Islander 28 vs Islander Bahama 30 vs Irwin Cititation 34 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Islander 28 vs Islander Bahama 30 vs Irwin Cititation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sail em all....
Great idea in concept... In practice easier said than done. It's tough to get a sea trial without some 'serious money' down first. That's tough to do with multiple boats.

But if you can manage it that would be the best way..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I sail an Islander-28. Sweet! Comfortable in a blow. The best balanced boat I have sailed. It was the perfect boat to introduce my wife to sailing. She never had reason to hesitate. Fun. Hull speed is easy. Jibes are almost automatic.

It is small. We have adjusted. It was my intention to sail it for a couple of years and move up but that was years ago. I have "secretly" wished it was an I-36 more than once.

I installed a cockpit drain that is connected to a seacock in the engine space with a hose connector on it. We do collect water. A couple of "Sun Shower" bags get moved around as necessary and add water storage in available space below deck. We sacrificed the 1/4 birth and have modified that space to provide needed storage. Technology has replaced books with a couple of readers and that was huge. You can add propane to the stern rail. Solar panels help. We added a couple of horizontal surfaces. One under the 1/4 birth that carries a 3rd battery. 2 are "in" a "shelf" in the lazarette. Another horizontal surface in there helps with storage, too. The head is cramped. I installed a Lavac and that saved a little leg room. It is a challenge. It was a lot of work but a labor of "love".

It is a well built boat built of quality materials. We still discuss a bigger boat but the Admiral insists we keep "Tundra Down", the I-28, if we do get something larger. She learned to sail on it and loves it.

Remember it is money "parked", not spent.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-26-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The Islanders are probably better built boats but the Citation is 50% bigger than the Islanders - size matters when you are cruising.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-26-2013

twelch is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. All good information.
Old 03-27-2013
Tundra Down

Please, let us know which one you picked.

Down
Old 03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Please, let us know which one you picked.

Down
I will.
Old 03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I sail an Islander-28. Sweet! Comfortable in a blow. The best balanced boat I have sailed. It was the perfect boat to introduce my wife to sailing. She never had reason to hesitate. Fun. Hull speed is easy. Jibes are almost automatic.

It is small. We have adjusted. It was my intention to sail it for a couple of years and move up but that was years ago. I have "secretly" wished it was an I-36 more than once.

I installed a cockpit drain that is connected to a seacock in the engine space with a hose connector on it. We do collect water. A couple of "Sun Shower" bags get moved around as necessary and add water storage in available space below deck. We sacrificed the 1/4 birth and have modified that space to provide needed storage. Technology has replaced books with a couple of readers and that was huge. You can add propane to the stern rail. Solar panels help. We added a couple of horizontal surfaces. One under the 1/4 birth that carries a 3rd battery. 2 are "in" a "shelf" in the lazarette. Another horizontal surface in there helps with storage, too. The head is cramped. I installed a Lavac and that saved a little leg room. It is a challenge. It was a lot of work but a labor of "love".

It is a well built boat built of quality materials. We still discuss a bigger boat but the Admiral insists we keep "Tundra Down", the I-28, if we do get something larger. She learned to sail on it and loves it.

Remember it is money "parked", not spent.

Down
I really like this boat. More room than a Bristol 27. My only concern with it would be getting across the gulf stream if the weather changed and I was in the middle of it. Trying to weigh all the the pertinent information to the boats right now. Just found a 27' Bristol also. Decent condition, but small for 2 people and their gear. Water issue there to. I am going down to Corpus Christi, Tx. on the 8th. I will be down there for a week or 10 days and will look at and sail what boats I can. Another thing about that I28 is it has marine air. Important in the southern waters this time of year.
Old 03-27-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I've been aboard an Islander 28 and an Islander 30, but not the Irwin. I agree with you, the Islander 28's are BEAUTIFUL boats. And as Chef2Sail will tell you, they apparently sail like a dream. They are small, but great, comfortable boats. The I30's are nice too, though I'm not sure that I see a huge difference between the two from a storage/actual usage perspective. Yes, it's nice to have the extra 2 feet, but in some designs it really doesn't add that much, and I think that's the case here.

Can I ask your question from a different perspective? What do you think your primary use will be? Are you actually intending to take the boat out to the exotic places you're headed, or is this just something you'd "like to do"? If it's a "like to do", I'd be inclined to go with the 28. Lower cost of ownership (parts, slip rates, etc.), great, fun boat too. The few times you head out to these exotic locales, you can either stick with her (e.g., pack some extra water), or rent something else (using the money you saved by keeping the smaller boat).

Looking forward to pics and hearing your deliberations!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I've been aboard an Islander 28 and an Islander 30, but not the Irwin. I agree with you, the Islander 28's are BEAUTIFUL boats. And as Chef2Sail will tell you, they apparently sail like a dream. They are small, but great, comfortable boats. The I30's are nice too, though I'm not sure that I see a huge difference between the two from a storage/actual usage perspective. Yes, it's nice to have the extra 2 feet, but in some designs it really doesn't add that much, and I think that's the case here.

Can I ask your question from a different perspective? What do you think your primary use will be? Are you actually intending to take the boat out to the exotic places you're headed, or is this just something you'd "like to do"? If it's a "like to do", I'd be inclined to go with the 28. Lower cost of ownership (parts, slip rates, etc.), great, fun boat too. The few times you head out to these exotic locales, you can either stick with her (e.g., pack some extra water), or rent something else (using the money you saved by keeping the smaller boat).

Looking forward to pics and hearing your deliberations!
This is something I am gonig to do. No question about it. I retired the first of the year and I have been wanting to do this for years now. Well, the time has come and, wife like it or not, is what is going to happen. Wife is a little unsure but she can fly to where ever and join me there.

All of the boats I have mentioned appear to be in great shape. Not budget busters and are small enough to single hand and large enough for two. Weather windows will always be a consideration, but we all know how that works. Not sure how long I will be out, but I do know I am in no hurry to get there, or get back. Advantages of being retired.
Old 03-28-2013
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelch View Post
I really like this boat. More room than a Bristol 27. My only concern with it would be getting across the gulf stream if the weather changed and I was in the middle of it. Trying to weigh all the the pertinent information to the boats right now. Just found a 27' Bristol also. Decent condition, but small for 2 people and their gear. Water issue there to. I am going down to Corpus Christi, Tx. on the 8th. I will be down there for a week or 10 days and will look at and sail what boats I can. Another thing about that I28 is it has marine air. Important in the southern waters this time of year.
We sail our boat in The Gulf of Maine. With the proper sail configuration set it puts its shoulder down and goes. I have no qualms going out in a blow. We look forward to to those days almost as much as 12 knots ssw. A solo sailor sailed one east to west around Cape Horn last year. One of the qualities that made it a perfect boat to introduce my wife to sailing on was its response to sail trim and set. Lots to play with and learn. Fun.

We don't look for trouble but I wouldn't down rate it for its ability to sail. Bob Perry designed a beautiful little boat that sails as well as it looks good.

Take a look at it's hull from the stern. It's constant flare to the rail costs you room inside but makes all the difference as a boat. Have you looked into the stability ratings for all the boats you are considering? There is a gradient from pure performance to comfort aboard. The other, well respected boats of similar size in our harbor, trend toward vertical topsides and comfort. The I-28 looks more like a J-boat from the stern and acts accordingly.

I am an enthusiastic owner but don't intend to sound like a salesman. I stumbled into our boat. It was not a process of careful evaluation that brought it to us. The PO was in difficulty and came to me, at the dock, as I was hauling our other boat one November. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, even if it was to simply put it on a mooring for the winter and sell it. I have "discovered" its qualities as we got to know it. Its a capable boat.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.