SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

trim point of reference

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jb1528 
#1 ·
Ok here's one for the Bristol 32. Does anyone KNOW the place to set a level for fore and aft trim? Right now, most counter top surfaces seem to indicate the boat is down at the bow. The boot stripe looks ok and the galley range is fine. I know if I fill the bow tank I'm really out of trim so I don't do that. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Jim

#2 ·
Yes, countertops are a good reference. Also perhaps the verticality of bulkheads. The cabin top aft of the mast might be a reference. The bootstraps is no good as all the goofballs who ever repainted it probably did it wrong. But remember that this is the marine industry where accuracy and repeatability are way down the list.

#3 ·
Yes the boot stripe is probably unreliable, but given how thick the paint is it has been that way a long time. But like the boot stripe changing over time, there are so many ways that stored gear, anchor rodes and the like can change trim, it would be nice to know where zero is. We noticed last year that we were a few degrees off athwartship. That led me to move a few things and voilà, it's good now. That's why I want to know where THE point of reference is. The designer knows the center of lateral resistance and the center of effort of the sail plan. He must know the center of balance for fore and aft trim. At least I can hope.

#5 ·
Hi Jim,

A few questions. What year is your boat? What do you have for anchor rode, all chain? Was you boat re-powered? If so what is the weight of new engine and transmission? What do you have for Batts and where are they located? Was your boat modified with a holding tank? Is your boat a full keel or Crb?

#6 ·
Hey Eric, I've been wondering about my anchor system being part of the issue. I have a 35lb cqr with 100' of 5/16 chain and 150' if 1/2" nylon rope. There are two big danforth anchors in the stern with an outboard on the stern rail. My boat is a 1975, hull 165, standard keel. It was repowered with a universal M4-30, their atomic 4 replacement. It weighs 40-50lbs less. It has the typical Hurth gear that weighs about 20lbs. Two batteries in the port factory battery box opposite the starbord water heater. No holding tank. We use a portapotty.

I get where all the weight is. I suspect that the counters are the reference point. I know weight in the ends is bad, but I am very reluctant to lighten my ground tackle. I've never checked trim under power at speed. The annoying thing about the trim now is that at anchor, we are a little bow down. Does it matter? MMMMMMaybe not, but... I'm curious about it. I also find it hard to believe the designers didn't anticipate robust ground tackle for example given the superb anchor roller. I won't be able to attend the anniversary event next June, but if you have a moment with Dieter, maybe you can ask him. 😊

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.