SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Center Cockpit/Raised Saloon

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MikeinLA 
#1 ·
So I have been shopping for sailboats for a while.

One of the problems I noticed with mono hulls I was looking at was that a lot of them seem to not even have 1 good bed.

Meaning the bed in the bow is so narrow my SO and I dont both fit.

And the bed in the rear has such a low ceiling I can not even lie on my side.

BTW I am a pretty big person.

So a friend of mine recommended a Center Cockpit/ Raised Saloon configuration.

He said that it had the bedroom in the back and it was higher up so some of them have actual windows and a full size bed.

Can anyone recommend a boat of this type? I am having trouble finding them on yacht world.

thank you

Andreas

See less See more
#2 ·
It would help of you stated an approximate budget, as the offerings in this department will vary from under $100K to well over $1M. Are you shopping used or new? Where are you? (affects availability and/or shipping/delivery issues)

Oh and btw.... on boats beds are berths! ;)

#5 ·
Ours is an aft cabin with a queen size bed. The aft cockpit takes away ceiling height immediately over the bed, but you can almost sit up and read. Rolling over isn't remotely a concern. One of the most cavernous master stateroom's I've seen have been on a 58 Taswell and 62 Oyster. They have their own zip codes from the rest of the boat. How far are you willing to go to get what you're looking for?

#6 ·
I guess what I am looking for is the smallest possible boat that still has a berth I can sleep comfortably on with another person.

I don't need luxury or fancy fittings, just like the idea of going on over night trips.

For example it seems the Beneteau 36CC's bed is too small because it come to a point.

a small place to cook would be great too

Andreas

#7 ·
I guess what I am looking for is the smallest possible boat that still has a berth I can sleep comfortably on with another person.
The other option is a boat you can modify. One of my previous yachts was only 25 feet, but by removing the toilet and a hanging locker I was able to have a reasonably big bed.
It was a popular 1 design boat in Australia and my yacht became know as the one with the "passion pit".
Unfortunately often the front bulkhead is structural so this cannot be done on all boats.
The saloon can also be easily modified, on most yachts, into a great bed area.
Not so good for entertaining, but this is mostly done outside anyway.

#8 ·
Many boats do have a 'convertibe dinette' that can make up a good sized double with plenty of headroom, but I can tell you that making that berth up every night and setting up the table again each morning gets really tiresome.

Way up on our 'must have' list on our last boat purchase was two 'doubles' without the dinette.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
In my student days my first flat had a double bed, kitchenette and shower/ toilet. No other space. (I could not afford a convertible couch/bed)
A bed can be a comfortable place to lie and read and even meals in bed are quite practical once you get used to the idea.
It would not suit everybody, but in a small boat a large permanent bed (no converting during the day) sacrificing the dinning room table, is an alternative that's worth considering.There is still the cockpit if you want a sit down (rather than a lie down) meal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.