Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009

bobitchin is on a distinguished road
Cool another Bristol 24

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I acquired a Bristol 24 this summer. It is a work in progress. I had some major bulkhead rot due to a chain plate leaking and then the boat stored for about 7 years. In reading your posts, it sounds like my boat may have a cement balast? Mine is a 1977, hull # 652.

Also, I would really like to see the pics of the 10-year resoration project for some inspiration...
jesselee likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009

Piperdude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboatwright View Post
I took 10 years to refurbish my B24, If you would like pictures, send me your mailing address and I'll send you a comprehensive CD.
Congrats on your new boat Bobitchin. I have a B24: Bristol 24 Corsair Sailboat - Home Port and I think they're great boats. As an aside, if that CD is still available, I'd like to have a look too.
Old 11-22-2009

...one more thing. If anyone knows how/where to get a rub rail replacement for the 24, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2009

Luke8955 is on a distinguished road
i recently bought 1969 Bristol 24 with two frineds. hull 391. we too have concrete ballast. When we tack we hear water moving across bildge. We have not came across more than usual water in the bildge and wondering about the sound. it seems according to previous treads, we may have some water in the keel. our boat is on the water and plan to sail all winter and continues. well. we will see when and how to inspect the water problem and how to go about this. Meanwhile, we all enjoy sailing her and she is awesome!
Old 11-23-2009

billsull is on a distinguished road
Hi Piperdude,

Have you checked out taco marine? They sell 1 1/8" x 1 1/4" flexible rubrail (part # V11-3161), plus the rigid track that the rub rail mounts to. Check out this link:

Flexible Rub Rail @ http://tacomarine.com

I bought enough for a complete rubrail from them many years ago ('93) and if can't get my rub rail cleaned up this winter, I might be buying more from them soon!
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2009

Thanks billsull. I'll check into it and let you know how I make out.
Old 11-25-2009

WEB64YC is on a distinguished road
Bristol 24 ballast

Found a concrete engineer to discuss treating the ballast, and he suggested the first step would be take a 2" core of the ballast to see what is in there. This could be done from the top without much damage if a boring machine would fit down through the companionway. The hole could easily be glassed over. My bilge is about 10-3/4" deep at the aft end, but some white residue similar to concrete has leaked from a couple of small blisters on the hull down in the ballast area. Possibly I have lead encapsulated in concrete.

Wayne Batcheler
Bristol 24 "Banoo" Hull #576
Noank, CT
Old 01-14-2014

prettyredcars is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 24 restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboatwright View Post
I took 10 years to refurbish my B24, If you would like pictures, send me your mailing address and I'll send you a comprehensive CD.
That would help me a lot! Just began restoring my Sailstar 24. Planning on re fiberglassing the entire floor this weekend so I don't take water into my ballast through the top. Im considering adding a third pin since the aft most one is rusted where the fiber glass split on the top. Any suggestions for that?

The thought of drilling a hole for it into my ballast is terrifying