Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013

MrGaston is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Dory 25 vs Oday 25 maybe vs Cat 25

That is helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Had a CD as one of my first boats. Before Robinhood took all the CD tooling up to Maine they were made in the town next door. Things that favor CD and all Carl Alberg designs are they are strong designs that were built with strength in mind by CD. Never did blue water with that boat but she saw many squalls and t storms. As said there are faster boats and boats that point better but think given construction methods CDs are most likey to be in structurally good shape for the choices you have proposed. Also given old time construction ( no liners etc.) all of the boat is accessable so upgrades/repairs and getting a good survey are easier. Believe Robinhood Marine still has the bits and pieces for that boat if you need them.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
MrGaston (05-29-2013)
Old 05-17-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I look at it this way: Cape Dorys always seem to command a price premium over similar boats. It might be because of the name, but I am also sure it is due to how ruggad they are.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_machine For This Useful Post:
MrGaston (05-29-2013)
Old 06-05-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

It is important to differentiate between the Cape Dory 25 and 25D. This comes up a lot, but they are two completely different boats.

The 25 was originally produced by Allied as the Greenwich 24, designed by George Stadel. It is lighter, has an outboard well, and less interior space/headroom. The 25 was produced for about 10 years by Cape Dory.

The 25D is an Alberg design with an inboard diesel and substantially more head room. The production run was smaller and these boats are harder to find, in addition to being more expensive. The 25D has made fairly substantial passages and John Vigor discusses it in one of his books.

My general recommendation for people desiring a 25D is to look at other CD models, unless they are absolutely set on the 25D. They are one of the best CD designs and it has the most functional interior of the smaller Cape Dory boats, but they are harder to find and generally much more expensive. You could likely find a 27 or 28 that is heavier and has a little more room for less money. The combined production run of the other boats will likely make it easier to find a boat as well.

Also worth noting is that newer CD models (1980+) tend to demand a higher premium than 70's models. While the build quality of structural components (hull, decks, etc) remained consistent until shortly before their downfall, the interior trimmings on some models were not as good in earlier boats. The general layout will be the same, but later model boats may have a few extra racks, shelves, and better quality wood throughout. If that doesn't matter to you, finding a model from the late 70's will save you some $$ for other improvements.

As for the 25, there were a lot built and you should be able to find one easily, if that's what you want. Do not confuse the two boats, though. The 25 is well made (I'd shoot for later years, though) and owners seem to like them, so this isn't a knock against them either. They just don't have the same qualities that a number of the other Cape Dory boats do.

As for not pointing well, I don't have that problem (CD27). Sure other boats point closer, but we're talking a small margin. I'd take the quality and construction of the CD over being able to point a little closer any day. They also have positive qualities that a higher pointing boat may not have. Like anything, it's a trade off.

There are some gotchas with all the Cape Dory models, like with any boat. Most problems or issues are not uncommon to fiberglass boats in general. The most common and talked about problem are the chainplate backings. Earlier model boats used mild steel backing plates for the chainplates, which isn't a problem unless a leak occurs in the thru bolts. I've seen some that have no rust at all and others that flake apart, ours are somewhere in between. They also aren't easy to inspect (I use a $25 borescope to inspect them) or replace. Some owners have replaced them with stainless, some have gone external, and others don't have any problems. The later model boats used aluminum which AFAIK has held up better.
Old 01-25-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

You mention "dragging" the boat, then you might want to consider that a CD is going to take a significantly bigger rig to trailer it, if that is what you meant. Of course you are in Texas, and I guess every one there has a big Pick Up truck! What do I know I live in the North East and drive a car that has no towing capacity.

Certainly the Cape Dory will be the best looking, have the best off shore capability and likely resale value. But the other boats would sail circles around it. I would not be put off by the swing keel at all. Maintain it well and don't give it a second thought. Oh and the Cape Dory will have a lot more varnish work too! For offshore I would want the Cape Dory 25D for sure, but it sounds like that would be farther off for your plans so I think go with the others, save some money and go sailing. If you feel you need something more substantial then sell and go up. While the Catalina may not be the highest price, it is likely the easiest by far to sell. Every one knows them, and the sell quickly if priced right.

Tags
cape dory 25 , catalina 25 , oday 25