Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009

ows1id is on a distinguished road
Still looking for solution...1975 32 forward hatch

I hhave been looking for a source for a hatch cover for the forward hatch for my 1795 Bristol 32

any ideas ??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"my 1795 Bristol 32"
Did George Washington sleep on it? (VBG)

Any canvas shop should be able to make one up for you. Or any upholstery shop, a hatch cover usually is a very simple shape.
Old 02-09-2009

Perhaps iIam using the wrong term. what i am looking for is made of fiberglass about 28 inches to a side and is hinged to the boat. just forward of the mast My original one was torn off in a hurricane.
Old 02-09-2009
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
ows1id,

Something like that you would probably have to make yourself or get lucky and find someone who doesn't need theirs.

If you decide to make one out of fiberglass, it's probably not going to be easy, I would suggest making one out of wood and plexiglass. Just make a frame and have the plexiglass as the top where it's like a skylight.

Or, you could cut the opening a little larger so that you could install a standard hatch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 02-10-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Oh, the hatch cover. I think that's what the fully removable "lids" are or were called on tall ships and freighters, but on small craft I've always just heard the entire thing called "the hatch". The hinged lid, the frame in the deck, the whole thing just referred to as the hatch. Dunno if that's just sloppy talk and wrong.

I think what you need will either need to be found from a shop that carries salvage (like Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale, and a handful of others across the country) or fabricated for you. If the old one was a simple cirved piece of fiberglass that sat flush on a gasket, I'd look into having a plexi shop curve up a piece of plexi to replace it. If it came down around a gasket, i.e. like a pizza box lid, you'd probably have to do some custom wood framing, or custom glass work. At a certain point it can be easier to actually cut a new hole in the deck, slightly larger than the current one, and drop in a complete hatch assembly to replace it. New hinges, new gasket, whole thing will only take a couple of hours to install, including the cutting. (Assuming you can find, or build up, a nearly flat line to install it in.)
Old 02-10-2009

hatch or hatch cover whatever it is called it has been hard to find. I am only a couple of hours from sailorman. so I might give that a try.
I have also considered having one made from plexiglass. It would help if there was a source to get some detailed plans?? The natural curve of the boat makes it tricky to construct. I tried one in wood but it didn't come out very well. The original was fiberglass and closed on top of a gasket.
Old 02-10-2009
Plausible Deniability

I doubt anyone has the plans, most of the shops that closed up simply threw everything out over the years. "The natural curve of the boat makes it tricky to construct." Sometimes you can make a mold form a material like corrugated cardboard. Spray the deck and gasket with mold release (or multiple coats of wax) and let the cardboard soak up a water-based glue, like Elmers, until it is somewhat soggy. Then drape it in place & let it cure overnight. Now you've got a 3D template that's about the same thickness as 1/4" plexi and a good shop can copy the shape pretty well.

But I'd bet the guys at Sailorman can give you a better solution, or a referral to some professional help in your area.

Old hatch blow away while the boat was being transported on the road?
Old 02-11-2009

I am thinking about making a cardboard form ,after I talk to sailorman, If I could get a cardboard form to work ,trial and error method, then I would take to a local plexiglass shop to make, or perhaps a frame out of aluminum and then a plexiglass cover made to fit
Old 02-12-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Are you looking to maintain the original look with the curved cover? If not, Hood Systems makes a nice modern flat hatch. Check it out on Kestrel:
S/V Kestrel - The Boat
Scroll down and look at pics 14 and 15.
Old 03-01-2009

Dcneuro is on a distinguished road
hatch

Find a wood worker, and have a custom one made. I woodworker in Brooklyn did that rather nicely. If you are interested, I could get you his email address. Otherwise, look for a salvage Bristol 32 from which to procure yourself a hatch.

Dr. S.