Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

No question that with a designed SA/D of 14 it's going to want some wind to move. I sure wouldn't want to own one for local cruising but if one is looking for a minimal offshore cruiser, it is in pretty limited company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Agri, you would do well to get the book I mentioned above as it really gives a great account of what a Vancouver 27 can do. Link below:

Winter in Fireland: A Patagonian Sailing Adventure: Amazon.ca: Nicholas Coghlan: Books Winter in Fireland: A Patagonian Sailing Adventure: Amazon.ca: Nicholas Coghlan: Books

The British couple average 100 nautical miles or better a day on all their passages, which is reasonable for a 27 footer. Their route went from South Africa to Brazil, down the Atlantic coast to Patagonia and then into the Chilean canals (I haven't finished the book yet, so I don't know where they go next!). Demanding, difficult conditions the whole way and the boat performed flawlessly. This is an area very seldom sailed in 27-foot boats... It might not be the ideal choice for local sailing in light winds, but I think for longer trips it's pretty much ideal. The lower SA/D isn't necessarily a big problem. The Van 27 is a cutter so it is well suited to going downwind with both headsails poled out. You can also use a code zero or asymmetrical to get more sail area in light conditions. The cutter rig makes it much easier to balance the boat, especially when you start to reduce sail. Most of their sailing in the south Atlantic was under just a (partially furled) staysail and perhaps a triple-reefed main. This kept the boat balanced and comfortable in bad conditions. Again, the kind of sailing you plan on doing will determine whether the Vancouver or the Vega is better for you. Both are terrific boats. Have you had the chance to take a trial sail on both yet? I think a few hours on each boat will help you to make the decision. One will just feel "right".
Old 10-23-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
I'm going to look at another Van 27 today, however I believe this one is sloop rigged. From what I know of the Van 27 design it wouldn't be that hard to change it into a cutter. It's a lot newer then the other one I've looked at but I like the extra sail area of a cutter. Is there any advantage to having a cutter over a sloop on this size of boat? I'm thinking that the extra sail area would help offset the heavy displacement in light winds.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
I'm going to look at another Van 27 today, however I believe this one is sloop rigged. From what I know of the Van 27 design it wouldn't be that hard to change it into a cutter. It's a lot newer then the other one I've looked at but I like the extra sail area of a cutter. Is there any advantage to having a cutter over a sloop on this size of boat? I'm thinking that the extra sail area would help offset the heavy displacement in light winds.

Less efficient but it gives you some flexibility re: shortening down without going on the foredeck - at least if you have downhauls on the foresails.

A big genoa is better for sailing efficiency than jib & staysail of equivalent area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-23-2012

Agri, you'll find that there are fans of both cutters and sloops. A sloop has some advantages to windward. A cutter is more flexible, as John mentions, and you'll find it easy to balance the boat in all conditions, especially in heavy weather. I have a cutter and I can only see advantages to this rig, but that's just my opinion. You can always add a removable stay to a sloop to raise a storm staysail in heavy weather. This gives you a good storm sail plan with the advantages of a sloop for normal sailing. Let us know how the hunt for the boat goes and try to send some pics! Good luck!
Old 10-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Someone I know has a Vancouver 32.

If the 27 is built anything like that 32, there is no comparison. Vancouver's are built like a brick s#$@ house.
Old 10-27-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just looking to hear how other people feel these boats stack up against each other? I lean towards the Vancouver but like the prices of the Vega. The ones I've looked at so far all seam sea worthy however both the Vancouvers need major interior refits compared to decent interiors in the Vegas I've been to see. I prefer the Vancouvers mainly for the transom hung rudder, and I'm not a huge fan of that massive window on the Vega but I'm willing to over look that because of their reputation.

Basically I want to know of one is an inherintely and substantionally better boat or does it come down to personal preference. They both seem pretty similar overall.

Sidenote: the Vancouvers are both of the single headsail variety no cutter rigs.
Hi...I have looked at the Vega 27 as our first boat and after watching Chuck and Laura Rose's sailing series "Cruising Lealea" on You Tube it seems an amazing boat.
I'm going to search our area for the Vancouver...in the mean time we have a Halman 27 to see today.
Not to side track, but has anyone have any good info. or reviews on the Halman.
Good luck with your search!

Cheers,

Ron
Old 10-29-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
For all those that are curious, I went with a Vancouver 27. When all is said and done it seemed like the best choice. The inside is nearly completely bare. There are a couple of benches, a head, some slats on the V-berth futon style to put a matteress on. A sink, chart table and, massive stainless steel compression post (This was the feature that sealed the deal over the Vega, all the Vegas I looked at had noticeable sagging under the mast inside the cabin). Other then that everything inside is bare fiberglass. Outside it has the same rigging as a Nor'sea 27 so the mast is a little taller then on a regular Van 27 and it also means the standing rigging is bulkier 5/16 instead of 3/16. This one is sloop rigged and apparantly the last one put out by Seair, hull built 83, but not commissioned until '98.

Right now she is on the hard and the mast is down so the pictures aren't the greatest but I'll post them when I get the chance.

One other thing the current owner never named her so I get that privilege.

Old 10-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
For all those that are curious, I went with a Vancouver 27. When all is said and done it seemed like the best choice. The inside is nearly completely bare. There are a couple of benches, a head, some slats on the V-berth futon style to put a matteress on. A sink, chart table and, massive stainless steel compression post (This was the feature that sealed the deal over the Vega, all the Vegas I looked at had noticeable sagging under the mast inside the cabin). Other then that everything inside is bare fiberglass. Outside it has the same rigging as a Nor'sea 27 so the mast is a little taller then on a regular Van 27 and it also means the standing rigging is bulkier 5/16 instead of 3/16. This one is sloop rigged and apparantly the last one put out by Seair, hull built 83, but not commissioned until '98.

Right now she is on the hard and the mast is down so the pictures aren't the greatest but I'll post them when I get the chance.

One other thing the current owner never named her so I get that privilege.

Congrats. Now you get to make it the way you want it. By the way, that rigging should be able to withstand getting rolled or pitchpoled - the rigging was only 9/32 on my Columbia 43.

Old 10-30-2012

Congratulations on your your boat Agri! You've bought a real gem of a small cruiser. Post some pics when you can. Did you end up buying the one with the newer engine? I must say, however, that I don't envy you the work ahead of fitting out the interior! Nothing is ever straight or at right angles in a boat and it'll drive you crazy! May I suggest cardboard mock-ups before you actually start cutting wood. Good luck with the boat and keep us posted of your progress!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/92646-vancouver-27-vs-albin-vega-27-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27 - sailing answers This thread Refback 10-14-2013 11:56 PM