Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011

batkins61 is on a distinguished road
2000 Jeanneau 36.2 vs 2003 Beneteau 361

My wife and I are looking a both a 2000 Jeanneau 36.2 and a 2003 Beneteau 361. They are both pretty similar in regards to LOA/LWL, beam, draft, rig, hardware, electronics, etc. We'll be primarily cruising in the rivers and sounds of eastern North Carolina, but also want a boat we can venture out with, perhaps up or down the coast, or to the Bahamas, etc. We are not considering any serious passage making, and blue water capabilities aren't a priority in our purchase criteria.

Is there a significant difference in construction or materials between these two? Although Beneteau owns Jeanneau, the Beneteau in question was built in the US, the Jeanneau in France (of course). Also, there are always changes in construction materials and techniques across the years, some for better, some for worse. So, I'm looking for opinions on whether there are going to be significant differences in sailing qualities, overall quality, longevity, etc.

We will definitely be getting a survey on any boat we put an offer on, so any serious problems with these specific boats should be discovered. My question is more about the manufacturers, models, and years in question.

Any opinions, especially from current or previous owners of these or similar models, would be most welcome.

TIA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Keel? Drive train?

I would pick the one with the lead keel, if either one has this. Equally important, I would pick the one with a shaft drive, unless both of them are equipped that way.
A good survey will be your guide, in any case.
And, of course, YMMV....

L
Old 02-22-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Both "should" have steel keels, both are shaft drive........ Personally like the look of the Jeanneau's over the Bene's. Jeanneau's generally spekaing are better sailing boats than Bene's. Yes they are one and the same parent. BUT< the main parent, ie Madam Roux who is the great G Daughter? of the original Beneteau lets the individual company's for the most part do there own thing.

Reality for your purpose, either will work. I personally would take the deepest draft version, but on the east coast..... shoal drafts seem to be king and or queen.

Marty
Old 02-22-2011

batkins61 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
I would pick the one with the lead keel, if either one has this. Equally important, I would pick the one with a shaft drive, unless both of them are equipped that way.
A good survey will be your guide, in any case.
And, of course, YMMV....

L
Shaft drive, as opposed to saildrive? I'm pretty sure they both have shaft drive and iron keels, but I'll check. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011

Arpegecap is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau are a cut above Beneteau in quality, construction and finishing based on my experience. Chose a 45.2 over the equivalent Beneteau and after chartering a Beneteau of similar vintage I knew I had made the right choice. The Jeanneau tends to be a bit more expensive. Both are shaft drive with iron keels.