Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010

RichW is on a distinguished road
New Sailor Needs Help

Hello, I am currently in the market for a new (old) sailboat. I'm currently looking at a 1975 Annapolis 26. To my knowledge, this is a pretty good boat to learn on as it was designed for the Annapolis sailing school before being replaced with their current Rainbow 24's.

Does anyone know what I should look for to let me know if the boat is worth buying. It is listed extremely low, $875. The price makes me worry that something is horrifically wrong with it. What typically goes wrong with these boats?

Lastly, the boat does not come with a motor. I read the owners manual for a late model Catalina 25 and the motor rating for it is stated as between 7.5-10Hp. What kind of motor should I be looking for as far as shaft length? Any tips?

Thanks to all that reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Annapolis 26 was developed for the Annapolis Sailing School after the ranbows which were a 1960's era design. If I remember correctly the boat was derived from a MORC racer/cruiser that had been designed and built by John Holmes of Nokomis Fl. It was intended as an inexpensive boat to teach basic coastal cruising skills and for Annapolis Sailing Schools Chesapeake charter fleet. They were good boats for that purpose sailing reasonably well in the moderate conditions that they were intended for. They were never intended as blue water sailers.

I believe that the Annapolis 26's were built by Tidewater Marine which I seem to recall was in part owned by the same people who owned Annapolis Sailing School.

While these boats were moderately robust, the ones that were in charter had a lot of hard use. but while they were moderately robust, the details were cheaply executed and not all that well done and the basic systems were not done in a manner that meets reasonably current standards and so have typically needed to be reworked or abandoned. A new owner would be quick to replace dangerously out of date equipment like the pressure alcohol stove, and that hurts resale prices. These boats were intentionally kept very simple which may appeal to some, but which makes them a hard boat to sell in a marketplace that expects a lot more room, performance and creature comforts than these boats will ever have. Still, they were good boats for their day, and they represent a good boat for thier original intended purpose.

It would be easy for one of these boats tp have a negative value, meaning that the cost of new sails and a motor is more than these boats typically sell for. Still and all if you found a decent used 4hp long shaft 2 stroke and some good used sails, the boat might be worth pursuing.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 11-10-2010

RichW is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your quick reply. The boat comes with the sails, so I'm not worried about buying new ones. Here is the add:

1975 Titewater Boats Annapolis 26 sailboat for sale in Maryland

I'm taking a look at it Friday and will probably post up some pictures of it. Would a 4Hp longshaft move the boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.