Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011

Fourbtgait is on a distinguished road
Trailerable lake boat

Hello everyone;
For some time now I have been haunting the forums, exploring old leads and messages, trying to learn more indepth of what I am looking for as I can't find or think of everything. So here goes.
Leisure sailing on mountain likes in Washington, Idaho, Montana, from 100 acres on up to the size of Ponderay in north Idaho or Flathead in Montana. Typical winds are from 8 mph to 15/18 mph in a day when you factor in the heat sinks and surrounding mountains, typical gusts up to 20/25 with higher at times. If you know mountain lakes then you know what I mean.
1. Shallow draft, under 16 inches, prefer no keel/skeg for ease of beaching at times.
2. Long cockpit, minimum of 6 feet 6 inches
3. Good cockpit storage
4. Swing rudder
5. Swing keel
6. Small cabin but capable of sleeping in with remodel of v berth, 4í min. headroom? yes I know, difficult.
7. Porta potti room
8. Fairly dry sailing
9. Self draining cockpit
10. No need for a sink or stove
11. Tabernacle mounted mast
12. Dry sailing
13. Flotation material built in
14. Good initial stability
15. Self righting
16. Fairly close to wind sailing
17. Listed empty weight of under 2,000
18. 16-20 feet, preference is 18-19 feet
19. Good resale value
20. Lets put a max price of $3,500 on it.

I have limited the length as I have found in the past that even though a 22 foot O'day or Catalina is trailerable, it is a pain, taking 30-60 minutes by myself to put rigging up then down again, ended up putting it in a slip to use it more, so might as well have bought a 25 footer or longer then. I do not plan on racing it, more of leisurely sailing, 6-10 times a year singlehanded. I don't want a dog but I am not in need of a greyhound either.

What comes to my mind first is an O'day mariner 2+2, I suppose I have based most boats on that one, though have not seen one yet as the closest one is over 500 miles away that I know of.
There is a 20' Windrose (Laguna) for sale local I will look at this weekend, but so little information on the web about them.
Yes, I have thought of a SJ 21, don't care for the looks of the Mk I, but they are holding their prices around here, up to 3-4K. the O'day 192 and 20' aren't bad, but I really dont like the skegs as they may dig into the bottom if trying to beach. Thought of the WWP 19, but hear they are a little wet, slow, imho a little ugly and the price of one local is 5k.
Repairs don't bother me, I have recored boats before to where no one ever knew.

Thoughts, debates?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011

bgeddes is on a distinguished road
I was going to tell you my 192 meets all the requirements except I don't think the cockpit is a full 6'6", but it is close.

Your prices may vary, but we bought our boat, this summer, from the original owner for less than $2K on a trailer. Granted it was not out fitted at all (no outboard, no electronics) but it is in great shape.
Old 11-02-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Precision 18, but the 4' headroom is a bust (its a shoal keel/centerboard combo). Good luck finding one for under $4k, but in this market, its "possible."

The Capri 18 is a better boat, but heavier, and deeper draft (26"). Cockpit is 6'8" on the capri, I think 6'4" on the precision (both production boats that have decent resale as they are still made and parts are readily available). On the precision there is a keel though... so it's not much different then the 192 in that regard.

The 192, is probably your compromise boat, but it's resale is likely less than a precision.

This is a better question for the trailersailor board...

Was thinking catalina 22, yeah big, but even with the swing keel it still sits below the bottom of the hull. Frankly I can't think of any design that leaves you with a round bottomed sailboat. Centerboards do, but you are looking for a cruiser.
Old 11-02-2011

I thought of Precision 18 also but have not seen any for sale in the 4 state region. Same as with a Sanibal 18. Or a catboat.
Been there done that with a 22 footer, might as well buy 25 then and if doing that, settle down with 27 for an all around boat.
But this is a small one for ease, with a large cockpit to enjoy others company or to sleep in occasionally.
Hence the thought of the mariner, but was not sure of other boats that are comparable to it.
Old 11-02-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

If you are shopping in the Pacific NW, check out a Ranger 20. We cruised and raced one in OD local races for five years. Trailered it to mountain lakes and to Puget Sound.
One of the best sailing smaller cruisers ever built. Period.
Ray Richards-designed, and built in the main factory in Kent WA, and also under contract in Salt Lake City.
I used to tow it with a four-cylinder compact pickup.

There are over 600 of them out there and I have seen very good ones for under 3K.
The Portland fleet is still very active, racing and cruising.

Best,
LB
Old 11-17-2011

Thanks Olson34 reminding me of the Ranger 20. I had dismissed it due to the depth of keel and the looks of it strikes me as odd at first. But going back and researching it more indepth, yes, I think for all around use it matches what I am looking for. Though they are not easy to find even here in the PNW. One beautiful yellow hull in the tri-cities though I stumble on the price. But I am going Friday to look at another for half the price that from pics and description is in good shape. Though wife keeps reminding me I need to finish building the one boat and might think of selling others, she thinks 5 is to many boats.
Old 11-17-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
The Cal21 matches alot of your criteria. 6knots, beaches nice and flat, capable of surfing, swing keel, 9" draft, decent cabin, Could sleep 6 in a pinch, bigish cockpit, 1100#s...and I sail mine exclusively on mountain lakes.
Old 11-17-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
4 beat gait? Walkers, trotter, or rocky?
Old 11-17-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Mules...
Old 11-18-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
interesting....