Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011

Lamda is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your comments Puddinlegs. The last time I sailed it was about 15 years ago when I was a kid. I just know that the sail boat we were on was a 30 some feet Benneteau which I know are very good. I don't have that kind of money right now lol.

I like the Mac, Catalina, S2 and probably all of them. I just want to learn and enjoy being on the water at a reasonnable price for now.

What is the maintenance cost of a sail boat? I owe a motorbike and they are cheap to maintain if you do your stuff yourself like changing your oil, brakes and so on. So I can do a season of motorbiking for around $1,000 to $1,500 depending how often I do trackdays on my bike.

What would be the maintenance cost of a sailboat? I heard that trailable sailboat are less expensive to maintain as well? What would be the difference between a Mac a Catalina or a S2? Sorry Niel, I hope I don't ruin your thread
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
How big a "trailerable" boat can you actually launch from the trailer? I have seen small sailboats with a full keel that would be impossible from a boat ramp without a 50' tongue. A boat that requires a crane to launch loses a lot of mobility and convenience.
Old 06-15-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Great comment, Cpt. Bill. I see many boats sitting on trailers that are indeed trailerable......but do not at all appear "launchable" without a crane. Having transitioned from motor boats to sailboats, I learned that launching a sailboat of equal length required MUCH more time and effort. Mast stepping, rigging, etc...not to mention the increased draft requires more rampage.

I am also in the market for a P21 or P23, and will consider the other trailerables as well, and have been following this thread with interest.

Any comments related to the actual launching and recovery of these boats would be appreciated by this lurker as well.
Old 06-15-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamda View Post
Thanks for your comments Puddinlegs. The last time I sailed it was about 15 years ago when I was a kid. I just know that the sail boat we were on was a 30 some feet Benneteau which I know are very good. I don't have that kind of money right now lol.

I like the Mac, Catalina, S2 and probably all of them. I just want to learn and enjoy being on the water at a reasonnable price for now.

What is the maintenance cost of a sail boat? I owe a motorbike and they are cheap to maintain if you do your stuff yourself like changing your oil, brakes and so on. So I can do a season of motorbiking for around $1,000 to $1,500 depending how often I do trackdays on my bike.

What would be the maintenance cost of a sailboat? I heard that trailable sailboat are less expensive to maintain as well? What would be the difference between a Mac a Catalina or a S2? Sorry Niel, I hope I don't ruin your thread
Cost depends on many factors, especially the condition the boat's in when you buy it. As a rule of thumb, I'd say 10-20% of the price you paid for the boat. If you're racing, you're looking at the upper end. If you can store the boat on your property, well, moorage is part of your house mortgage cost.

About the 'trailerbility' of the S2, it's excellent. There's one sailed hard and often locally kept in dry storage. They have access to a hoist, but just use the trailer at the launch. If they have the mast down, they seem to get it up very quickly and have all their shrouds and stays marked for quick and correct adjustment.

Here's a link to the class association website:

S2 7.9 Class web page
Old 06-15-2011

Lamda is on a distinguished road
It's interesting. I see that the S2 seems to be a lot better boat than the MAc and Catalina. The interior is not too bad to spend the week-end and if I want to race, the S2 will be a good choice. Do you guys think it's a good boat to learn on?
Old 06-17-2011

idontwantanaccount is on a distinguished road
s2

I have always liked the S2 7.9. FYI, I believe the beam is over the legal limit for trailering w/o a permit in most states (generally 8'6"). It might be close enough you wouldn't get caught, but you might be SOL if you had an accident while trailering. FWIW I used to trailer a 5,000 lb with a 3.5 foot draft. With a tongue extension it was launchable on most ramps.
Old 06-17-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamda View Post
It's interesting. I see that the S2 seems to be a lot better boat than the MAc and Catalina. The interior is not too bad to spend the week-end and if I want to race, the S2 will be a good choice. Do you guys think it's a good boat to learn on?
I don't see why not. It's not complex, nor is it a tweaky sport boat. Personally, I'd steer someone toward a boat that sails well and is relatively standard in set up. There aren't many truly trailerable boats that fit that bill. The S2 has a good class association that can provide a lot of help and specific advice. I would take sailing lessons, or have some experienced friends/aquaintences help you get up and running. The S2 also holds its value relatively well. If you were considering a keel boat, I'd say a Thunderbird would be a nice first boat that would serve your purposes as well.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/72265-trailer-sailers-seaward-vs-precision.html
Posted By For Type Date
trailer sailers - seaward vs precision - sailing answers This thread Refback 11-13-2013 02:57 PM
SailNet Community - Powered by vBulletin This thread Refback 06-14-2011 01:00 PM