SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Reviews (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/)
-   -   Catalina 320 vs Hunter 336 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/87759-catalina-320-vs-hunter-336-a.html)

kwilson1033 05-24-2012 05:00 PM

Catalina 320 vs Hunter 336

I am looking at two boats in the local area. A 1995 Catalina 320 and a 1995 Hunter 336. Does anyone have thoughts about these two boats. The owner of the Catalina is asking about $10000 more than the Hunter. They both seem to be in good condition and are similarly equipped. I will probably be making an offer in the next two weeks as I am going out of town. I would appreciate any insights.

Ken

JimsCAL 05-24-2012 06:58 PM

Re: Catalina 320 vs Hunter 336

I looked at the Catalina 320 when I was shopping a couple of years ago. My reasons for eliminating it from my short lists were: poor storage, small vee berth, and the what-were-they-thinking floating glass and cup storage over the sinks. Boat seemed to reasonably well made but decided I just didn't like the layout.

Faster 05-24-2012 07:01 PM

IMO the Catalina is a much better boat than the H336 on a number of levels, not least the styling and the backstayless rig of the Hunter. You might want to compare the 320 with a slightly older (90-94) Hunter 35.5 which I think is a much better boat than the 336.

A possible 'big deal' difference for you would be the Catalinas' lead keel vs the Hunter's iron keel, and the fact that most all the Hunters are wing keel/shoal draft (which you may not want) I think the 35.5's layout trumps the Catalinas, the 320's cockpit is probably the better of the two; while I prefer the H 35.5's fractional rig.... and on it goes.....

EDIT: Jim's right about the V berth and minimal storage of the 320.. but for a couple the Vberth issue will be your guests' problem, the aft berth is quite spacious.

christyleigh 05-25-2012 10:11 AM

I had a C320 for 6 years before my current boat and loved it. As for storage there isn't much inside except for under the seats and berths, but outside I think there is lots of room. There is room for a couple of people (well, I'm a little guy) to get into the port cockpit lazerette. There is a lot of space under the rear seats that is connected to the whole rear end of the boat. I have stored 2 folded bikes and a deflated dingy and plus lots of other stuff in that lazerette not even using the whole back area. Even with the Queen sized berth below there is a lot of room in that fat azzed boat back there ;)

Sanduskysailor 05-25-2012 10:52 AM

When it comes to sailing ability the Catalina wins. Double spreader rig, narrow shroud base, masthead rig versus B&R rig fractional with swept back spreaders and no backstay. If the 320 has a conventional fin keel there is no comparison sailing upwind with these 2 boats. Reaching is about equal with the Catalina sailing considerably better with deep wind angles especially wing and wing. OTOH- if you are looking for dock queen/cottage the Hunter might be a better fit.

PalmettoSailor 05-29-2012 11:55 AM

I'm with Faster and Christyleigh in prefering the C320 over any Hunter, but especially one with the B&R rig. The Hunter Legend would be a much better choice that a B&R rigged boat IMHO.

I also agree with the storage comments. The interior storage of the 320 is minimal, but the outside storage is pretty impressive for a 32'er.

If you don't often take guests a 320 might be a great boat choice, but you might also consider an older C34 or even C36 which you might be able to find for a similar price.

I know there are active Catalina owners groups for all three boats, and Hunter may well have similar support groups. That said, I bet you can't call Hunter and talk to the guy that designed your boat like a Catalina owner can. Their support, even for orphaned designs, is outstanding.

Good Luck finding the prefect boat for your needs and wants.

chuck53 05-29-2012 04:57 PM

I've got a older C-34 which has a lot more space than a C-32' (V-berth is huge) and I've got a buddy with a C36. Interior space and overall size between the 2 is very close but they have completely different layouts.
Support on the C-34 owners website is incredible.

dsullyec1 09-28-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 877134)
I'm with Faster and Christyleigh in prefering the C320 over any Hunter, but especially one with the B&R rig. The Hunter Legend would be a much better choice that a B&R rigged boat IMHO.

I also agree with the storage comments. The interior storage of the 320 is minimal, but the outside storage is pretty impressive for a 32'er.

If you don't often take guests a 320 might be a great boat choice, but you might also consider an older C34 or even C36 which you might be able to find for a similar price.

I know there are active Catalina owners groups for all three boats, and Hunter may well have similar support groups. That said, I bet you can't call Hunter and talk to the guy that designed your boat like a Catalina owner can. Their support, even for orphaned designs, is outstanding.

Good Luck finding the prefect boat for your needs and wants.

Why don't you like the B&R rig? I'm interested to know the downfalls of it. Watching the Hunter Video which explains how much more stable the boat is with the B&R is pretty believable...but the proof is in the sailing, right? What is your experience with this?