Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012

Sailor07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Westwind 42 vagabond

George Stadell III designed the 38 and he lives in Connecticut. His brother is a surveyor and also lives in Connecticut. My understanding is that Jim West bought into Blue Water Builders in Taiwan and had Stadell design the 38, which I own. I'm not aware of a 39 as noted by porfin. My 38 is a 1985 hull, completed in 86 and sold in 89. The deck is glass and airex cored, not plywood. The chainplates are accessible and appear to be of high grade stainless, no problems there. The teak interior looks new. The stainless ports are by Manship and are in great shape. No leaks anywhere (tempered glass fixed ports have been replaced and rebedded). Wiring is tinned marine quality. Fuel tank is stainless and is fine. Water tanks are stainless and fine. I have none of the issues PH describes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

Sailor07 is on a distinguished road

See recent post to westwind 42
Old 05-01-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

taiwanese boats have bad rap due to rumors and other slights made toward them. each is different and deserves that respect. my metals havelastd since 1976, with few replacements, as per protocol. nothing happens as rumor states. enjoy your vagabond. i LOVE my formosa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2012

ValiantM is on a distinguished road

Dear Nancy,

I would love to find out more about the design and development of the 42 - I have had mine for 12 years - if you have any tech data your father can share it would be wonderful as I never received a handover or manual from the previous owner: I have done many many mods to my boat and would like to discuss with other owners the merits thereof etc

Thanks in advance,

Kris
Old 03-24-2013

Anesthesia is on a distinguished road

I have owned the 42 Vagabond Ketch for 3 years now.
She's a great boat. I am curious about what retro-fits you have done on your boat. I am in the process of outfitting my boat for a circumnavitation. Any thoughts on what I may want to replace or consider re-doing?
Thank you
Dan
Old 04-24-2013

MMA86E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMackintosh View Post
Was just browsing through and found your comment. I can tell you a bit more about the Vagabond Westwind and am happy to look up additional information from my Dad's notes as he designed and built them out of Blue Water factory in Taiwan. Each of the boats was of a singular hull construction, hand laid. Our family boats were a 47 that we kept in Texas and a 42 in Sarasota, Florida. I sailed most often on the 47, crossed the Gulf on her in a cruising race and loved both her lines and her comfort.
The 42 was a bit more popular with her shallower keel and was a good choice to use in the Islands. I know of one that is usually kept in St Kitts and has been used there by the same family for over a decade. I made the trip to the factory in Taiwan in the early 80's with my parents. Each hull was made one at a time. My father went to inspect every boat before she was pulled from the factory to be sent to West Coast and on from there to be commissioned and delivered. Original Engines were Lehman Deisel out of Cambridge, Uk and the masts were from France. 3 ladies hand sanded and oiled all the wood on the interior, my father was very proud of the quality of the boats both inside and out.
I hope some of this is helpful and would love to know if you found a hull to your liking.
Happy sailing, Nancy West Mackintosh
Vagabond Owners,

We purchased a Westwind 38 (Hull #1) and are very pleased with all aspects of this fine sailing vessel. Similar to Sailor 07's request, I am looking for more information (other owners, line drawings, boat history) related to the 38' edition. Nancy West Mackintosh, any information from your father's records is truly appreciated.

David Knapp
SV Serenade

Last edited by MMA86E; 04-27-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2014

Cap Coala is on a distinguished road

Hi there Nancy,
It' ve a whille since you post the quote on this forum, but I was very happy to find someone with a 1st degree contact with Vagabond maker. I am just in ove with the boat and wondering if they are still been built today. The site that I found is far from conclusive and I did not got any replay from them. Can you help me on that matter?
Thank you very much,
Old 06-03-2014

MMA86E is on a distinguished road

Please keep me posted if you hear from Nancy Mackintosh as I am still searching for the drawings of the 38 foot version and other 38 foot owners.

David Knapp