SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bristol 32 head floor

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jb1528 
#1 ·
My 1975 B32 hull 165 has a drain in the floor of the head. Some day I shall need to replace the hose that runs to the pump for that grey water from the shower. Does anyone know if that floor can come out so the hose can be replaced or can the hose be replaced without removing the floor?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Jim

#2 ·
Hi Jim, can you take the strainer off and take a close up picture/ I don't have a shower in my boat so that is not something I have done. On my boat many things were installed and the boat built around it. I do know home shower drains, and they can be removed and replaced from the top, inside the shower with a special tool. Tool is a cheap little piece of metal that comes with the new fitting. Here is a setup you might have. See the caulking nut can be removed, and pipe is held water tight with the gasket. http://www.vizimac.com/shower-drain-installation/feature-template-3/

Good luck,
Eric

#3 ·
Eric, the drain is no more than a hole in the floor about an inch in diameter with a molded tailpiece for the hose to go on to. it is a smaller version of the exhaust fitting in the stern. It sounds like you are describing a tub drain for a regular bathtub. I wish. That would be easier. I'd send a photo but I'm not on the mainland. Perhaps a shower was an option. The head faucet has a diverter and the overhead has a shower curtain track. It is very tight.

thanks very much.

Jim

#4 ·
There is no room under my bathroom floor, and the bilge stops just short of the bathroom. I have a Centerboard setup. I built a heat exchanger for the engine and have a hand held, sink type sprayer and hose stored in the port lazarette long enough to use in the cockpit. Works great for washing down the cockpit whenever needed.

#5 ·
My bilge stops just at or a bit forward of the galley. I have the standard keel. There is a platform in that area of the bilge for a shower pump which had been removed by the PO. I just don't know how well the hose is attached to the outlet in the head floor. I don't see moisture when I use the shower there either. It would just be nice to know. I installed a diaphragm electric pump last year and it works well. I just know the hose will need to be replaced at some point and you'd think that someone would have done it by now.

Jim

#6 ·
As long as that hose is not disturbed...and is is not exposed to UV and not under pressure. The hose can last for decades...or decades more. I have never replace either sink drain hoses, and the two water tank fill hoses. And theses hoses are in fine shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.