Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

The Vancouver 27, from a quick search, displaces 8,960 lbs and the Vega 5,148 lbs. They are both small boats and I would expect very similar costs to maintain either. I don't see why the Vancouver would cost as much as a 32ft or 34ft boat. In both the case of the Vancouver and the Vega one would expect simple systems. There just isn't the space to start loading on a lot of complex systems on a boat this size. Another advantage of the Vancouver with its higher displacement is that it is likely able to carry more weight in supplies before its sailing ability is compromised.
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
The Vancouver 27, from a quick search, displaces 8,960 lbs and the Vega 5,148 lbs. They are both small boats and I would expect very similar costs to maintain either. I don't see why the Vancouver would cost as much as a 32ft or 34ft boat. In both the case of the Vancouver and the Vega one would expect simple systems. There just isn't the space to start loading on a lot of complex systems on a boat this size. Another advantage of the Vancouver with its higher displacement is that it is likely able to carry more weight in supplies before its sailing ability is compromised.
The displacement of the Van 27 is nearly double that of the Albin. Boat expenses go up more in relation to displacement than LOA. These days 10K Lbs is pretty typical for 32'-34' boats so I would expect the size of gear needed and so forth to be similar to the Van 27.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012

I see your point John, and normally I would agree. It's just that when you talk about such a small, simple boat I don't think the displacement will make much of a difference in the maintenance costs. The Vancouver may have a bigger anchor, perhaps a new suit of sails will cost a bit more, etc. We're still talking inexpensive boat costs for both boats. Both the Vega and the Vancouver are pretty much perfect pocket cruisers. Our friend Agri is in a win-win decision situation. Personally, I'd go for the Vancouver if it surveyed well as I like the layout better and I believe it's a tougher cruiser (and it was designed specifically as a small offshore cruising boat).
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
I see your point John, and normally I would agree. It's just that when you talk about such a small, simple boat I don't think the displacement will make much of a difference in the maintenance costs. The Vancouver may have a bigger anchor, perhaps a new suit of sails will cost a bit more, etc. We're still talking inexpensive boat costs for both boats. Both the Vega and the Vancouver are pretty much perfect pocket cruisers. Our friend Agri is in a win-win decision situation. Personally, I'd go for the Vancouver if it surveyed well as I like the layout better and I believe it's a tougher cruiser (and it was designed specifically as a small offshore cruising boat).
Absolutely - the Van 27 is just a lot more boat. I don't think there's any question that it's the better choice in this instance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-11-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help. The Vega and the Van both meet my requirements there is no doubt about that. I'm definitely leaning towards the Van I really prefer the transom mounted rudder and the overall look of the boat. The problem I'm having right now is that in the interest of covering all my bases and checking out every boat in the area that appeared to me might requirments I took a look at a Pacific Seacraft 25. Now while it checks a lot of boxes for me personally, full keel, transom mounted rudder, double ended, compression post under the mast, chain plates on everything ( even the stantions for the life lines have chain plates on the under side which the Vega didn't have) when I sat in the cockpit it didn't seem as if it would be as dry as the above mentioned boats. That said when I close my eyes its the one I'm thinking of. I guess I just need to hurry up and make a decision. The broker for the Van called me today saying that others are showing interest in it so my chance at a good deal may be slipping away there if I don't hurry up and decide.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
Thanks for the help. The Vega and the Van both meet my requirements there is no doubt about that. I'm definitely leaning towards the Van I really prefer the transom mounted rudder and the overall look of the boat. The problem I'm having right now is that in the interest of covering all my bases and checking out every boat in the area that appeared to me might requirments I took a look at a Pacific Seacraft 25. Now while it checks a lot of boxes for me personally, full keel, transom mounted rudder, double ended, compression post under the mast, chain plates on everything ( even the stantions for the life lines have chain plates on the under side which the Vega didn't have) when I sat in the cockpit it didn't seem as if it would be as dry as the above mentioned boats. That said when I close my eyes its the one I'm thinking of. I guess I just need to hurry up and make a decision. The broker for the Van called me today saying that others are showing interest in it so my chance at a good deal may be slipping away there if I don't hurry up and decide.

The PS25 is a sweetheart - a real little ship that just reeks of quality but for long term cruising it would come up a bit short - pun intended - no standing headroom. It's also nearly 1/2 the size of the Van 27, about the same disp. as the Vega.
copacabana likes this.

Old 10-12-2012

+1!! Try to imagine spending weeks on end in the cabin of the PS 25. Imagine the back aches! Imagine the lumps on the head!
Old 10-12-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Can't speak to the Van 27 as I have never seen one, but I owned a Vega for 10 years. Fantastic boat, often wish I still had it. The Vega is truly well designed and quality built. Some aspects are a bit unusal by today's design briefs but it is a package that works when you are actually out there, doing it (think old Volvo joke ad: boxy but good!). There were probably more Vegas built than any other boat that size (3000+). Numerous ocean crossings and circumnaigations too. Great owner associations in US & GB with lots of advice and support. Sweet sailing boat. You won't regret owning one.
Old 10-12-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Vancouver 27's are as slow as a bureaucrat's brain.
Old 10-12-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Vancouver 27's are as slow as a bureaucrat's brain.
That is definitely something worth considering which I haven't been until now. With almost 5000 pounds more of displacement and a couple feet less on the water line it's going to take a bit more wind to get a Van 27 going, I assume.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/92646-vancouver-27-vs-albin-vega-27-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27 - sailing answers This thread Refback 10-14-2013 11:56 PM