SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Bristol (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/bristol/)
-   -   Auxiliary Outboard for Bristol 27 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/bristol/26343-auxiliary-outboard-bristol-27-a.html)

dinkum1 11-30-2006 04:56 PM

Auxiliary Outboard for Bristol 27

Does anyone have any experience with mounting an auxiliary outboard to the transom of a Bristol 27 or would otherwise know why it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done? If it can be done, are there any suggestions for an outboard horsepower rating?

Harley

coreywoodworking 02-05-2007 10:52 AM

Bristol 27 engine choices

Most B27s, despite what the builders wanted you to think, came with just the engine well, and not an inboard Atomic 4. Ten years ago, on the original Sailnet forum (we Bristolini had 210 members at one time) I did a survey of B24, B26 and B27 outboard owners. (I've owned a B26 and B27.)

I'm presuming, from your question, that you had an inboard and due to cost or necessity, you need an outboard for this summer. Most owners of a Bristol, I think, would dislike the look of an engine hanging off the Alberg stern (though sometimes we don't really have a choice). If you can't recut the engine well inside the lazarette, OK.

Of the 24 respondents, the conclusions were 6-8 HP, 25" shaft, hi-thrust prop, ideally four-stroke. One problem encountered was that the Yamaha and Honda four-strokes couldn't fit inside the lazarette, some just without the engine cover.

Some liked the two stroke Nissans as they were light. I had a two-stroke OMC 25" shaft 9.9, which weighed 90 lbs. One note: If you do recut the engine well, and mount a two-stroke, you have to assure a constant air supply, direct to the engine or it will choke on its own exhaust and keep quitting on you.

From experience, having a pull-start, tiller-mount engine wasn't bad. Not being able to quickly change the gears was harrowing, especially in a harbor. Whatever engine you get, get a high-thrust prop, pitch 6-7. It makes a huge difference, especially in backing ability (usually difficult for a full-keel Bristol).

Email me directly at marinewoodwork@gmail.com if you have other questions.

scott#1 03-14-2007 02:23 PM

Agree with everything in coreywoodworking's post. Beyond the aesthetics, the angle and height of the traditional transom and counter seem prohibitive to transom mount.

I upgraded in 2001 from a Johnson Sailmaster to a new Yamaha four stroke 8 hp long shaft with low-pitch prop. The 8 hp is in the same chassis as the 6 hp, ie nice & small. Would've put the Honda or Yamaha four stroke 9.9 in but neither fit in the well.

In everything but dead-on short chop over three feet combined with breeze over 15 kts, the motor is adequate.

Good luck

Scott
1967 Bristol 27 hull #0177
Harbour Duck
Manchester, MA