Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

prettyredcars is on a distinguished road
Exclamation B24 (sailstar model) fix her up or else, HELP!

So I inherited my father's B24 when I was too young, dumb and broke to restore her. Now that she's sat in the yard being neglected for 5 years, I've decided to take her on.
However, because I left her abandoned in the yard for 5 years without any word or payment my yard owners are being EXTREMELY nice and letting me fix her up this season, but if I don't, I need to sign her over to be destroyed.
So.... Ive got three main problems on my hands and a loose understanding as to what to do about it and need some direction. If anybody out there has fixed these problems or have some advice, please help me!!!

Heres what I got:

1. Taking on water though top of the ballast. Plan to grind and drain keel from bottom. Re-fiberglass interior floor this weekend and add extra pin. No idea where to get said pin. Terrified to drill the hole into my ballast for the pin. No idea how necessary this is.

2. Chain plates. Rebuilding main bulkheads. Setting chain plates in epoxy "boots" as suggested by good old boat. Actually pretty set on this one.... I think.

3. Hull to deck joint and rotting core. The last time Sparrow went out she broke her lines at the dock during a nor'easter and almost lost her. She took a lot of damage from being slammed on top of the dock repeatedly. Because of the awesome steel rib down the bow of Bristols, her hull only took superficial damage. However, the hull to the deck joint was shattered. The top flange breaks away and crumbles like a stale croissant. I'm not sure how to caulk the joint AND build a new flange without doing it in one process, but Im pretty sure applying glass to uncured caulk is a bad idea. There has to be a better solution, right? I want to reinforce the core under my stanchions only while Im at this. If the stanchions at least are reinforced I can repair the rest of the core in the water.

If I can get those three things under control I can be water ready in the very least and motor my shameful stern to a slip where I can tackle my laundry list of restoration projects and not continue to try the patience of kind yard owners with my shenanigans. Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: B24 (sailstar model) fix her up or else, HELP!

You need 10 posts before you can post pictures. Best to use photobucket to upload, then used the mountain icon tool to post. It would be nice to see pictures of these issues. What year boat? Full keel? Centerboard? In the water now? No, then how do you know she is leaking?

Last edited by Delta-T; 01-29-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Being that it belonged to your father it might be worth it. Simply for the sake of memories. On the other hand if they would let you sign it away without paying any back fees you might want to jump on it. I don't want to discourage you but there are quite a few on the market and they are mostly in the $2,000 range and most of those are being actively sailed. So go in with your eyes open, and try not to spend too much, or you could be throwing out more money than you can ever hope to recover. Though you will never make money on a boat it is a shame to see someone put thousands into a boat and they could have gotten one in about the same finished shape for a lot less.

They are a nice looking little boat though.
Old 02-05-2014

skink127 is on a distinguished road

You might want to join this forum...
Sorry, sailnet won't let me post a link so... go to groups.yahoo.com and find your way to the bristolboatowners group
It's the most active Bristol group out there. You'll find lots of B24 owners anxious to help. Some have dealt with the exact issues you describe. I myself have suffered a smashed up hull/deck joint.

Come see us,
Peter
Old 02-05-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skink127 View Post
You might want to join this forum...
Sorry, sailnet won't let me post a link so... go to groups.yahoo.com and find your way to the bristolboatowners group
It's the most active Bristol group out there. You'll find lots of B24 owners anxious to help. Some have dealt with the exact issues you describe. I myself have suffered a smashed up hull/deck joint.

Come see us,
Peter
You need 10 posts to be able to post links and pics.

I got this for you https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...oatowners/info
Old 02-15-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I would say they yard is being very generous. However, after you fix the boat, they may hit you up for back payments. I would at least pay for the time you will be there working on the boat, with an agreement that you will not be responsible for further payments.
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
You need 10 posts before you can post pictures. Best to use photobucket to upload, then used the mountain icon tool to post. It would be nice to see pictures of these issues. What year boat? Full keel? Centerboard? In the water now? No, then how do you know she is leaking?

She is a full keel with a concrete and lead ballast. She's on the hard but my keel is weeping so I know its taking on water from the cabin sole, I've been widening a grinder area regularly to keep her training until I reglass almost everything in the cabin.
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I would say they yard is being very generous. However, after you fix the boat, they may hit you up for back payments. I would at least pay for the time you will be there working on the boat, with an agreement that you will not be responsible for further payments.
They are being very kind. They are the owners of the yard I grew up frequenting and when I am done we will be making a deal. As for everyone else's comments about finances and worth, I realize that i could get multiple other boats for the money I've already spent. Its more about wanting to restore this boat as its been a life long pipe dream. That and I may have already spent my only college savings on power tools and 25 yards of fiberglass cloth so I am somewhat beyond the point of no return at this point.....
jimgo and Delta-T like this.
Old 03-10-2014

Lightbulb Re: B24 (sailstar model) fix her up or else, HELP!

Well, It looks like other people have shamelessly begun their B24 restoration blogs here and I have a feeling everyone here is far more interested than Facebook so I may as well begin right?

February and January: After two cases of bronchitis, one jeep break down by the side of the LIE and the impulsive decision to chop off the rest of my hair with kitchen scissors, I managed to completely gut my forward cabin, relocated all removable wood work, gear and the water tank in to my living room, and opened up the keel so that it has continuously has been draining. If it wasn't for the fact that I spent most of my teenage winters sporadically homeless on the streets of New York City I probably would have unloaded my flare gun into the bilge, dumped all my gear in the sound and moved to Kansas. So thanks to my misspent youth I have cockroach and twinkie like survival abilities and ample long underwear. I also my friends who are endlessly entertained by supporting my adventures and boyfriend who lovingly ensures that I am always well supplied with good whiskey to thank for the past two months. That all said, grinding fiberglass in 10 degree weather was a character building experience that I would enthusiastically volunteer to be keel hauled from the staten island ferry before ever experiencing again.

March: As we fly through the month I am beginning the first steps of rebuilding in leu of much demolishing. This week I prepped the laz to install building styrofoam trapezoidal strips i cut to become fiberglass reinforced ribs over the area where the jack stands slightly warped my hull. on the outside I will be grinding down the area about 1/8 inch and filling the area with a couple layers of fiberglass and epoxy. Its extremely shallow so its more of a cosmetic and precautionary measure than anything, so I'll probably take my time on that one. The ribs however are being installed next week as long as the weather holds over 40degrees. Both bulkheads are also now removed and the overhead is being supported by a jack post. Next week if I have help coming with my (my friends have been signing up to come out now that the weather is turning) I will create epoxy "boots" around the chain plates. I got the idea from good old boat and will post the article when I can post pictures or find it online, which ever comes first. The actual plates are then going to be installed in heavily reinforced flanges until I can afford ply for new bulk heads and decided where they will be installed as I am debating various alliterative interior plans of my own devising. Pictures all to be added soon.

Questions for you all:

What are your preference for replacing balsa core: epoxy injection or fresh balsa? Is it possible to use building styrofoam? I was looking at what I use for stringers and it looks about the right width but I haven't come across any instance of someone using it.

Is it possible to create to much rigidity to the hull with stringers and interior furnishing? And if it is possible, what should I look out for to know Im going a little to far with the installations?

Has anyone here had to re-bed/reinforce their mast step from below deck and what are your suggestions?

Etc, Etc:

I am pursuing a kickstarter campaign but find myself far more interested and distracted by continuing work so it is VERY slow coming. Hopefully that will start to begin to materialize after I move on to rebidding stanchions and cleats, working forward from the starboard corner of the cockpit and eventually around to port where I have the majority of my core, hull to deck and leakage problems.

Fiberglass dust mixed with sweat makes great hair wax.

I have descended to the point of madness where I explain my technical diagrams to my dog on the drives home and began referring to the crowbar as my best friend Daisy. Also, I've decided that Don Casey is God and rules over the deities PercyBlandfordion, PaulCoblessum and JackWileynues in Classicplastopia on Mount Westsystemus. I have tried to tell him this multiple times but sailing magazine keeps screening my comment as inappropriate.

And on that note, good night all.
Delta-T likes this.
Old 03-10-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyredcars View Post
Well, It looks like other people have shamelessly begun their B24 restoration blogs here and I have a feeling everyone here is far more interested than Facebook so I may as well begin right?

February and January: After two cases of bronchitis, one jeep break down by the side of the LIE and the impulsive decision to chop off the rest of my hair with kitchen scissors, I managed to completely gut my forward cabin, relocated all removable wood work, gear and the water tank in to my living room, and opened up the keel so that it has continuously has been draining. If it wasn't for the fact that I spent most of my teenage winters sporadically homeless on the streets of New York City I probably would have unloaded my flare gun into the bilge, dumped all my gear in the sound and moved to Kansas. So thanks to my misspent youth I have cockroach and twinkie like survival abilities and ample long underwear. I also my friends who are endlessly entertained by supporting my adventures and boyfriend who lovingly ensures that I am always well supplied with good whiskey to thank for the past two months. That all said, grinding fiberglass in 10 degree weather was a character building experience that I would enthusiastically volunteer to be keel hauled from the staten island ferry before ever experiencing again.

March: As we fly through the month I am beginning the first steps of rebuilding in leu of much demolishing. This week I prepped the laz to install building styrofoam trapezoidal strips i cut to become fiberglass reinforced ribs over the area where the jack stands slightly warped my hull. on the outside I will be grinding down the area about 1/8 inch and filling the area with a couple layers of fiberglass and epoxy. Its extremely shallow so its more of a cosmetic and precautionary measure than anything, so I'll probably take my time on that one. The ribs however are being installed next week as long as the weather holds over 40degrees. Both bulkheads are also now removed and the overhead is being supported by a jack post. Next week if I have help coming with my (my friends have been signing up to come out now that the weather is turning) I will create epoxy "boots" around the chain plates. I got the idea from good old boat and will post the article when I can post pictures or find it online, which ever comes first. The actual plates are then going to be installed in heavily reinforced flanges until I can afford ply for new bulk heads and decided where they will be installed as I am debating various alliterative interior plans of my own devising. Pictures all to be added soon.

Questions for you all:

What are your preference for replacing balsa core: epoxy injection or fresh balsa? Is it possible to use building styrofoam? I was looking at what I use for stringers and it looks about the right width but I haven't come across any instance of someone using it.

Is it possible to create to much rigidity to the hull with stringers and interior furnishing? And if it is possible, what should I look out for to know Im going a little to far with the installations?

Has anyone here had to re-bed/reinforce their mast step from below deck and what are your suggestions?
epoxy injection is purely a kludge. It works for a while, but is brittle and if it does flex will crack. Stryofoam will not work as it has little strength. If you want it to last you have to replace it, and epoxy injection will make the eventual replacement hard, if not impossible. There are some alternative cores you can use. Our member Caleb has a nice write up of what he did on his Tartan 27:

2013, May 2nd. Re-core work party. | Odalisque

I am sure if it were stiffened up too much then you might cause stress cracks, and or ridges in the hull. If you just strengthen what is there you should be good.

Tags
bristol , fiberglass repair , help needed , restoration