Bristol 35 Center Board replacement - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-16-2015 Thread Starter

Bristol 35 Center Board replacement

I am looking at purchasing a 73 Bristol 35 center board keel.
The center board was removed at some point. If I get this boat I would like to replace the centerboard. I'm not having any luck on finding information- drawings, experience, knowledge is greatly welcome.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-16-2015
Barquito

Re: Bristol 35 Center Board replacement

I don't have any specific information about this model. However, as is mentioned frequently here, there are more active forum on the Yahoo site.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...oatowners/info
Delta-T likes this.

Bristol 27
Cirque
For Sale

Valiant 32
post #3 of 19 Old 04-17-2015

I can be of some help... Your centerboard actuator apparatus will be different than mine, but if you have questions about your setup, I do know how it was done and can point you in the right direction. There are detailed plans of the board it's self in my thread, you may have to scale it up for your boat, but maybe not. Centerboard repair-Bristol 32

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #4 of 19 Old 07-11-2015

I just wrote up my 35.5 CB replacement in this month's Good Old Boat magazine, including measuring, designing and build
post #5 of 19 Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I just wrote up my 35.5 CB replacement in this month's Good Old Boat magazine, including measuring, designing and build
Any chance of getting a link to the info on this repair and or post the info here on sailnet for preservation? I'm not sure how long GOB keeps their articles. And I can not find your article in GOB. I think it would be more help to other Bristol owners to have the info on a Bristol forum.

Thanks,

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #6 of 19 Old 08-04-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Guy in NJ parting out a Pearson 35 and has the centerboard for sale. May fit.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-04-2015
Freedom Chip Counter

I own an older Pearson Wanderer with a full keel and centerboard, drawing 3'-6" (up) / 7'-0" (dn). Being new to CB's, I asked about the benefits of having the CB down while having the boat surveyed. The seasoned surveyor said you can expect to gain 2 to 3 degrees on the wind and make slightly less leeway. He said many people abandon them and never look back - unless you are racing or traveling long distances they can be more trouble than they are worth on an older vessel. That being said, I plan on keeping and using mine, but for others it may be a viable option to omit the CB.

Best,
doo

S/V Little Tortuga - 1969 Pearson Wanderer 30
post #8 of 19 Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Being new to CB's, I asked about the benefits of having the CB down while having the boat surveyed. The seasoned surveyor said you can expect to gain 2 to 3 degrees on the wind and make slightly less leeway. He said many people abandon them and never look back - unless you are racing or traveling long distances they can be more trouble than they are worth on an older vessel.
There is a bit more to CB benefits. I would add the following:
- less heel when deployed from additional surface and weight below
- helps to balance the boat (less weather helm) which is important when using wind vane or autopilot.
- when negotiating a shallow water area (in sand or mud) centerboard can be used as a depth gauge.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 19 Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
There is a bit more to CB benefits. I would add the following:
- less heel when deployed from additional surface and weight below
- helps to balance the boat (less weather helm) which is important when using wind vane or autopilot.
- when negotiating a shallow water area (in sand or mud) centerboard can be used as a depth gauge.
+1 on that!

I find that there is very little maintenance to the Crb...check the cable every 5 years and replace the sheaves and cable every 20 years.

Eric
Delta-T
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #10 of 19 Old 08-04-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
I own an older Pearson Wanderer with a full keel and centerboard, drawing 3'-6" (up) / 7'-0" (dn). Being new to CB's, I asked about the benefits of having the CB down while having the boat surveyed. The seasoned surveyor said you can expect to gain 2 to 3 degrees on the wind and make slightly less leeway. He said many people abandon them and never look back - unless you are racing or traveling long distances they can be more trouble than they are worth on an older vessel. That being said, I plan on keeping and using mine, but for others it may be a viable option to omit the CB.

Best,
doo
I think it really depends on the boat, and it's sailing characteristics. Some centerboard/swing keel really are such poor performers that it does not matter. That seems to be where the thought of them being unnecessary came from. Also some boats seem to implement the raising mechanism better than others. A third factor is how much of a keel is there that the board goes into. Some have a pretty long and fairly effective keel without the centerboard. Seems many Endeavor 32s just eliminate it. Not sure what I would do, but it really does not seem like the maintenance is going to be all that expensive anyway. A cable (many replace with Dynema) is cheap and even if the pivot pin goes out it may be a pain in the arse to dig the old one out, not very expensive or difficult to replace once it is dug out.

But I have heard more than one sailor say they don't bother with it. I do know one boat I have sailed on with a centerboard gets really really bad weather helm without it being down. To the point that I was holding the tiller, and pushing with my legs on the opposite side of the cockpit. The wind had kicked up pretty bad unexpectedly and we were heading in anyway and it had to be brought up before going in so we just dealt with it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.