SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

considering a contessa 26

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  asdf38 
#1 ·
i found a completely restored contessa 26 for 22k. I am new to sailing and want to live my lifelong dream of living at sea, and sailing to the caribbean. any thoughts and or recommendations would be awesome:)

#2 ·
here is a list on what work has been done on it. and would you put 22k as the market value for such work ?

* Decks professionally re-cored
* Bottom barrier coated with 5 coats of Interprotect
* Hull, 5 coats of Perfection 2 part polyurethane
* Decks, 3 coats of Perfection 2 part polyurethane
* Rebuilt mast interior support beam
* New teak toe rail and hull to deck joint redone and strengthened
* New teak rudder cap assembly and tiller
* All exterior teak is new (see pictures)
* New Lewmar centre hatch
* New Lexan in all ports
* All deck fittings re-bedded with stainless backer plates
* Interior wood completely replaced including bulkheads
* All cushions replaced with new upholstery and foam
* New Origo gimballed alcohol stove
* New 120 volt shore power system including a new panel
* 12 volt system: 2 new DC panels, new marine grade wiring, two recent 12V batteries and built in battery charger
* LED navigation and interior lighting

* All new electronics: Raymarine VHF, speed, depth, and autopilot ST2000

* Plumbing-All new items: bronze seacocks, hoses, stainless steel sink, Fyn Spray faucet, manual and electric bilge pumps
* All new standing and running rigging, turn buckles, and SS chain plates
* New Harken traveller and mainsheet system
* New double life lines
* Custom bow roller
* New Harken #32 two speed self tailing winches
* Sails: full battened main (good), 150 genoa (good), 120 genoa (new 2009), 90 Jib (new 2009) asymmetrical spinnaker (excellent)
* Kubota 6HP diesel with low hours, new aluminium fuel tank, Racor separator/filter, new Vetus waterlock exhaust and hosing, and new raw water strainer
* Anchor, 100’ anchor rode, all safety equipment, and cockpit cushions included.

#3 · (Edited)
LOL... 100' anchor rode? Are they serious? That isn't enough to anchor the boat in most conditions safely.

For the work done... it is probably worth it, if the work was done properly. The fact that they used LEXAN in the ports makes me wonder if the work was done properly, since LEXAN really isn't the right material for ports.

I'd also be curious as to what prompted the need to do such a major overhaul. New bulkheads and mast compression post tends to indicate that the boat needed to have these replaced. If so, they were probably seriously rotted, and how did that come to be?

I'd highly recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, and use that as a guide to go over the boat with...

Reactions: Mark S.
#8 ·
Im guessing this is the contessa called "Little Minuet"

Personnaly I think The 6hp Diesel is adequate for a 26 footer, remember though that it is only an auxillary and diesel does have more power than gasoline engines.

From the pictures i've seen it appears to be new! or at least in close to new condition. There was a C26 for sale in my boat yard asking around 9K, this boat had not been used in 4-5 years and had bad fuel in the tank.

It seems like there is a very active owners association aswell.
Sounds like you could make quite a profit if you sell it.
Be sure to have a survey done

Looks like a decent boat to me if you dont mind 4? foot headroom

Good luck,

Adam

#10 ·
I realize that is an older thread but just want to add that my wife and I owned a Contests and cruised summers on her with our two infant children for 30-35 days each summer. Very small boat inside.

I agree that something major must have happens to replace all of the woodwork,(maybe a fire?)

The diesel. Our boat came with a 7.7 hp ferryman and it wasn't big enough for the tides on the west coast. There is a lot of wetted surface with this boat. We replaced with a Yanmar 10hp which was adequate but the boat was still under powered even after re-propping.

Sailed well though.

#11 ·
What speeds did you get with your Yanmar after re-propping?

I''ve also got a yanmar 1GM10 on my contessa and have been disappointed to max out at less than 5 knots. Often with a current or headwind and some growth late season I'm seeing only 3 knots at cruising RPMs (3000). I've currently got a 2 blade that I have slated to be removed and re-pitched - the engine is definitely getting up to speed so I think there is room to pitch the prop a little more aggressively. But your post piques my interest.

I debated going to a 3-blade but because of cost, and because the 2-blade doesn't spin (it hides behind the keel) I decided to keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.