Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014

billsull is on a distinguished road
Re: B24 (sailstar model) fix her up or else, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyredcars View Post
Questions for you all:

Has anyone here had to re-bed/reinforce their mast step from below deck and what are your suggestions?
Greetings from a fellow B24 owner - mine is a work [not] in progress at the moment, but I hope get back to working on her soon to get her back to her former glory.

Anyway, I've done a lot of the same projects over the years on my B24 that you are tackling. With respect to the beam that supports the mast step, I was going to go at it from inside, but I was talked into opening it up from above. That meant removing the mast step and cutting through the built up area under the step, but I think it was the right way to go.

There was a soaking wet (and cracked) beam under the deck. I removed that and replaced with a laminated beam that I made to match the curvature of the deck. After that was glassed in, I had to re-build the mast step area and I ended up having a new aluminum mast step made.

I look forward to following your progress (and maybe getting some inspiration at the same time!)
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014

prettyredcars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
epoxy injection is purely a kludge. It works for a while, but is brittle and if it does flex will crack. Stryofoam will not work as it has little strength. If you want it to last you have to replace it, and epoxy injection will make the eventual replacement hard, if not impossible. There are some alternative cores you can use. Our member Caleb has a nice write up of what he did on his Tartan 27:

I am sure if it were stiffened up too much then you might cause stress cracks, and or ridges in the hull. If you just strengthen what is there you should be good.
Oh man, thank you so much for sending that link my way. Thats the most helpful core project account I've read yet. The only one I've found with a time phrame besides this said 5 years!! (too be fair the guy had two kids... or three. Ill haft find the good old boat issue to be accurate on that one.)
Anyway, rambling again.
Thank you. 4 days sounds much more feasible and seriously comforting in the grand scene of things. I lost track of how many more posts I have left before I can post pictures, but as for updates my dog had a little incident this week involving an unknown object of mine that I had the joy of seeing in an X-ray at the vet's, which also then involved my entire gas fund for the week and Sparrow's next material and supply list.

I was not amused.

But my pup is now sleeping it off and I have time to do laundry at least (which I am frequently reminded by my friends and family as kinda important when your life involves disgusting amounts of fiberglass dust.) you live and you learn, so i am told. Hopefully next week I will have some more relevant updates.....

Last edited by prettyredcars; 03-15-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

You have 6 posts out of 10 you need to post links and pictures. It is recommended that you use photobucket and use the picture link tool to post pics. Sailnet's pic upload is not reliable.
Old 04-14-2014

Time for an update:

Sheesh four weeks and this update will probably be disjointed at best as I sit here half awake watching my dog slowly collect every toy in the apartment and amass them at my feet.

I guess first off, I ran out of gas money for a couple weeks there, which put me behind schedule once again, but i managed to make good time on my return, completing my first fiberglass job (which was graceless) and finally beginning the damn hull to deck joint.

And yes, if you have hear anything about the hull to deck joint it is as absolutely miserable, in fact it is so miserable that everyone on here that warns you it is miserable is sugar coating the extent of its true misery because nobody would ever read any of our post I believe. I am considering skipping removing all the tiny bits of sheared staples and corroded rivets, scraping the nasty green that looks like it was made of chewed gum from under library decks and entombing the whole damn thing in fiberglass. I know, thats probably a terrible idea. But if any one reading this (or my yard owners who I'll probably ask tomorrow morning) happen to know if doing so will nevertheless leave me structurally reinforced enough to withstand rough seas, its happening, and I'll figure out how to make it look ship shape later.

As for the laz, I am proud to say it now sports four fiberglass encased stringers and they don't look that bad either! So for the first two there may have been some screaming, cursing, throwing things, spilling things, hitting other things, and smoking, melting, OMG I THINK ITS ON FIRE things, but my technique has improved. I will be beginning the same process on my overhead possibly as soon as tomorrow since I removed all the hardware and filled the screw holes with epoxy today. (which is another long winded story that ends in "my technique will improve" and "%&#@!!!! GET THE ACETONE!")

Anyway. Its been a long day. And like everything else since October, I know its just part of time and the process which I am thoroughly enjoying despite all (though Im amused to realize I miss the era of my crowbar. Goof that I am thought rebuilding would be the easy part.) Last but not least, I thought it would be easier to begin replacing deck core by attacking a less rotted area under a cleat on my cabin top. Not sure if I chose to wide an area with intact balsam underneath or WTF but I cannot get the skin panel I cut peeled off for the life of me. I am using a heat gun, two screw drivers as prying tools and a spatula, but clearly I am doing something wrong. Anyone have any advice? I need to get it under control by tuesday morning when I report back to the schooner I work on in the city for spring maintenance. I know once rain gets in the grooves where I cut it Im gonna have a lot bigger problems than a stubborn patch of fiberglass skin......

I made a photo bucket account last week but don't have time to really figure it out tonight. In the meantime though Ive been posting videos of my progress throughout the winter. You can find them on youtube under prettyredcars or Miranda J. Holman. Sadly sailnet will not yet let me post links. Although, I could fix that if I get better about posting more regularly... we'll see.

But for now, it is time for me to take a break from this adventure for six slightly itchy and somewhat aching hours, better know as sleep.
Old 04-14-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I know nothing. I am only an electronic tech. Cut all the deck open on top, clean out everything, cut balsa, pour in polyester, vacume bag. very difficult, but the best solution.
The vacume pump should be the most expensive part.
Old 04-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
I know nothing. I am only an electronic tech. Cut all the deck open on top, clean out everything, cut balsa, pour in polyester, vacume bag. very difficult, but the best solution.
The vacume pump should be the most expensive part.

Going with construction styrofoam instead of polyester resin. Ive hear a lot of arguments on whats the best material but I've never heard styrofoam so I figured its got almost the same qualities as balsam so why not.

This is pretty silly, but: I know its probably the most foolish thing to have a problem with over the whole process, but I actually can't get the skin up after cutting it. So far I just have one square foot Ive sliced and tried everything today to pull it up......

Tags
bristol , fiberglass repair , help needed , restoration