SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yacht designs with 70+gal water tanks as part of regular specs?

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  souljour2000 
#1 ·
Any recommendations for blue water designs that have 70+gallon fresh water tanks installed as an integral part of the regular specs for a 28-32 foot yacht design?

Does such a thing exist?

I read the average water capacity in permanently installed water tanks was 105 gallons (in Jimmy Cornell's' ARC 87 Equip Survey in his World Cr Survey book).

Were these permanent tanks in the Cornell survey most likely only installed later?

#3 ·
I don't think many of the ARC boats are in the smaller size range. All it takes is a few 50+ footers with large tankage to push the average up quite a bit as well.

Adding tankage is not that difficult. Buy the boat you want for reasons other than tank size and add capacity later.

#11 ·
Agree with all.

Note also that many boats have factory option tankage that will equal your desired gallonage, like many Ericson's in the 32 to 35 foot range -- many of those had three tanks.

My Olson came with two factory tanks holding 46 gallons total, and I replaced one with a larger tank to bring our total up to 61. With our ability to use either tank via a manifold, we add water for whatever duration we need before planning a future marina visit. With more than one tank you can add or subtract to better balance the boat for performance, too.

L

#4 ·
28-32 feet would actually be prohibited from many open water races as "too small". Start thinking 36' and you'll find more tankage, more displacement, more provisioning for longer trips with bigger crews.

If you consider a typical 28-32' boat is meant for a crew of four and long weekends, more so than going offshore alone for a week...70 gallons of water is some five to six hundred pounds of water, which is already equal to the crew weight!!

#5 ·
If you consider a typical 28-32' boat is meant for a crew of four and long weekends, more so than going offshore alone for a week...70 gallons of water is some five to six hundred pounds of water, which is already equal to the crew weight!!
Speak for yourself, scrawny! :D Only if I sailed with a crew of 10 year olds.

#6 ·
Slightly larger than your 32' max but our old girl , Van de Stadt 34, carried just a smidge under 70 gallons in permanent tanks.

#15 ·
Could have been an option. I checked Yachtworld and the majority of Pearson 35's have 40 gallons of water, one has 60, and one lists 78.

In some cases the tanks may need replacement if they are decades old. Adding a tank is not too difficult a job.

#19 · (Edited)
My Columbia 40 (1965-69) has 60 gallon water listed originally....but I think it has been replaced with a bigger maybe 70+ gal new stainless steel one that is not so hidden yet under the starboard salon berth/sofa bench thingy or maybe I got alot of water capacity if there is another ...I just got the boat and don't know what I got yet really...it's on a mooring 80 miles south of me...so the few times I have visited her since I learn alot of new things about her...

In the picture you can see the tank below under the starboard sofa/bench thingy...not sure how it is anchored but it seem to be somewhat...will have to examine it sooner than later....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.