Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road
Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

Just looking to hear how other people feel these boats stack up against each other? I lean towards the Vancouver but like the prices of the Vega. The ones I've looked at so far all seam sea worthy however both the Vancouvers need major interior refits compared to decent interiors in the Vegas I've been to see. I prefer the Vancouvers mainly for the transom hung rudder, and I'm not a huge fan of that massive window on the Vega but I'm willing to over look that because of their reputation.

Basically I want to know of one is an inherintely and substantionally better boat or does it come down to personal preference. They both seem pretty similar overall.

Sidenote: the Vancouvers are both of the single headsail variety no cutter rigs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012
S/V Dreamer - Marieholm26

regatta is on a distinguished road
Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

Vancouver off course! Albin seems good boat but Vancouver for me is
better!!! My next boat Will be' a vancouver

Last edited by regatta; 10-02-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

They are pretty different boats. Look at the displacement of each for a start. Both have a good reputation and have done a lot of open ocean miles. What kind of sailing are you going to do with the boat? For local/coastal sailing perhaps the Vega would be better. I'd favour the Vancouver for crossing oceans and I think the layout of the Vancouver 27 is very good for an offshore boat. By coincidence, I'm reading a book by an English couple who sailed extensively in Patagonia and the Chilean canals in a Vancouver 27. They did a prior circumnavigation on a Vega 27. The book is called "Winter in Fire Land" if you're interested in a first-hand account of challenging sailing aboard a Vancouver 27.
Old 10-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The Van 27 is a lot more boat. It was designed specifically as a minimum offshore cruiser for 1 or 2 people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-04-2012

@copocabana

Thanks for the book recommendation. Do they compare the two boats in it? It would be nice to read a first hand account comparing the two.

Met a guy today who worked in the construction of the original Van 27s and was able to point out some of their features. I guess they had a slight design change in 77, added a bit of beam at the water line to stiffen her up. He's made one for himself, out of wood and cold molded with fiberglass. Looks really nice inside even unfinished. He even had a set of drawings for the windvane among other things. My heart says Vancouver, but my wallet says I'll have more left in the kitty with an Albin. Maybe I should just go with an Alberg 30.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-05-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

An Albin Vega can be drasticaly improved as an offshore boat, by putting an outboard rudder on her, on a well built skeg. It can drastically simplify self steering, inside and autopilot steering, via a trimtab on the trailing edge of the rudder..
Old 10-07-2012

Agri, the author doesn't really compare the boats, but you will get a feeling for the ability of the Vancouver 27 when he describes the tough conditions down to Patagonia. I know many will argue the Vega is a great boat (no doubt it is), but if you can afford the Vancouver, I'd go for it. You haven't mentioned what you want to do with the boat though. The Vancouver 27 would make an excellent pocket cruiser to go just about anywhere in comfort. For weekend coastal sailing I think the Vega might be better. What is the condition of each boat?
Old 10-10-2012

I'm actually trying to decide between two Vegas a Vancouver and a Pacific Seacraft 25. The higher priced of the two Vegas has been recently repowered as has the Vancouver. That said the owners of the higher priced Vega as well as the Vancouver didn't seem that big on maintenance. The survey from last year said that the alternator belt needed to be tightened which has clearly not been done, the water in the bilge is oily as well. On the Vancouver all the standing rigging is loose not just a little bit but considerably. Seeing that makes me wonder why the boat was repowered and what other things might be neglected.

On the other hand the lower priced Vega is in excellent condition for her age, at least to my eye. The owner seemed to be a very meticulous person. The kind of guy that needs to have everything working just right. The minus side was that it still had the original engine in it. That said I could see nothing wrong with it. It fired up and ran fine. Apparantly he has a spare one he uses for parts as well as a reliable supplier in Europe. If it wasn't for the engine being original I probably would have bought the boat on the spot. It wasn't just the engine that was original, it still had all the original teak cleats as well.

As far as sailing intentions go I have big dreams but for the near future mainly coastal sailing.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-11-2012

Agri, I'm going to go out on a limb with some advice here ... I haven't seen the boats you're looking at, but I'd approach it like this: both the Vega and Vancouver are small boats and should have low refit and maintenance costs. The big costs are likely going to be (a) engine replacement, (b) complete re-rigging and (c) a new suit of sails. If the Vancouver has a new engine then I'd look carefully at the rig and sails. If they're in good shape, I'd go for the Vancouver providing the hull and decks are solid. Most of the systems in a boat that size are going to be both simple and inexpensive to fix and replace. You'll likely have foot pumps for water, no fridge (just an icebox), no fancy systems. A simple boat is easy to maintain and you'll find that you can do the work yourself without it becoming onerous. You're getting a lot of boat with the Vancouver, especially if your plans include sailing off into the sunset.
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Agri, I'm going to go out on a limb with some advice here ... I haven't seen the boats you're looking at, but I'd approach it like this: both the Vega and Vancouver are small boats and should have low refit and maintenance costs. The big costs are likely going to be (a) engine replacement, (b) complete re-rigging and (c) a new suit of sails.
Keep in mind the Van 27 is a BIG 27' - about 10K Lbs, so it's likely to cost more like a typical 32' - 34' as far as gear goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/92646-vancouver-27-vs-albin-vega-27-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27 - sailing answers This thread Refback 10-14-2013 11:56 PM