Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

MrGaston is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 25 vs Oday 25 maybe vs Cat 25

I want to buy a boat to drag from Abilene, Tx to the gulf coast to single hand for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, once or twice a year. The cape Dory is beautiful and that makes me want one. If sailing performance is the same I will buy a Cape Dory. The Oday would be the keel/centerboard model and the Catalina would be the swing keel model because of the shallow draft.

The main thing I'm worried about with any of these is the up wind performance. I've owned 2 sailboats. One (Venture swing keel) had amazing up wind performance the other (Starwind) was very bad. A boat that won't sail is not worth having. I would also like to hear about any other issues you think I should know about.

I understand the reliability issue with taking a swing keel boat (Catalina 25) where my life could depend on it. But if it will sail and the others won't then I might do it anyway.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to trailer a fin keel for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Dory 25 vs Oday 25 maybe vs Cat 25

I can't compare the boats; I previously owned a C25. I also sailed in VERY shallow water, so the keel was up most of the time, and I have no idea how well she would sail to windward with the keel down. I'm also one of those who warns about the perils of the C25's swing keel arrangement. However, even I am practical enough to know that, with proper maintenance and care, the swing keel is fine. You just have to commit to being diligent about your maintenance and inspection routine, and be ready to replace anything if it looks flaky. Mine was a 1984 that was kept in salt water, and I highly doubt the winch, cable, etc. was ever replaced. Before we splashed the boat at the beginning of last season, I had the entire assembly inspected by a rigger, who said it still looked good.

I think any of the boats on your list will be fun. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. No matter what you choose, good luck with it!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Any boat, not properly maintained, is a deathtrap. And every boat has something different that needs more maintance and care than another boat. I would not let the swing keel scare you as long as you inspect and replace anything that looks suspecious at least once a year

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Cape Dory 25 vs Oday 25 maybe vs Cat 25

The C25 swing keel won't be a problem. Its a very nice boat. The CD25 will not be a great upwind (or any other direction) performer due to the full keel and weight. The CD will also be on the tender side too for her size due to the narrow beam.
Old 05-16-2013

ashmun is on a distinguished road

Cape Dory - hands down. Solid and Safe.

Julia
Old 05-17-2013

So, nobody has an opinion about the Oday 25 CB? How about a Coronado 25 or Pearson 26. I know these are fin keel boats but maybe...
Old 05-17-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

If I'm not in a hurry, I would pick the boat that is safest in bad weather. Cape dory 25 followed by Coronado 25 would be my choices. CD is not fast but a very safe boat in bad weather. It also has a very shallow draft and low maintenance configuration. I would just make a plug for the outboard well opening, which lowers the drag after you pull out the outboard when sailing offshore.
Old 05-17-2013

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

If your primary concern is ability to sail to windward, then I would say the Catalina 25 would be the first choice. I owned a fin keel C25 and raced it for many years, and the swing keel C25 is reportedly faster than the fin by a miniscule amount. I have no experience with an Oday 25 CB, but raced against a fin keel Oday 25, and it pointed and footed nicely, so I would guess the Oday would rank at least a close 2nd in pointing. The CD would rank 3rd in pointing.

But, you should choose the boat that makes all the best compromises for your particular use. If you are planning to do mostly fair weather coastal cruising, the C25 will work well. None of those boats should be in sustained heavy weather, but the CD would be the better choice if prolonged heavy weather is likely.

And, my first concern in buying a boat is to find one that is fundamentally sound and in good repair. You know, better than us, how you intend to use it, so you have to make the compromises that will fit into your plans for the boat.
Old 05-17-2013

I didn't mean to sound like up wind performance is the only thing I care about but it is the main thing that I'm worried the Oday and CD won't do. I will be doing singlehand coastal cruising mostly in the gulf but eventually may want to cross the gulf stream to the Bahamas. I will be doing this for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and expect that I would find myself 50 - 100 miles offshore once in a while and may be in the occasional thunder storm. I expect that I will always be safe in Abilene for any extended bad weather.

Before posting, I assumed the sailing performance of the C25 would be good. This may be unreasonable but I have a fear of the swing keel falling off or beating a hole in the hull in a storm. If not for that, I would just buy a C25.

The Oday's keel/cb configuration relieves my fears of loosing my ballast and seems like it could be a good sailing boat with the CB down, but I don't know. If the sailing performance of the keel/cb Oday is close to that of swing keel C25, I will buy an Oday 25.

I think my research has eliminated the CD. I know that I can't tolerate a boat that won't sail.
Old 05-17-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGaston View Post
I think my research has eliminated the CD. I know that I can't tolerate a boat that won't sail.
Compare the boats you are considering:
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...er+19+2011.pdf
These essentially include all points of sail.

Tags
cape dory 25 , catalina 25 , oday 25