Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

SloopNanoose is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts on a 1970 "Seasmoke" 40' Sloop?

I'm getting ready to come home from the middle east soon and looking for a new home on the east coast. Before I came over here, I lived aboard a Hunter 31 in Bremerton, WA so I know I enjoy living aboard and love sailing so I decided I'm doing it again. So my plan as of today, is to sell my boat in WA and buy one a little larger and live aboard her. I'm searching for inexpensive vessels and I found one that I could easily afford, and she is in need of work, so I'm thinking if I'm lucky, I can do some customization in the process of refitting her. The one I'm interested in is a 1970 40' Seasmoke. I haven't seen any of these before, so I'm wondering if anyone has any general observations or knowledge about strengths and weaknesses inherent in the design.

Thank you,

Michael Cahoon
Sloop Nanoose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Re: Any thoughts on a 1970 "Seasmoke" 40' Sloop?

Is it the ferro that's for sale?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-08-2012

Yes, it is. Is that a good thing?
Old 06-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopNanoose View Post
Yes, it is. Is that a good thing?
Generally not considered to be. There are a few good ones out there but the majority are not worth spending money on. Their resale value is virtually nil due to their rep (due to all the junky ones).

At one time ferro boats were huge bargains due to their rep, even the good ones, as they all got tarred with the same brush but now you can get needy fiberglass boats so cheap that ferro is not really worth considering.

That is unless you can get one of the good ones for the price of the junk from an owner who is tired of trying to sell it.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-08-2012

Thank you very much for your insight!
Old 06-08-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

You should contact CharlieCobra (a member here). He's restoring some real classic beauties that he wants to sell. He's very affordable - and does some of the best work around...hands down. If you're looking to do some customization while you go - he's definitely your guy.

Here's his website:

Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-09-2012

Smackdaddy,

I'm actually planning to be doing this acquisition on the East Coast, and I see that he is based here in the Puget Sound. But I do appreciate the recommendation! I have my current vessel Nanoose docked here in the Puget Sound and am anticipating selling her, so if I find she has issues when I get home I will definitely be in touch with him!
Old 06-22-2012

BillAU is on a distinguished road

G'day mate,

The Seasmoke's were designed by Samson Yachts, Hartley now sell the Samson plans.
If you're talking about this Seasmoke on YachtWorld, then I think it would be a good buy at $7,500, you'll most likely pick it up for five grand. I only wish it was being offered here in Australia for that price, I would have bought it six months back...Oh well, I'll keep looking this side.
BTW, Colin Brooks has written a great book on FC boats, Ferro Cement Boats, imho, it's a great book and well worth the selling price of $45 Colin Brooks has been designing, building, surveying and repairing FC boats for 35 years or more...Yes, he gets his hands dirty and he's the man I listen to on the matter of FC boats
Good luck with things,

Oh! The Seasmoke...Were I in the States...I would buy it in a heart-beat at that price

Bill
Australia

Last edited by BillAU; 06-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
G'day mate,

The Seasmoke's were designed by Samson Yachts, Hartley now sell the Samson plans.
If you're talking about this Seasmoke on YachtWorld, then I think it would be a good buy at $7,500, you'll most likely pick it up for five grand. I only wish it was being offered here in Australia for that price, I would have bought it six months back...Oh well, I'll keep looking this side.
BTW, Colin Brooks has written a great book on FC boats, Ferro Cement Boats, imho, it's a great book and well worth the selling price of $45 Colin Brooks has been designing, building, surveying and repairing FC boats for 35 years or more...Yes, he gets his hands dirty and he's the man I listen to on the matter of FC boats
Good luck with things,

Oh! The Seasmoke...Were I in the States...I would buy it in a heart-beat at that price

Bill
Australia
Bill, I think you'll find that ferro boats here are not generally up to the standards found in Oz and Europe. There they were largely built by pro's while here they were largely built by hippies & dreamers.

I knew John Samson and Chris Deiner, his foreman when they were in their heyday in production in Richmond. John was an interesting eccentric and a hell of a promoter but he had some screwy ideas about boatbuilding. For example, there is a C-Quin for sale here that they built. It's one of the better ferro boats around but it floats a FOOT or more below its lines. Chris told me that John wanted to eliminate all the areas that could trap water in the hull. He had read about how they would sometimes fill these areas with pitch in old wooden boats so he decided to imitate them, but with CEMENT. You can imagine how much weight it would take to sink a 44' boat a foot or more - Tons!

That was done by the main promoter and one of the better builders of ferro boats here. The ones I've seen from Oz & Europe were to a much higher standard - perhaps only because they were the ones that had successfully made it here.

There are a few well built ones here - I know of a C-Breeze on the island that is very nice and I've seen an Endurance 35 that was indistinguishable from glass but they are the rare exceptions here. Even the better built ones tend to have kinks in the sheer and/or other very basic flaws.
Faster likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-02-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I knew John Sampson ......John was an interesting eccentric and a hell of a promoter but he had some screwy ideas

Remember the ads he used to run in PY in the 80s??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.