Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010

kmp1284 is on a distinguished road
Gulfstar 40, by Ted Hood

I'm looking for some info on a Gulfstar 40 designed by Ted Hood, particularly sailing characteristics, build quality, things to watch for in survey, etc. I'm not normally a fan of Gulfstar but this one really caught my eye. Basically my brief, if you will, calls for a 36-42 foot moderate/heavy displacement, shoal-moderate draft sloop or cutter with with both dockside liveaboard comfort and bluewater capabilities and preferably, some aesthetic appeal. I'm not looking for a circumnavigator, but I want something that I can take offshore without having to question whether the boat can handle heavy weather. The majority of the sailing I'll be doing will however consist of day sails and weekend cruising, at least for now. At the moment I have no plans to race as I'm committed to other boats but down the road I could see participating in the occasional evening beer can race and shorter overnight races. For reference purposes, other boats I've been looking at recently include the Bristol 38.8, Passport 40, J/37, J/40, Cape Dory 36 and Sabre 36. Amontg all boats mentioned, the Gulfstar and J/40 are the only ones I have not spent a fair amount of time aboard, The particular boat I'm interested in has had many improvements made over the last several years including a new engine and engine room insulation, new prop, cutlass bearing and stuffing box, recently awlgripped topsides, new ports/hatches and new teak dorade boxes and handholds. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of electronics so I'd be adding a GPS, radar(probably a Furuno NavNet system) and an autopilot. An Espar heating system and power windlass would also be on the list of immediate improvements followed by replacing the two burner Shipmate stove with a Luke Heritage Model 5, if it fits.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
There's a Gulfstar 40 in our fleet. They have a reputation for being pretty quick. She should certainly outsail the CD and Sabre 36's, and likely the Bristol 38.8 as well. I don't think she'd pass our J/36, however. I've been aboard her, and she seemed well put together, with a roomy interior that was nicely finished. For sailing performance, the J/40 would knock any of their socks off. Unless you've got steady 20 knot breezes where you sail, make sure the Cape Dory's engine is in good running order.
Old 01-19-2011

bgytr is on a distinguished road
I grew up cruising and racing a Gulfstar 40 with my family as a kid. Of all the boats I've sailed, everything from windsurfers to 85 foot ocean boats, it's the one I miss most.

We had it on the Chesapeake Bay. The shoal draft is ideal for the Bay. It's great in moderate breeze with wind 8-20 knots. Goes upwind like crazy with that deep centerboard, we would outpoint everyone. The layout is great for coastal cruising and casual racing. My father won literally a room full of trophies with it. Built very solid.

I don't have any survey type experience, just remembering the sailing performance. Sailing weakness is downwind in a blow, it's just too heavy for those conditions, and can be a handful. Overall, a fabulous boat. If I had the chance to buy one to take my family cruising, I'd do it in a second.

The J 40 is probably faster overall, but the G-40 sailed well in 10+ knots of wind would hang pretty close, and is a very cushy ride. The other boats you mention, the G-40 should be much faster if sailed right, except for the J-37.

Last edited by bgytr; 01-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.