SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hatch/Doghouse removal question on B29.9

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CarbonSink 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has a good process for removing the sliding hatch on a B29.9 (and many other Bristols I suspect).

Today I replaced the (crummy) factory traveller on my Bristol 29.9 with a new one from Garhuaer Marine. Selkie has mid-boom sheeting with a molded-in traveller "ridge" on the doghouse. This ridge is just ahead of the aft edge of the doghouse, where the sliding hatch disappears under it. My plan of attack was to first remove the old traveller and then remove the doghouse completely. Then install the new traveller on the doghouse and re-attach to the cabin roof.

I did succeed in getting the new traveller installed but my original plan was thwarted by the discovery that not only was the doghouse attached to the cabin top by self tapping and machine screws on the sides and forward edge, but was also attached by a bead of adhesive/sealant along those same edges. Cutting through this adhesive with the tools I had on hand was not feasible and promised gelcoat damage from trying to lever the doghouse edges upward. Instead I opted to remove the sliding hatch and access the nuts on the traveller from underneath the edge of the doghouse.

This plan B worked, but removing the sliding hatch was a bear. I loosened as many accessible mounting screws as possible on the hatch's aluminum tracks and with a lot of levering, twisting and cursing was able to disengage the hatch from the tracks. Reinstalling was just as difficult as removal, and along the way I was thinking that there had to be a smarter way to do this but just couldn't see one. Hence this post. Anyone ever found a better way to remove and reinstall the sliding hatch than brute force and ignorance?

The new traveller looks great and will be less of a finger-loss hazard than the old one was. I would have posted a picture of the installation but it was dark when I finished. Can't wait to sail with it, in fact I can't wait to just go sailing....... Mind you, there's more snow in the forecast this week so some more skiing won't hurt either.... One nice thing about Utah and the Salt Lake is that you get to play on the water twice, once when it's frozen and again when it's not.

See less See more
#3 ·
You might want to edit the title of your thread. I looked up your boat and it does not have a "dog house". If you are referencing the "hatch garage" or "sea hood" it's best to call it that.
Conventional naming (or close to it) makes searching easier.

I have removed that structure on our boat once... lots of screws thru the fiberglass, set on a stubborn bed of sealant. It was fiddly work! :)

Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks for the correction. I have been calling it that all my life (and i'm no spring chicken).

It seems a proper doghouse is bigger, more like a fixed dodger that does cover the companionway, but thats not the primary purpose. I am wondering if that name is commonly used in Scotland, where I grew up and started sailing. Well, anyway, this old dog will have to learn a new trick and call it something else! Sea hood sounds about right.

Thanks
Eric

#6 ·
In HVAC a roof top unit that has a side discharge and ducts turned down, we use a cover the we call a dog house. Again, I understood what you were talking about, a cover that is water tight. That works.

#7 ·
I just recently purchased a 1978 29.9 that still has the original traveller track and car, however the loop on the car is broke and I cannot seem to find the replacement. Was wondering if you still had the one you removed as I would be interested in in buying it from you if possible. Also interested in some pictures of the set up so I can get some ideas fire future upgrades.

#8 ·
Hi Kalaka, congratulations on your new black hole to through money into! Are you talking the main sheet Car? Headsail car? Who are you asking for the car from? I don't see any mention of the car in this thread. I do have an old one of both man and headsail, but you are going to want to measure your T track to make sure it will fit. Not all setups are the same. Does your car have ball bearings? My old one broke and I had a new SS loop welded on, that worked fine. I did find a replacement car at West Marine, I think the added + was that it has plastic slides.

#10 ·
Late to the party, I know.

I replaced the traveler on Zen Again last winter (Spring '18). I had no trouble removing the sea hood; maybe 2 dozen wood screws into the deck and 4 machine screws through the coachroof. It had a sealant, but it gave way easily. I just brought the hood home and worked in my shop.

The only wrinkle was that the underside of the sea hood was curved but the traveler track was flat. I bought a bunch of metric bolts in many lengths. Ended up grinding a mm or so off a few of them.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.