Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: 45' + blue water cruiser

With the amount of money you seem willing to spend on a 445 and if fit and finish are high on your priority list, I would think you should be taking a close look at the Tartans. You may have to shorten the LOA a bit to fit your budget, Than again I don't know your budget, but a T4000 is a beautiful boat and would be a real head turner.
I know, it is sacrilegious to even mention the word Tartan around here, but they seem to have put all the nastiness of the past behind them.
Talk with some recent owners and see what they have to say. I see plenty of new Tartans on our docks because the local dealer is located on our premises. Every time a new owner takes delivery of one, they always seem to end up as dock neighbors.
Tartan Yachts Product Catalog - Model Overview

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2013

ryusui is on a distinguished road
Faster I agree I don't care much for the layout of the beneteau 41 or 45. Ive looked at them both. Im not concerned about money really, but I figure im going from a sc21 raceboat to a 44 ft cruising boat is a big step the systems are very different, and not wanting to drop a lot of money right away. Ive also sailed larger boats bur that was day sailing much different than what im planning. I will give the tartans a look. Im open to anyboat but so far the c445 seems to best fit my general uses and could probley race her also.
Old 01-08-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice problem to have!!

FWIW at last year's boat show we much preferred the C445 over the Bene.... but we weren't looking at the 55... big difference in that 10 feet!!
Sad to say especially as a Bendy owner, but I could not recommend anything they have built since around 2008; anything after the three numbered Oceanis Models; 473, 393, etc. They MIGHT be coming back around to some better looking lines, but now they have started with the Fiber Glass Arch. It does not look "Too" bad on the larger models, but I hate the look on the Mid-Forty Footers. It reminds me of those spoilers you see on Power Boats.

The First Series is an entirely different animal.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-08-2013

ryusui is on a distinguished road
That's the reason I really liked the oceanis 54 but they don't make them anymore. I really like the set up of twin nav stations ( one at each helm) but I don't like the arch or the iron keel. Also im a little concerned about the quality of it compared to the catalina 445. The extra 11 feet would be great and the layout underneath is amazing but it all boils down to quality. I know Catalina is good I have a lot of friends who race them and you can find them everywhere and most people have nothing bad to say about them but I hear a lot of negative about beneteau. So it makes me a little uneasy. However as you suggested the first series is nice and I like the layout of the first 50. I am planning on attending the Miami boat show next month and kemah boat show so I hope to put evrrything at rest after I get on all the boats and do more research. As always I appreciate any ideas and or thoughts.

Last edited by ryusui; 01-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2013

T.Treffery is on a distinguished road

Just a question to everyone reading this thread, why have Valiant, Pacific Seacraft yachts been excluded. After 1985 the blister issue with the valiants was sorted and they where made right up to 2011. They are a blue water boat and setup perfectly for singlehanded sailing and have 2 to 3 people on board. Also I like the look of Pacific Seacraft yachts, I am planning on getting a Valiant 42 or a Pacific Seacraft 40 to 44. I am looking at doing the same sort of sailing as you mentioned. And with the dingy issue porta boat are a option. Very light and folds away to nothing. But when will a boat manufacture incorporate a jetski into the boat, or allow one to be loaded on deck. (weight could be a bit high)
Cheers Bubbles
night0wl likes this.
Old 11-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Note the vote for Valiant and PSC so gonna put in a strong vote for an Outbound 46 or if you are flush a 52. They made 53 of the 46 hulls so far and all are still floating(grin). All are being used or have been used as blue water passage makers. For present we are using ours as a part time live aboard but hopefully soon will spit up the anchor. Given the quality the price is quite moderate and the after delivery service excellent. Beyond the basics you can customized it any where you wish.
Faster likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.