Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010

dennies is on a distinguished road
Question nor'sea 27 vs shannon 28

Hello to all! This is my first time asking a question and I hope you can help me. I have narrowed my search for the boat of my dreams down to the Nor'sea 27 and the Shannon 28. I'm sure either will more than meet my needs, but was wondering if there is any major reason I should pick one over the other. Mainly I would like to know if the decks have any problems with delamination. The Nor'sea has a plywood core and the Shannon, a balsa core. I have read nothing but great things about these boats but, I want the one with the least possible problems. Thanks a lot, Dennie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
While both character boats, they seem quite different to me.

The Norsea is, I believe, trailerable so that's an advantage in a tough moorage market providing you have the right vehicle (and a trailer...) but with an aft cabin in a 27 footer, the cockpit will be quite tiny compared to the Shannon.

While they both definitely have the 'look', to me the Shannon is a more classically beautiful boat, and would probably win the 'row away' test.

I was surprised to see the price ranges on YW to be quite similar, from lows in the 30K to highs 60K+. With the Shannon, there seems to be quite a range of layouts and finishes - I think they were semi-custom builds in many cases.

Overall, with glass work and leakage issues otherwise equal, a balsa core should be less problematic than plywood.

Oh - and welcome to Sailnet!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-27-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
While I think balsa makes a better core than plywood, it would depend more on the individual boat, maintenance over the years, any leaks at hardware attachment points and how quickly they were attended to. I think they are both well designed and built boats.
I agree with Faster the Shannon is a prettier boat with a better cockpit. All Shannons have had custom interiors since 1975 according to their advertising.

Last edited by mitiempo; 11-27-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-27-2010

Thankyou very much for the quick an excellent answer. Thankyou also for the welcome! Dennie

Last edited by dennies; 11-27-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2010

SeaQwest is on a distinguished road
Dennie,

I can't add a whole lot other than to say I share a similar dilemma. I have been looking at the Shannon 28 and the Pacific Seacraft Orion 27. Both are great boats and if the right one comes along, I plan on pulling the trigger!

I have heard the Nor'sea is a great boat as well. The 8' beam versus the 9'6" beam of the Shannon is a significant difference. If you seek the flexibility of trailering the boat to other ports, the Nor'sea has the edge. If roominess and storage is high on your priority list, then, I think, the Shannon has the edge.

The Shannon was an expensive-built boat and there are only about 50 of them out there. I would think most owners could afford to spent the necessary amounts to keep their custom boats ship shape. I have heard the Nor'sea was well built also, but an issue might be that many were sold as "kit" boats for owner completion.

If you are like me, you will know the right boat for you as soon as you see it. The survey will tell you if you should buy it. Have fun looking!

Jim
SeaQwest
Old 12-02-2010

Jim, Thanks for the input! It's nice to know others share my dilema. I like the Orion too. I don't think either of us can go wrong with our choices as long as, like you said , the survey is good. Thanks again, Dennie
Old 12-02-2010

LeftCoast is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine had a Shannon 28. This is back in '92? From what I recall it had really bad blistering problems. I'd look close at the hull laminate over that issue. Other than that, it remember it being really pretty.

Wow! Long time ago. I wonder if he still has that machine?

-jim lee
Old 12-02-2010
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Not all Norsea 27 are center cockpit. the more sought after and rarer is the aft cockpit version.
Old 12-03-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
I know a fellow who is refinishing his norsea 27 and wants to sell it... I'll have him stop over. He's got a mountain of pictures and such... pm me and I'll give you his number, if you'd like

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 12-31-2011

tom3215 is on a distinguished road
.....both boats are excellent ! You can parse details all day long. Most important buy a boat that was/is LOVED by it owner versus sailed only by its owner.

Secondly, just like buying a motorcycle, get on both and buy the one that really makes you excited just sitting in it, touching it and looking at it. Forget the math equation, let your heart do the talking this time. 2 years from now, you forget the 5k that you overpaid with devaluing dollars

Happy sailing

tom3215

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/70218-norsea-27-vs-shannon-28-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
nor'sea 27 vs shannon 28 - sailing answers This thread Refback 11-10-2013 03:43 PM
nor'sea 27 vs shannon 28 | item | feedraider This thread Refback 02-08-2011 08:34 PM
Sailing - Feed | Social Media Marketing, Find-Inform-Engage Audience | WebPartner This thread Refback 11-27-2010 11:16 PM
nor'sea 27 vs shannon 28 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-27-2010 11:15 PM