Chickering

bronze, stem is wood. no stem band. Iron keel. all seams are about 1/8 - 3/16. bilges seem to have the original red lead.

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-21-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
bronze, stem is wood. no stem band. Iron keel. all seams are about 1/8 - 3/16. bilges seem to have the original red lead.

Good. Something is buckled on the forefoot,(see pic above) sure there's no band? Good seam size for a dry boat. Kinda like what Charlie Cobra is doing .
Old 10-21-2010
1934 Chickering

I'll be going back for more pics I'll look closer at the stem and. yes it's amazingly tight planking. allot of it looks 1/4 sawn.

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-21-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Sweet looking boat. It'll be a big project (you know that) but she'll be a beauty when you're done.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-22-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
So, where'd the pix of this fine vessel go? They look to have disappeared.

You can never go wrong with an old Alden design, just like you could never go wrong with an old Olin Stephens design! Wait....did you say Alden or Alberg? Can't say the same for Alberg...he's not in the same stratosphere as Stephens or Alden or Herreshoff. He did alright, I guess...compared to some of the designers of these sheerless, soulless hulls (husks?) that populate marinas nowadays...but he always put that 'Alberg cut' into the foresection of the keel. Stephens did too, but his cuts were a lot more graceful under the water, as can be seen in his boats like Dorade. I guess I'm just particular, I like a boat that looks just as good on the hard as it does IN the water. I think old Aldens do pretty well in that regard, too.

Last edited by SoulVoyage; 10-22-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulVoyage View Post
So, where'd the pix of this fine vessel go? They look to have disappeared.
Avoiding commentary?

Quote:
...but he always put that 'Alberg cut' into the foresection of the keel. Stephens did too, but his cuts were a lot more graceful under the water, as can be seen in his boats like Dorade.
Dorade has a smooth curve along the forefoot, no cutaway. Later designs like ours have a compound curve along the forefoot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.