Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012

ryusui is on a distinguished road
45' + blue water cruiser

I have been in the market looking for a boat to travel around the world on. I found an older boat i had liked but something in my gut says stay away so im going to. I recently looked into new boats and im considering either a catalina 445 or the 470. I will be living aboard with my girl friend soon to be fiance and my best friend will be traveling with us. Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on any other boats to consider; or are these two the best. All the research i have done says both are great boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: 45' + blue water cruiser

I too am looking at a Catalina 445. I plan on going to factory later in the month. I have talked to Mr Douglas to make some modifications to make it more blue water friendly and he agreed to them all except we are working on a solution for another fuel tank around 40 gallons. Some of the modifications are move the compass to the helm stations, a door for the aft walk through to the swim platform, change the mast out from furling to traditional mast, move chartplotter to top of cockpit table, B&G electronics vs Raymarine, Refrigeration from air cool to keel cool, foot pump at galley sink, starboard settee to full bench vs twin seats, inside cabin top handrails and higher fiddles in all the cabinetry. Also change out the OEM sails to Mack sails.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-14-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

If you can find a Morgan 462 that has had a good refit it will be a tougher boat than those you have looked at IMHO.

Something like this CLICKY
Old 10-14-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryusui View Post
I have been in the market looking for a boat to travel around the world on. I found an older boat i had liked but something in my gut says stay away so im going to. I recently looked into new boats and im considering either a catalina 445 or the 470. I will be living aboard with my girl friend soon to be fiance and my best friend will be traveling with us. Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on any other boats to consider; or are these two the best. All the research i have done says both are great boats.
Well I have a suggestion for you:

All 45 new cruisers on the market have potential for what you want but none of them, except partially in very expensive boats, come prepared for that and it seems that you don't have the knowledge or the experience to real know what is missing.

Melrna is commanding from Catalina one of the boats you have mentioned, one adapted for what you want. she is an experienced sailor and knows what would be necessary to add to a boat to make it fit for living aboard and do extended cruising with ocean passages in mind. All that she said makes sense and I can add some more things (that probably she had commanded anyway) like a bigger alternator, bigger capacity AGM batteries, removable stay for storm sail, a top performance anchor, an autoprop propeller.

As a basis why do you not start by commanding to Catalina a 445 with the specifications Melrna has ordered and start from there?

However you have to consider that the main reason why standard boats come not equipped like that is because it would be expensive. So be prepared to pay a lot more than what would cost a standard equipped 445.

Regards

Paulo
Barneyfi likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

THere is a Jeanneau SO49iP in the NW US ready to travel the world right now, in fact, has been from the NW to Oz and back. if you want used, this might be an option too.

Reality is, as noted, MANY of the lower priced boats you are looking at, including Catalina, may not be totally setup from the get go for offshore work. As most will be coastal cruisers.

Some of the things Melrna has asked for are good starts. May of these can be added later, but if you can get them done from the get go, you will be better off. probably cheaper than done later.

Marty
Old 10-14-2012

Thanks you all for your input. I have experence sailing but not much blue water experince( well not any in the last 10 yrs). I have been considering modifications thats also why im looking at the 470. Which has alot of the things yall suggested to modify. I also love on the 470 that the wheel stations are completely independent of each other and they are not like that on the 445. i have looked at a few jennauas and also looked at a defour 525 as well. I have also looked into the endevour 52 but hvent found as much info as i would like, but i have heard from a few ppl that its a good boat and would suit my needs well. So far the catalina 470 is my main choice but just trying to make sure i dont leave anything out. Since this is going to be my home an transport for the next 5 or 6 yrs i want something that will be durable to handle any conditions i run into, wont have stuff breaking all the time( i know things will break it happens at sea). Also i want it to be fairly comfortable to live on. So please if you have information or more input please feel free to give more.
Also update im going to see the broker tomorrow and will discuss some of those options and updates yall listed above. Does anyone have experience on either boat in blue water?

Last edited by ryusui; 10-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Which Broker are you going to see?
axel likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-15-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
THere is a Jeanneau SO49iP in the NW US ready to travel the world right now, in fact, has been from the NW to Oz and back. if you want used, this might be an option too.

Reality is, as noted, MANY of the lower priced boats you are looking at, including Catalina, may not be totally setup from the get go for offshore work. As most will be coastal cruisers.

Some of the things Melrna has asked for are good starts. May of these can be added later, but if you can get them done from the get go, you will be better off. probably cheaper than done later.

Marty
I knew you would come up with a Jeanneau, but that was my first thought also. Seem a bit more sturdy than standard production boats, and lots out there cruising the world. Benitieau First in that size range would be pretty blue capable, and really fast.

Otherwise I think I might go for a recently refit older more "high end" boat in the same size range.

Now living with girlfriend and best friend, I don't know about that. Perhaps I have just seen too many movies!
Old 10-15-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Paul,

YEAHHHHH I do the opposite of CD when it comes to Jeanneau vs catalina. BUT, being as jeanneau builds the MOST quantity of sailboats per year than any other builder, with beneteau being a small bit behind..........It's frankly no wonder you see a lot of them sailing the world vs other brands. They do sell and market to a degree, the ability out of the box to do so.

I will say one thing about catalina as merlna and CD attest to. Is Catalina will semi sorta do a semi custom for people. Not sure you will get that from the GBeneteau boats. There is with in that group a custom boat building branch in France, where they make true custom boats, including all the catamarans for waterworld, along with a minitransat boat for a jeanneau employee who did one of the races across the atlantic last summer.

At the end of the day, ANY brands 40+' boat, really should be able to cross and ocean if properly prepared, people more or less know what they are doing etc. There are some already ready to go, like the one I alluded to earlier. Mid 300K IIRC. IT would cost you more than that to setup a new 49iP! or even some of the mid 40' boats.

It all comes down to ambiance frankly between these higher volume production boats, you either like the brand, or you do not.......leave it that!

Marty
Old 10-16-2012

Well im using little boat sales out of kemah,tx. I really like the 445 and thats what im going to get i think. The broker and I went over what im doing and wanting and gave some more great ideas and is gonna c what catalina can do. The broker is also a captain and has done some of what im wanting to do already. So i gave your ideas and some of my own. I didnt see the need fr more rails down below though.
Ok so a new developement i was just refered to the beneteau oceanis 54. Any thoughts about this boat. I like the look and its 3 ft wider than the 445 and ive seen alot of that series at the marinas around kemah and seabrook. Since a 55 ft is my ideal boat as far as size goes. Any information or thought about the boats which is going to serve my purpose best

Last edited by ryusui; 10-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.