SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bristol Corinthian advice

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Delta-T 
#1 ·
I am going to look at a Bristol Corinthian 19 for sale locally. This will be my first boat bigger than a Sunfish. Does anyone have any experience with Corinthians and have any advice of what to check for?

#2 · (Edited)
I am very pleased with my '78 ("Wind Song"). She is in near flawless condition. I sail her out of Callville Bay, on Lake Mead. Great boat for a party of two! If you want photos of what a Corinthian can be, ask and I will send you some.

My boat was produced under the Sailstar name. I think they were better made under that company name than under the predecessor company, Bristol. There is literature on the internet you can read to make up your own mind.

I suggest you line up a good trailer if you buy one of these boats. Check the trailering requirements of your state. Most likely you will have to buy a custom made trailer because it needs to be correctly sized to the boat, etc. Sailboat trailers are really hard to find, especially one in decent condition and suitable to your boat's size and displacement. Also, make sure your trailer has a keel guide- loading can be difficult without one. Lastly, fully open and inspect each sail for wear and tear; likewise for all of your standing rigging.

As boats go, the Corinthian is a true classic, both in its design and its construction. If you are passionate about owning one and you don't mind the work required to bring it into bristol condition, it can be a very rewarding experience (just don't look at it in terms of return on investment- it isn't there... yet). Once you are there, stand-by; being accosted by the informed and uninformed alike is very common in my experience. Why? These boats show beautifully when in bristol condition, and especially when mounted on a beautiful trailer.

#4 ·
Hi Bruce,

I just bought a Corinthian today for my family, wife and I and 10 and 13 year ole who are learning how to sail. We will do this on Eastern Lake Erie, mostly in a protected bay on the Canadian shore. I was looking for a Cape Dory Typhoon first, then started looking at the Corinthian and Ensign given their deeper, though non bailing cockpits. Was learning towards the Ensign because the cockpit is bigger, but the family wanted the Corinthian. One was available locally with solid hull and deck, but interior gutted and rotting beam under mast. Would have been a major rehab, but the price was right.

Found a one owner boat on the east coast that I bought today. So having a little buyers remorse and looking forward to hearing all the great things about the Corinthian.

Any advice on rehab projects, sails, trailering, etc is most welcome.
The boat does collect a modest amount of water in the cavity immediately below the companionway in the cabin. the owner placed a small hole there to sponge up only water. Not crazy about that, but did not think it was a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.