Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011

Fourbtgait is on a distinguished road
Missouri Foxttotters, have used that nickname for years with horses, so it is interesting to find someone on a sailing site who understands what it is.
I almost bought a tennessee walking mule though..........though big and beautiful, she was so high strung I knew I couldn't deal with her.
Alas, no more horses to ride, so back once again to the other side.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
ComPac cat rig, with articulating mast. Your price point is the only problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-19-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
Try a Rhodes 19. The O'Day 22 is a good choice but I agree the stepping of the mast and the rigging is a pain. The draft on the 22 is 3ft. (Shoal Keel). The Rhodes has a large cockpit, swing keel and I think you might be able to sleep 4.
Old 11-20-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
You are asking for a lot in an 18' boat. Especially finding one in your price range. I would look at a Compac 16 or 19. Not performance orientated boats. They actually probably fall in the category of slow. Another slow one to consider is the West Wight Potter, they have a huge following out west and should be readily availlably. They make both a 15 and 19.

The Oday that was mentioned are good solid boats and they should all fall in your price range. There are a couple here in my neck of the woods (sw Missouri) that are for sale in the $2000 range. The capri 18 and the precision 18 are also nice boat that can be found in that price range.
Old 11-20-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
...and the Potter is the official boat of The Price Is Right.
Old 11-22-2011

Fourbtgait is on a distinguished road
Compac cat would be nice but to pricy. Looked at Potters but to chuncky looking. Mariner 19 2+2 fits the bill but rare here. Did not make it to see Ranger 20 due to 350 miles of snow ice and mountainf pass. Guy with the windrose 20 has put me off from looking at it for 3 ries, guess he doesnt want to sell. Its easy picking out boats that fit but harder to find what is availble locally.
Old 11-22-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Walking mules... too cool, don't do well with dogs (darn)...
Foxtrotters are great too. We use walkers (some use Rockys)... and trial dogs off horseback (officially field trialing).

Strongly recommend capri 18... but keel is fixed... but its a pretty stable, towable small boat. Sails pretty decent too.
Old 12-30-2011

tom3215 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Markck. Compac 16 and 19 are good choices also.

tom3215
Old 01-14-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
What about old MacGregor Ventures? 17, 21? Think they even made a 19 and a 22 at various times. I have a 17 - I've beached it. The swing keel does hang below the hull, but it's an 800 lb. boat. Jump off the bow and shove it off the shore.... (actually just moving yourself to the bow will usually get it un-stuck) There's a youtube video of me out on the Potomac on a windy day. Advertised to sleep 4. 2 + gear wouldn't be a problem. There is no separate potty area, unless you count the entire cabin. I think they look better than a Potter and they're certainly cheap. There's no tabernacle but I'm tall but scrawny and I rig and launch it myself in 20 mins. (only 3 stays, no spreaders) It tows great behind a 6 cylinder RWD unibody station wagon. Just something to consider.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-14-2012

tom3215 is on a distinguished road
....Sealover.... I really like what you have to say about the Venture sailboats!
In a lot of ways they are the perfect boat with storage and vehicle constraints!
For myself I confess to being a sailboat polygamist and every month let my mind wander and consider the next sailboat love affair. That said, there would certainly be room in my pole shed for a Venture series sail boat. Certainly a plus
to move a boat around easy and explore all the "other" beautiful areas that
do not see much sailing !

Happy sailing
tom3215