Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011

kentodd is on a distinguished road
Need opinions on sailboats less than 24 feet

Hello,

My partner and I own a 24' x 8'6" slip at Lake Tahoe. We have sailed a 1976 Catalina 22 for 30 years, and we are looking to replace it. We looked at a Catalina 25, but with the motor it sticks out of the slip over 2', and we are only allowed to stick out 12".

Can anyone recommend a boat that will fit in the slip and is comparable to or better than our old C22? I loved the C22, but my partner wants something bigger. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We're looking to spend around $15,000, so a pre-owned boat is probably in our future.

We mostly day sail, with the occasional overnight. Our season is 5 months max.

Thanks, Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentodd View Post

Can anyone recommend a boat that will fit in the slip and is comparable to or better than our old C22? I loved the C22, but my partner wants something bigger. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We're looking to spend around $15,000, so a pre-owned boat is probably in our future.

Thanks, Ken
I happen to love my Ranger 23 ... would definitely fit ...

there was one for sale in Sacramento on Craig's List for that used to be at the Naval School in Monterey ... and currently 3 for sale in San Francisco area ... with $15,000 to spend you could trick any of them out very nicely and still have enough left over for the best champagne at the re-naming ceremony ...

since you are sailing on Lake Tahoe ... I think you'd want a tall rig ...

Last edited by Cal28; 08-14-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: tall rig
Old 08-15-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Santana 22
J-22
Precision 23

These are your best options for a fixed keel on a 22 footer. They don't make a whole lot of 24' boats anymore.
Old 08-16-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
If you want to steal a little boat that seems quite a bit roomier than it actually is, a US Yachts/Bayliner Buccanneer 22' is a great little boat. It was my first, and a great little sailer.
Old 08-16-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up R-24

The Ray Richards-designed Ranger 24 should be a good fit. Built in the NW by Ranger Boats, and there's one for sale now on our local Craigslist.
I used to crew on one and they are both fast and easy to sail. Large well-laid-out cruising interior, also.

LB in PDX
Old 08-16-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
well there are C25's with diesel inboards..

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Not to disagree with the previous posters' evaluations of those models, but if your goal is to find something "bigger" than a Catalina 22 that will fit in a 24 foot slip, you don't have many choices. With all due respect, I just don't think that any of the boats mentioned above are more than $10,000 bigger than the Catalina (assuming your C-22 is worth about $5000, which I am deducing from the fact that it is over 40 years old).

If you are looking for a boat with a roomier cabin than the C22, I think you are going to be disappointed in the level of selection. One option is the Oday 23: unlike the C22, the head is behind a real door and bulkhead. And on the Mark II models (post '76), the "galley" slides under the cockpit seats (sink one side, stove on the other), leaving the salon open. However, the coach roof is fixed (no pop top on the later models), and it is only comparable in quality and price to the C22. In other words, not really a step up.

The only boat that I can think of in that size range that has a "big" cabin is the Flicka, a 20 foot Pacific Seacraft. Almost 6 feet of headroom! But she is a heavy displacement, full keel boat that might not be suitable for lake sailing. You would also have to get an older model in order to meet your price point. Also an absolute beast to trailer.

http://www.flicka20.com/Portals/30/b.../flicka_08.pdf

Now, if you are looking for a boat that is "bigger" in the cockpit area and are willing to forgo cabin space, one other option comes to mind:

The Oday Tempest is a 23 foot boat with an big cockpit; it will fit six adults comfortably. Beautiful lines too. The cabin? Not so comfortable. V berth, sink, toilet.

OdayOwners.com

If you just want a change after 30 years, then I think any of the boats suggested in this thread would be interesting options to explore. However, if you really want a boat that is appreciably bigger than a C22, you will need a different slip. IMHO, the next size boat is really the C25, and you really need to go to a 27 foot boat in order to move out of the trailer sailer sized boats. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Not to disagree with the previous posters' evaluations of those models, but if your goal is to find something "bigger" than a Catalina 22 that will fit in a 24 foot slip, you don't have many choices. With all due respect, I just don't think that any of the boats mentioned above are more than $10,000 bigger than the Catalina (assuming your C-22 is worth about $5000, which I am deducing from the fact that it is over 40 years old).

If you are looking for a boat with a roomier cabin than the C22, I think you are going to be disappointed in the level of selection. One option is the Oday 23: unlike the C22, the head is behind a real door and bulkhead. And on the Mark II models (post '76), the "galley" slides under the cockpit seats (sink one side, stove on the other), leaving the salon open. However, the coach roof is fixed (no pop top on the later models), and it is only comparable in quality and price to the C22. In other words, not really a step up.

The only boat that I can think of in that size range that has a "big" cabin is the Flicka, a 20 foot Pacific Seacraft. Almost 6 feet of headroom! But she is a heavy displacement, full keel boat that might not be suitable for lake sailing. You would also have to get an older model in order to meet your price point. Also an absolute beast to trailer.

http://www.flicka20.com/Portals/30/b.../flicka_08.pdf

Now, if you are looking for a boat that is "bigger" in the cockpit area and are willing to forgo cabin space, one other option comes to mind:

The Oday Tempest is a 23 foot boat with an big cockpit; it will fit six adults comfortably. Beautiful lines too. The cabin? Not so comfortable. V berth, sink, toilet.

OdayOwners.com

If you just want a change after 30 years, then I think any of the boats suggested in this thread would be interesting options to explore. However, if you really want a boat that is appreciably bigger than a C22, you will need a different slip. IMHO, the next size boat is really the C25, and you really need to go to a 27 foot boat in order to move out of the trailer sailer sized boats. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2011

rwall10597 is on a distinguished road
I loved my Catalina 25 and can't say enough good things about it. Is it seriously just the motor that sticks out too far? Is that with it up and kicked out? You can't just leave it vertical can you and just let the very bottom touch the water?
Old 08-17-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
You know, another thought is you could purchase one of those removable engine brackets and pull your outboard when she's in the dock. Just a thought, but that would definitely save some inches (2'?)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.