Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010

akoroves is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I agree! It's easily made the short list for certain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoroves View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking into buying a small sailboat, and one of the potential purchases I am considering is an Alberg 22. I had a few questions regarding this boat and would really appreciate some help from you guys and girls.

The Alberg 22 is a full keel boat. Being that the boat is probably too small for offshore cruising, I was wondering what advantage a full keel would be to a boat that is pretty much limited to sheltered waters. Can a boat that small handle really rough conditions? Is it much more likely to recover from a capsize? Has anyone owned an Alberg 22 and taken her out in open ocean? Can she handle that?

I really like this boat, but I noticed that all of the Alberg 22s for sale here are equipped with an outboard. Has anyone ever seen an Alberg 22 equipped with an inboard? Or is an inboard not practical for such a small boat? I really appreciate any help. I really like the look of this boat, and the price is right. I just don't want to go out and buy one and find out I made the wrong choice...

Much Thanks,

Alex
I have an Oday 22, different boat but same size range and I have a Nissan 9.8 outboard on it which is more then enough. I don't see why you would have to put an inboard in it. Just keep a nice small outboard on it and be done. On windless evenings, I have motored my boat for miles with sails lowered and hardly burned any fuel. In fact, I would like to replace my 2-stroke 9.8hp to a 4-stroke 6hp, much lighter and easier to take on and off for servicing.

From what I read, its not necessarily the boat that can't handle rough conditions, its more often the ability of the skipper. I had my 22 out in some pretty rough situations and never felt unsafe yet and mine is not even a full keel vessel as your Alberg 22 is. Oh and I have only been sailing for 8 months now so I am NOT a highly experienced skipper. I sure hope I will be someday, practice makes perfect and I am sure as heck having a great time learning
Old 11-05-2010

akoroves is on a distinguished road
Very good advice sailguy. I guess with experience comes more confidence.
Old 11-13-2010

tri413 is on a distinguished road
I love my Alberg 22. It is a very seaworthy design and actually has a good turn of speed. I singlehanded it up the Mobjack this week when the wind was 15-20kts from the NE. The bay had kicked up some step 3-5 foot waves and the Alberg had no trouble going to windward just a little shy of 5kts in those conditions. I'd have like to had a reef in the main to lighten the weather helm, but otherwise it was a fantastic sail. Coming home in the same conditions I reached/surfed down those waves at 7kts. The accomodations are a little cramped for my 6'4" frame, but it's luxurious compared to backpacking. I can't say enough good things about this fun, simple boat.
Old 11-15-2010

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Alberg 22

Essentially the same design and numbers, ratios as Cape Dory 22.
I own a CD22... It is a great boat. At least one trans Atlantic crossing.
Small Cruiser, great day sailor for two.
CD made a 22D with a inboard one cylinder diesel.
They are not as common as once were.
Will NOT point as high as modern fins, but very very good on reach
Initially tender but stiffens up nicely at 15 *.
That is the older design. Lots of Atta boyz
Old 12-08-2010

I own a Cape dory 22..virtually the same boat. Had it three years now.
Know of one trans-Atlantic sail. I have taken several modern design sailors
for a sail... let 'em sail it. They ALL loved the boat. It does not sail as close to wind as modern fins. This is am much over rated asset. It has a narrow beam and is initially tender but stiffens up past 20 degrees.
Off the wind is is a beauty... Suggest you read about "form" stability vs. Ballast stability.
The Cape Dory 22D had an inboard diesel.
Old 12-08-2010

Alberg 22

I have a Cape Dory 22..same as Alberg 22. Beautiful boat. Sails well.
If possible, look at CD22D. It has an inboard diesel.
Keep ther value well, too.
Old 01-18-2011

lobstahpotts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lobstahpotts
When questioning the value of a full keel, consider what boats were popular in the past. The Typhoon (full keel alberg) had a production run of 2,123 boats not counting the Typhoon Sr. design later introduced. They are still desirable today. People appreciate the classic lines and the smaller full keel boats often perform very well due to the lower amount of weight resulting from size.
The Alberg will not sail like a modern boat, becuase it is not a modern boat. But if you appreciate stability and a forgiving platform, Alberg is a designer to keep right on top of the short list. I know of a typhoon which cruised the east coast extensively (months), that is 18', so it is certainly capable of sailing in a variety of conditions. You have to give these guys credit. They knew how to build a real safe boat for the conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1980 Cape Dory 30, #173
S/V Aerides
Portland Yacht Club
Falmouth, ME
Old 01-19-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Anybody considering to buy an Alberg 22 should really search for a Cape Dory 22 as it is almost identical but newer. (80-85)
Old 01-19-2011
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
The Alberg 22 is very good looking with it's traditional lines.
And with that full keel, she will track like a charm compared to a fin keel.

Do you guys know how small is the smallest sailboat that ever crossed the Atlantic Ocean? She was 5 ft long and made out of ply wood...I think her name was April fool. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the Alberg 22 can be pretty safe for off shore cruising even if she is on the small side. She have a good V hull shape so she will almost never pound when going up wind. She is not very beamy so she will heel alot but she will stiffens up at about 20 degrees, just like omaho5 said.
Yes, this boat will recover from a capsize, but be sure to close the companion way in heavy weather because it doesn't take a lot of water to sink a small vessel. (the smaller the boat, the bigger the pumps)

There is probably not enough space under the cockpit for a small inboard engine, but those small sailboat have a lazarette for the outboard engine, so your prop will stay under water.

If you compare the contessa's line with the Alberg 22, you will notice a resemblance...and the contessa26 is very sea worthy

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/69320-alberg-22-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Alberg 22 - sailing answers This thread Refback 10-12-2013 09:10 PM
Alberg 22 Full keel sailboat (Toronto) $4300 Classified Ad - Toronto, Ontario Motor Boats For Sale | Inetgiant Toronto, Ontario Free Advertising Website This thread Refback 07-06-2011 09:58 AM
Alberg 22 Full Keel Fiberglass Sailboat (Toronto) $4300 Classified Ad - Toronto, Ontario Motor Boats For Sale | Inetgiant Toronto, Ontario Free Advertising Website This thread Refback 03-19-2011 06:05 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 12-07-2010 08:37 PM
Alberg 22 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-24-2010 02:47 AM
Alberg 22 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-23-2010 10:23 PM