Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012

telecam is on a distinguished road
Beneteau Oceanis 37 vs Jeanneau SO 379

Hello all,

Just joined Sailnet and on the way to fulfill my dream, buying a new boat. I narrowed down my choice to either Jeanneau SO 379 or Beneteau O 37 (I am French...). Jeanneau's quotes I got are almost 20k above the B. Any thoughts on either boat would be greatly appreciated. Take care.
lautzy likes this.

Last edited by telecam; 04-14-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 37 vs Jeanneau SO 379

Hi,

I see it like that: The Oceanis 37 is probably the best 36/37 cruiser from tha market segment regarding the previous generation (I believe the boat is to be substituted very shortly). Several members have them and they have all posted nice things about the boat particularly in what regards speed and safety in downwind sailing. The boat has also a great interior with lots of storage.

The Jeanneau 379 (don't be mislead it is a 36ft boat, the Oceanis is actually bigger) is a boat from the new generation. You can compare the interior and storage. I never had been inside that one but I suspect I would prefer the Oceanis interior. Regarding sailing the Jeanneau has a performance option (and the Oceanis has not) and regarding the boat with that option I suspect it will make a significant difference to the Oceanis, but then I guess that difference in price will be a lot bigger.

Regarding the standard Jeanneau 379, the Jeanneau is about 200kg heavier, has less tankage (that I think can be increased as an option).

Regarding sailing if we consider the furling option, the Jeanneau has only 62.2m2 comparing with 67.8 from the Oceanis. With a traditional main the Jeanneau has 70m2 of sail. With a traditional main the performance of both boats should be really close if we take into consideration that the Oceanis is slightly lighter.

Regarding righting moment the Oceanis should be a more powerful boat: The draft and ballast are about the same (with bit advantage to the jeanneau that has a more modern and efficient keel) but the Oceanis has a lot more beam ( 3.79 to 3.92) and that will give it a bigger RM.

The Oceanis will be better downwind and from 60ļ up but slightly worst in pointing ability and against the wind specially with waves. The rigging is also better on the Jeanneau in what regards that with the possibility of a self taking jib that has a better angle.

20K is a lot of money but the Oceanis 37 will devalue a lot when a new model appears and that can be in this year. If you are going to keep the boat for a long time it is another story and I guess you could even find a better price on that Oceanis and you can add a self taking jib or a small traveler over the cabin for a Jib.

It is up to you. Start by the interior and storage and if in doubt, just test sail both boats, the feeling at the wheel is something very important and you can only feel that sailing the boat.

Don't forget also to compare the price of both boats with the same equipment.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2012

Paulo, thanks so much for your take on this and spending the time looking at the specs. These are very good thoughts. I have sailed a lot of 470 dinghys in my youth but have no experience with cruisers so, I am kind of learning it all over again and this forum is a fantastic help.

Take care,
Old 04-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Paulo is indeed our resident expert on all the new offerings (some beauties in the EU that never seem to make it across the pond included - were I shopping a new boat there are some gems in that group... but shipping would of course add to likely-already-pricier boats.

The Jeanneau chine look is growing on me, there's a 379 at a local broker that, externally, looks interesting but I'd not be surprised if the Oceanus is a more liveable boat on the cruising side.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-15-2012

Chuteman is on a distinguished road

I have not been on either but around the Beneteau Oceanis line from 37 thru 50 a lot including the 43 I have now.
I looked really hard at the Jeanneau 409 when it was introduced. The 439 which was on my short list trailed it by almost 6+ months in some areas in USA. The hull shape and several bells/whistles on Jeanneau are really nice i.e.; main sheet routing.

Just saw a new Beneteau Oceanis 50 at the Strictly Sail Pacific show and they have copied the chine ( some other things) which is also used on the Sense line.

Also went on the Jeanneau 509 - VERY nice.......especially down below which a couple of hard core racers thought was too "foo-foo" but I thought it was stylish yet functional.

What is most important to You? Performance, Comfort, other(s)?
How do You plan to Use the boat? weekends, racing, long distance cruising?

Best advice = Spend time on both.....lots of time. Walk the docks & see if You can talk to some owners & get aboard. More than a few dealers will take prospective buyers out for test sails. But the most important part, is to go back the 2nd & 3rd time because You will get past "emotional" reactions, see things you did not see the other times.
Charter them first if possible - With this much $$$ at stake, you do not want to have any regrets
Good Luck with a fun pursuit

P.S. Just noticed your DC location - lucky You = Both Mfg are well represented in Annapolis - You can get rides with no problem + find owners to talk to........do You plan to sail in that area?

Also here's link to Beneteau & Jeanneau owner's sites
http://jeanneau.proboards.com/index.cgi#general

http://beneteau.sailboatowners.com/
Faster likes this.

Last edited by Chuteman; 04-16-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2012

davaar is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the same dillema but when I really got my head round the 379 cockpit advantages the B37 just isnt in the same league. I now own a 379 with standard fin keel. Nothing has disappointed me with this boat. She is fast and very easy to handle with the twin wheels. The german mainsheet works well and she tracks upwind brilliantly. With an almost vertical bow section you get a boat with a very long waterline. The combination of the waterline length and aft quarter chines all works very well for upwind speed and angle.

I dont know why Paulo thinks its 36ft! Its definitely 37ft 37.2 feet to be exact. The beam is 12.5ft so I dont know why he thinks it is smaller than the B37. The cockpit seating on the B37 is in my opinion very dissapointing totally flat and with only one relatively small wheel virtually impossible to helm from the side of the boat. My last boat was a B361 so I was already acutely aware of this problem.

As for accomodation I have the owners version of the 379. The heads are huge with a full size wc. The interior woodwork is light in colour as opposed to B dark. Jusat a matter of taste I have been used to both and dont have a preference.

I have no doublt that when the new B37 comes it will be much more like the 379 with twin wheels and much better cockpit ergonomics. Until then the 379 wins hands down in my humble opinion.
lautzy likes this.
Old 05-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post

P.S. Just noticed your DC location - lucky You = Both Mfg are well represented in Annapolis - You can get rides with no problem + find owners to talk to........do You plan to sail in that area?

Also here's link to Beneteau & Jeanneau owner's sites
Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home

BeneteauOwners.com - Home
Yes, will sail the Chesapeake for now and may get out to the Bahamas or down to the BVI once I get comfy with her. Thanks for your insight.
Old 05-31-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davaar View Post

I dont know why Paulo thinks its 36ft! Its definitely 37ft 37.2 feet to be exact. The beam is 12.5ft so I dont know why he thinks it is smaller than the B37. The cockpit seating on the B37 is in my opinion very dissapointing totally flat and with only one relatively small wheel virtually impossible to helm from the side of the boat. My last boat was a B361 so I was already acutely aware of this problem.

Davaar, boats sizes refers normally to Hull lengths not to Overall length. Bowsprits , anchor rollers and anchors are not considered when referring the size of a boat. The Hull Lenght of the Jeaneau 376 is 36'. The hull lenght of the Beneteau Oceanis 37 is 36' 6".

Regarding Overall length, the Jeanneau has 37'2" and the Oceanis 37'8". So if you think you can call the 379 a 37ft, you have to call the Oceanis 37 a 38fter. But in reality, according with the way boats are measured, the 379 is a 36ft boat and the Oceanis 37 is a 37ft boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2012

Chuteman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
Yes, will sail the Chesapeake for now and may get out to the Bahamas or down to the BVI once I get comfy with her. Thanks for your insight.
Again, lucky You = sailing area at least on the east coast

Definitely get down to Annapolis and look at the boats hard at the dealers, the Charter companies will have them in the fleet too & marinas where owners (if approached properly) will be happy to show off their boat, answer all your questions and might even be willing to offer a ride.
You can also contact area sailing / yacht clubs who have beer can / other racing going on where skippers are always looking for crew even if only rail meat.

Shopping - Fun and costs 0$.......
I hope to get a chance to sail on the 439 & 509
Old 05-07-2013

jlasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
Hello all,

Just joined Sailnet and on the way to fulfill my dream, buying a new boat. I narrowed down my choice to either Jeanneau SO 379 or Beneteau O 37 (I am French...). Jeanneau's quotes I got are almost 20k above the B. Any thoughts on either boat would be greatly appreciated. Take care.
I am curious, what did you buy? I am currently facing a similar decision and am hesitant between these 2 sailboats. I am also considering the Jeanneau 41DS, any opinion?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/86218-beneteau-oceanis-37-vs-jeanneau-so-379-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Beneteau Oceanis vs Jeanneau SO This thread Refback 08-18-2014 07:04 AM