Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006

Dcneuro is on a distinguished road
Winterization

For the first time, I used an air compressor to blow out my fresh water system. I blew air until only a little spray was coming out each faucet. Is there any reason to believe that this may not suffice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
How about the water in the PUMP? Do you have hot water and did you get those lines and the heater too?
Old 11-05-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dr. S., it depends on the physical layout of the plumbing. Simpelst situation: If there is a section of hose that forms a shallow "U" shape, the air can blow out enough water so that the base of the "U" is still 90% full of water, and then the air is just blowing across the top of it. Leaving enough water in the hose to still freeze and expand and possibly do damage, possibly not.

You *probably* are OK with just blowing it out, although leaving the air blowing for a while (to pick up more water) or pushing some alcohol (i.e. cheap vodka or 100% medicinal<G>) through the system is also a good idea. As the alcohol evaporates, it will take more water out with it. Or remain and act as antifreeze. Easier to be a bit compulsive than to replace leaky plumbing in the spring.
Old 11-05-2006

Winterization

Being a closed system, the air was forced into the line that attaches to the pump, I disconnected the pump lines in and out, which was already empty from physically draining the system. It is my presumption that the air forced the water out of the heater, (about 10 gallons came out during the process). We ran each line independently, (galley hot, then cold, then head hot, cold, and shower), until only air and slight spray were coming through. Then we did the lines to the two hand pumps. I then checked some hoses to see if water was pooling and did not see any.

I like the Et-OH idea. To do that in place of glycol AND in place of what I did, do you just place about two liters of vodka in the tank and then run it into the system? How do you know when it is through the line to the faucets, (periodic cocktail?) If I do that now, I would think since the lines are empty, I would need a lot more vodka to get it through the system.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dcneuro; 11-05-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Doc...I'd still put some Vodka in the hot water heater. (And add orange juice in the spring...cause you know you can't de-winterize without a screwdriver! )
Old 11-05-2006

Esconditas is on a distinguished road
Talking come on down!

Doc: just mve the boat down here to South Texas....no need to winterize down here.... maybe air conditioning.... but no winter... And save the Vodka for the trip down...
Jim
Old 11-05-2006

Good to hear from you!

Jim, great to hear from you on this forum. I have had it with Yahoo, I have had problem after problem replying to messages, gave up and plan to reside on this site. Good to see you here as well, (as much of my correspondence has been b/n you and Mass).

The wife hates the heat, (go figure!) I left Naples, Fl in about 95. Hate the rat race up here, (not to mention the cold), although, I do a pretty good job of avoiding it. Might get as far as the Carolina's one day. At least I live on the shore half the week, and Eh, Winds Up Doc? the rest. I may even bunk up on the hard with my toasty fire a few days this nasty winter. I suppose I should consider the vodka...