Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

PMCunha is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau SO 36i for Med cruising

Hi

I would like to know if you could share your thougts on which is the most suitable boat for a couple and a pet to do some coastal cruising in the Mediterranean (Portugal to Greece and back in no hurries). Jeanneau Sun Odissey 36i or bigger?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

PMC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: Jeanneau SO 36i for Med cruising

Hello PMC,

I am afraid I can't yet comment for myself but there are lots of very knowledgable members in the community so I am sure that you will get some answers fairly quickly.

I too intend to do some cruising in the med and so will be following this thread closely. What is your pet?

I have been looking around myself for 36ft (and upwards) boats trying to get a feel for what I might like and to teach myself a little bit about what is out there for sale. Personally I am more or less settled on a pearson 37 as I am very keen on a centreline double berth, but can't find one in the Uk so bringing one back from the states will be an adventure lol

I have also been looking closely at a hunter passage 42, that seems to be a lot of boat for the money but the consensus on here seems to be that they are not well suited 'for blue water' cruising.

Most likely first question will be what is your budget?
Old 04-17-2012

Hey there
I'm a proud owner of a lazy, fat chocolate Lab.
I too have heard not too good things about Hunter.
Budget limited to EUR 100k with fittings and equipment.
Old 04-18-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

You should not have too many issues with the "i" series Jeanneau, or the previous SO35/37 versions or for that matter, the SF versions ether.

The 39i might be a bit better, only because it is bigger. or the older SO/SF40 versions that the 39i replaced. If you can find a 39iP, you will have a pretty good performer. There is a fellow that has taken his from Lake Ontario down to the med and back on the east coast of the US. Also races one or two of the races on the lake included the ontario 300 ea year.

You might also look at www.jeanneau-owners.com for some info on Jeanneau's from other owners, there is also a forum that is linkable on that site.

Marty
Old 04-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCunha View Post
Hi

I would like to know if you could share your thougts on which is the most suitable boat for a couple and a pet to do some coastal cruising in the Mediterranean (Portugal to Greece and back in no hurries). Jeanneau Sun Odissey 36i or bigger?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

PMC
Hi, PMCunha,

Let me clarify one thing: When I said that you should look for an Hanse 40 I was not by any means trying to say that a Jeanneau 36I is not adequate for cruising on the med, specially with two and a dog. A 32 ft boat youl be adequated to many.

Actually I thought you were a friend of mine, Pedro Cunha, that is an experienced sailor and that Hanse 40 suggestion was directed to him (he owns a smaller Hanse).

Even if you can find a bigger boat for the same money (and that was what I was talking about) a bigger boat implies more sailing experience with a small crew (or solo), slightly more expensive maintenance (36ft to 40ft) and in some cases more expensive marina.

It has the advantages of having more space, more speed and seaworthiness (for the same type of boat) assuming you know enough to handle it, otherwise it could be a problem to you and a disadvantage instead of an advantage.

Regarding that line of Jeanneau (the one before this one), as Marty points out, they are good boats, relatively fast but all share a small disadvantage in what regards cruising: They don't have much storage space. We (my wife and me) were looking at new boats for a long time and she is interested mainly with practical things that she regards as its responsibility. Some years ago when I was looking with interest to a Jeanneau 42I performance she vetoed the boat. According to her the boat has less storage space than the boat we had at the time, a 2003 Bavaria 36.

I am not saying that you don't have enough storage space in a Jeanneau 36I. That is a very personal thing, I mean the things you need to travel extensively: drinking water, provision, cloths, sails and safety equipment, it is up to you and your wife to decide about that. If the storage space will satisfy both of you then 36i is more than adequate.

Your question : "which is the most suitable boat for a couple and a pet to do some coastal cruising in the Mediterranean" has not an answer because that would depend of personal tastes regarding sailing, way of life, personal experience and available money.

MY suggestion: Don't fix yourself on a single brand but on a type of boat and in a minimum and maximun size and see what the market has to offer. That way you have chances to find a better deal. The way the boat is equipped is very important. Equipment is very expensive but don't add much value to a boat so try to find boats very well equipped for cruising. Most of them are not.

Besides the Jeanneau 36i you can look for other similar boats: Bavaria 36, Oceanis 37, Dufour 36, Hanse 37, Salona 37, First 36.7, Elan 37. If you have the sailing experience you can also look for the size up, I mean 39/40ft from the same brands. Sometimes the difference in price is not much if any at all.

Spain, Portugal and Italy are good places to buy boats right now. Economy is down and many people needs to sell. There is a big difference between asking price and selling price but not for all, just for the ones that really need to sell.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

+1 ~ That's good advice
Old 04-19-2012

Excelent advice.
Thank you.

PMC
Old 05-04-2012

Hey there
Thank you for all your comments and good, sound, advises.
I would, however, require further assistance.
Is radar a must? Yes or no? Suggestions?
Is spinnaker a must? Asymmetric? Suggestions?
Looking forward to your comments.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure about a radar......I do not use myself here in Puget sound where I sail, know lots that do........but I think it is foggier here more days than I understand it to be in the med, hence probably why many have it.

Spinnaker........have to say, from a downwind standpoint, my 30' boat usually gains a knot or two depending upon wind speed. If the wind is above say 15-20 a lot , not sure a spin for many is a wanted need. Above 20 or so the advantages of a spin become smaller as the wind approaches say 30 knots. If a couple, then above 20 is sometimes easier doing a wing on wind with a jib poled out, or go slightly off dead down wind and gybe down wind.

My opinion only.

Marty