Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Folk Dancer 27, looking after lunch, experience anyone?

Going to look at a Folk Dancer 27 after lunch. Fiberglass boat, 1968, based on the folkboat but with 7 1/2 ft. beam. Never even heard of one myself, photo shows her lines that remind me of a Contessa 26 (saw one 2 days ago, also on the hard).

It just popped up for sale nearby so I have to look. Here are some specs off the net: LOA 27 ft., LWL 19' 8", Beam 7' 6", draws 4ft. with full keel, SA 256 sq ft., Displacement about 5000 lb, Ballast 2800 lbs.

Original brochures talk of designed for transatlantic passages.

Any one ever see one or sail one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I like the looks alot! Great lines.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
I like the looks alot! Great lines.
Yes, she has those beautiful curves that knock me out!

Now I'm struggling to find a "need" for her. She doesn't actually fit my lifestyle, but................, hmmmmm, maybe I need a (nother) project?

When I unexpectedly saw that Contessa 26, it felt like in inner punch to my stomach. She'd just been sold and was shipping out for Nevada (landlocked!) so it was hands off for me. I think I have a weakness.

If there is a cure, I'm not sure I want it.

Well, I won't worry till I see her condition. I'll just keep an open mind................and bring cash.

Last edited by skygazer; 09-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2011

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Folkdancer 27 is a British-made fiberglass sailboat designed by Fredk R. Parker, M.R.I.N.A and built during the 1960s (1966 -?) by Russell Marine, Ltd of Essex, England. The Folkdancer 27 (Folk Dancer 27) was based on the very successful Folkboat design.

The Folkdancer 27 stats are as follows: L.O.A. 27' 0" (8.23 m), L.W.L. 19' 8" (6.00 m), Beam 7' 6" (2.29 m), Keel long, Draft 4' 0" (1.21 m), Headroom 5' 10" (1.78 m), Berths 4/5, Sail Area 264 ft² (24.31 m²), Genoa 208 ft² (19.0 m²), Ballast 2800 lb (1270 kg), Ratio 55%, Trailing weight 4480 lb (2030 kg)."

Displacement is 2256 kg. on the blueprint I downloaded, that's closer to 5000 lbs.
Old 09-06-2011

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road
Folkboat Gandalf:
Folk Dancer 27: Photos

There is also a blog on restoring one out there, Google is your friend

fdr
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR14127 View Post
Folkboat Gandalf:
Folk Dancer 27: Photos

There is also a blog on restoring one out there, Google is your friend

fdr
Hey, thanks! Great photos, I stopped looking long enough to reply. Like that trailer also.
Old 09-06-2011

Well, I looked at the boat............a beautiful woman who's been badly mistreated, then neglected for years. She went through a rocky time that smashed off a big chunk on the bottom of the rudder, as well as breaking the rudder bottom away from the bottom pivot.
There are several smaller impacts, and especially one larger impact on the encapsulated keel that may have happened at the same time. The seal looks breached (fiberglass integrity broken). Lead does "sound" bonded to the fiberglass though. Worse still, the rudder shaft is jammed tight in the pivot tube down from the tiller. I'm afraid the impact with the Maine ledge to the rudder bent the rudder shaft and jammed it tight.

It may have happened over time, or it may be related to the impact with ledge (lots of that in the water in Maine), but the mast base shows cracking in the fiberglass supporting it. Also worse still, the support post on the starboard side has a small door hung on it, and that door is broken off and doesn't close. I'm afraid that it could also be impact related. Fortunately, the door is off by only a little, so damage may be limited and grinding/beefing up may stop all movement. I should mention that the downwards load from the mast is not supported by a center post, but by a steel bridge that carries the load to each side of the passage to the V berths, thus avoiding that darned center post. That starboard support post is part of the bulkhead, and on that side the bulkhead has some rot at the bottom, not a huge amount like some I've seen.

Incidentally, the chainplates I looked at were not fastened to wooden (and often rotting) bulkheads, but to massively built up thick sections of fiberglass. Was there wood in those thick sections? I don't know. The owner claims there is no balsa core in the decks - 1968 build date makes that believable.

He drilled through the deck so he had an opportunity to look. I did not.

Breaks my heart to see a boat like that neglected.

Last edited by skygazer; 09-06-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2011

For anyone considering this make of boat, I think I'll describe the chainplates for the shrouds better. Looking at my photos and not being in a rush, it's plain that the built up fiberglass anchors are actually a piece of wood bolted to the chainplate and glassed over.

This means that when the water does finally penetrate the deck it arrives in a closed pocket, with no where to go. The wood could turn to mush and you would not be able to tell. If it was my boat I'd drill a couple decent sized holes in the bottom to drain and test the wood, and one or two smaller ones in the top to let in air and test the wood.

It may be better to have the chainplates bolted to the bulkheads where at least you can keep an eye on them and they can dry out.

Tags
contessa , folkboat , full keel