Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011

Yountman is on a distinguished road
Morgan 33 Keel Sloop '69

I am looking to purchase this boat, wondering if anybody has any info on this boat. I know that not a lot of them were built, and it is not the Morgan 33 Out Islander, this is a keel boat. thanks for any info on sailing characteristics etc...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011

wanstar is on a distinguished road
What would you like to know. I own one.
Old 03-15-2011

Well, it's been a while since I posted that request for information, so now I own one too. Well, I have been quite happy so far with my new boat, I guess at this juncture I would just ask how you use generally use your boat, what conditions you typically sail in, any insights or history you know of about the design, and if you have any advise for me as a new owner of this model. Thanks! Will Yount - Morgan 33 'Salty Goat' - Oxnard, CA
Old 01-18-2012

RRLech is on a distinguished road
I am also about to purchase a Morgan 33 (1970, not Out Islander). If you happen to come across an owner's manual, I would be interested in a copy. My boat does not appear to have too many upgrades. It looks like it did when it was purchased, but for being older and missing a few items.

Rob
Old 01-18-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 33 sounds like a great boat as long as there is not too many major projects...hull should be solid and it should be fairly fast for it's day..but not knowing the boat personally I am only speculating and hope someone with actual time aboard one can offer more info of course...
Old 01-18-2012

Well, it's been a full year now since I posted my 1st request for info! So I have now sailed the boat for a while and could be an info giver instead of the receiver at this point, although I wish I could still have some give and take with WANSTAR, what happened there?! I do not have an owners manual, although I do have the original drawings for the boat and some old pamphlets describing the entire Morgan line-up of the day. As far as speed goes, I can tell you that the southern california PHRF has given me a handicap of 168 - but I have a small foresail that I have yet to replace with a %155 genoa that would be appropriate for racing around here so I couldn't say if I can sail it that fast yet or not. But it does like to sail in a breeze - I made one run back from cruising our local islands in about 25 knots of wind and was able to average close to 8 knts on the main and jib - until I get some more sail area up front hard to say how well it goes in the light stuff for racing, but it still sails well in any breeze and is a nice ride all around and I have been very happy with it, just day sailing as well as cruising locally. one question I now have is about the trim tab that is in the keel, mine was glassed in but now that I have more experience sailing the boat I am wondering what advantage I could have gotten under sail with that unusual feature...
Old 02-11-2012

Well gee whiz everybody, am I doing something wrong? everytime I post on here, get a response, or what ever I don't seem to get another response for months! I am just trying to be friendly, but come on, just tell me if I come off sounding like a ***** or something and nobody wants to answer back to me! Am I breaking some secret code of conduct or what?
Old 10-30-2012

oldntired is on a distinguished road
Re: Morgan 33 Keel Sloop '69

Hey Yountman,I'm starved for onfo on the m33 keelboat also,looking at one on the cheap and want to know how it sails in all conditions,is the keel encapsulated or bolt on? General opion on build quality etc. Thanks, Rich
Old 10-31-2012

HBar50 is on a distinguished road

Probably because the 33 CCA was only produced for a few years before the IOR rules overtook her. So there were not that many hulls built and there are not that many folks around with experience with them. I sailed one once but not really long enough to develop a real opinion. Keel is molded in encapsulated lead. Interesting feature on the one that I sailed was the fresh water tank was in the aft part of the keel.
Old 11-01-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Yountman,
This forum doesn't get much traffic. Most of the discussion happens over in the general forum even discussions regarding specific boat models and characteristics. You might try poking around over there.