Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012

handsomebob is on a distinguished road
Re: Snipe or Coronado 15 for first boat?

thanks for the feedback snider and eyeshot. I agree the Snipe will be a lot of work. One thing going for me is that I have a Snipe mentor willing to take me under his wing. I still am keeping the C15 and Mutt options open. The Scot is still #1 and I have access to borrow one as well as a Snipe at my club. For now I think I am going to focus on those two for the summer and see how it goes. Who knows maybe I will get both.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2012

okay, 7 months later I finally purchased the Snipe. I figured is best to go with what is being raced at my club. My objective is to learn to sail well and I think the Snipe will be better for me than the Scot for now. I plan to single hand some and that was also a factor. Once I can sail safe I will feel more comfortable taking my wife and kids out. Then maybe a Scot.

I might launch her this weekend if the winds are calm. I know you all are glad to see a newbie actually pull the trigger. All my dreaming can stop now and it's time to get to learning and work towards joining the races.
Old 10-26-2012

single handed my Snipe yesterday in light winds @ 5 mph. First time out alone so I used the main only. no problem tacking. I will use the jib next time if winds are again light. It was a little tippy but I will get used to that. Very easy to launch and recover back on trailer alone. The FS seems so large in that respect. I think I made a good choice. It will be perfect to learn on and hone my skills to start to race. The sails are shot but okay for day sailing.
Old 10-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Good for you HandsomeBob.
What year is your Snipe from? I sailed on a wooden Snipe at a camp in the Adirondack Mtns. as a teenager. It was a fun boat to sail but was not rigged as neatly as today's racing Snipes that have every sail shape control known to mankind rigged.
SNIPE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It is good to be able to sail with just the main sail and with both the main and jib. It is a little more work for one person to handle both sails but should be easier in light winds.

I heard a one design racer at my club make a comment about the FS. The comment was critical of how narrow the gunnels of the boat are so narrow and therefore pretty uncomfortable when you have to hike out. The Lightning has gunnels that are nearly 1' wide making hiking out fairly comfortable.

Good for you for moving ahead!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Was going to suggest not bothering with the Snipe, and going right for the FS (though I'm no fan, if that's the best of what's on the lake, that's the one to go for) but am too late.

Last edited by paulk; 10-26-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Good for you HandsomeBob.
What year is your Snipe from? I sailed on a wooden Snipe at a camp in the Adirondack Mtns. as a teenager. It was a fun boat to sail but was not rigged as neatly as today's racing Snipes that have every sail shape control known to mankind rigged.
SNIPE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It is good to be able to sail with just the main sail and with both the main and jib. It is a little more work for one person to handle both sails but should be easier in light winds.

I heard a one design racer at my club make a comment about the FS. The comment was critical of how narrow the gunnels of the boat are so narrow and therefore pretty uncomfortable when you have to hike out. The Lightning has gunnels that are nearly 1' wide making hiking out fairly comfortable.

Good for you for moving ahead!
It is an 88 McLaughlin. The controls will become familiar with time. I most likely won't use them all for a while but will need to know where they are and their purpose. I noticed most of the sail manufacturers have free tuning guides specific to the boat that look very helpful.

Tags
coronado 15 , first boat , snipe