SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Look for Bristol 28 owners

12K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  rderiso 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi
I own a Bristol 28s SKI GULL (1972). Very little is know about the 28's and the is a lot of speculation on how many were built. I have heard 7 to 30 Hulls.
I trying to build some history on the 28"s, and put together photos of each boat.
See Pictures at
https://www.facebook.com/Bristol28Sailboats/
But I am looking for facts.

Bristol 28 Half Ton
1972 Vandalay Hull # 1
1972 SKI GULL Hull # ??????????
1973 Great Scot Hull # 8
1973 Ellen R Hull # 9
1972 Hull #10
1975 Ol' Blu Hul #18 HIN BYT28018575
1975 Sultana, Hull #19 Jeff Mann
1976 Aimless Hull # 20 BTY280200276
???? WIRED Sail # 29
???? Dynamite-Lady Hull#????
Thanks for any information anyone can give me.
Les

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hull #9

Les,

I am the new owner of Hull #9. It was originally titled in '73 - even though it was advertised as a 75; because there is no legitimate HIN I have no way of verifying actual build date. These are pretty unique little boats.

Here is a pic of the boat in the water:

http://www.kristinrutkowski.com/pictures/sailboat.jpg

- since mine is on the hard for the next couple of days I will see if I can get you a picture of her on jacks. I am interested to see what your research yields.

Seth

#3 · (Edited)
Seth
I been sail on Ski Gull for over 10 years.
I am the 4th owner of Hull #1 Bristol 28. Eastport Yacht Sales used a picture of my boat out of the water in the ad the ran on yachtworld.com to sell your 28.
I am told by my Stepfather my boat has some Intersting history.
I told around 1972 #1 hull was taken to a boat show as bare boat with no interior or engine to sell orders. She was later sold to be raced out of Marblehead Ma. When I stipped the bottom paint #1 had a old boot stripe 6 to 8 inchs lower. I was told the 1st owner sold a line of Ski boats and that is were the name Ski Gull came from. Ski Gull later had the interior and engine installed. I have seen the interior of one other 28 and it was very fancy lot more wood work. Ski Gull's interior looks just like your #9. So I wonder if Ski Gull was returned to Bristol about the time #9 was out fitted to have the interoir installed or if they just copied one of the sister ships. Ski Gull's 2nd owner was a Dentist. After only couple years the Dentist sold Ski Gull to my Stepfather in 1978. My stepfather sail her out of Ipswich, Massachusetts untill the late 1980's When he mover her to the north Chesapeake Bay. A Few years later He mover her close to Oriental NC. After spend 20 years in the Navy and Navy Reserve working on fighter Jets. my stepfather got me hook on sailing. I got Ski Gull in in 2004. I Move Ski Gull to Washinton NC about 4 Years ago
My Stepfather said he spoke to someone at Bristol Yachts in 1978 who told him the were only 7 hulls layed up for the 28's. Ski Gull is a USCG document boat since new and is listed as Hull #1 on that paperwork.
I do not doubt that your 28 was hull # 9 as Hull #8 is already listed on the Bristol owners web site. Understood from Eastpost Yacht sales web site that the Bristol plaque in the cockpit had a #9 on it . The cockpit plaque on hull #1 has 302. I think the plaque on #1 was left over from another run of boats. I not sure how many 28 Bristol layed up, at this Point I have heard a number as high as 30. But if there are 30 other 28's they in hiding. I been looking for other 28's on the internet for years now and I have only seen 4 28's every listed.
As I said I am trying to gather information on the Bristol 28's. So any Information you can send me about the Your 28 would be helpful. pictures copies of old records on just the oral history on your 28. Once I get it together I send a copy to you.
For some reason I could not see the picture in the Link.
I think you going to be very happy with your boat. She feel big but handle small. I only caution you to reef sooner then later as she have a good bit of weather helm in a sudden blow.
We heading out today hope to sail to ocracoke
Let try to keep in touch.
Les

#4 ·
SkiGull Haul out

Seth
Had SkiGull Hauled out today. She look pretty good after 2 year in water. Afraid I can not get picture to load. Would like to see how you rudder is hung. Main bottom attachment point.
Les

#6 ·
Not sure how to get ahold of the Rockhall Owner

Les,

I had mine out for engine work 2 weeks ago, but didn't get any close ups of the rudder....I will send you the few pics I did take with my IPHONE though. It is a Skeg hung rudder. She is coming out for the season in November then I can get you any pics you might request.

Hopefully whoever bought that boat on Ebay is a Sailnet member and will find us - I couldn't get the seller's info from the marina. Snipe63 got his boat as a Katrina rescue..so it isn't him.

As far as the HIN..I know how Bristol HIN numbers work but still can't find it. Maryland actually assigned me a generic HIN - which I am responsible for putting on the boat. I will probably do this over the winter.

Take care and let me know what your search yields.

Seth

#8 ·
Les,
As far as the HIN..I know how Bristol HIN numbers work but still can't find it. Maryland actually assigned me a generic HIN - which I am responsible for putting on the boat. I will probably do this over the winter.

Take care and let me know what your search yields.

Seth
It's a very shallow stamp and is probably filled with paint. But it is where thit's supposed to be. :)

#12 ·
Hi Neil
The link you listed is for the Information I gave the Bristol Owners web site a few years back. Afraid we have no real documentation on how many B28's were laid up from Bristol Yachts. But it starting to look like there may be 10 or 11. I have found 6 hulls but Because some of the boats were laid up and sold before November 1972 not all of the have a HIN in the hull.
So in you travels in Tx keep and eye for a B28.
One Hull was a Katina damage Boat that was sold on ebay this summer and shipped back to Marblehead Ma. So no telling were the rest are.
Thanks
Les

#13 ·
Bristol 28

Bristol owners I need your help. Winter is upon us and many boats will be hauled for the winter. So please keep a eye out for Bristol 28's.
Thanks
PS these are not Bristol Channel Cutter's.
B28 are fin keel Bristols

#14 · (Edited)
Bristol 28

I have a 1973 Bristol 28 and I agree it is hard to find any info on them. I used to be a yachtbroker for 15 years and rarely came across one. Our keel and rudder look quite different than yours. We have a sort of a swim platform attached to our transom (probably added to increase the waterline when previous owner raced her) Our rudder appears to be much longer than yours and is attached to a very narrow skeg. As we were fitting her out this year we noticed that the skeg has delaminated right at the bottom where it attaches to the rudder and we are wondering how to repair it. When we bought the boat in 1991 the skeg was delaminated so we had the yard (Spring Point in S. Portland) build a new skeg.I guess they built it the same way and it did the same thing. It's not as bad as before except that there appear to be 2 separate pieces so now nothing is holding the smaller piece (that attaches to the rudder) to the bottom of the skeg. We don't know if just grinding it down and reglassing will hold it or if we should put a metal plate on there and then glass it. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Our boat's name is WIRED and she was previously owned by an electrician in Portland and was raced, I believe. We've owned her for almost 20 years and she has been a great boat. Sails like a dream even with the old sails we bought her with (probably will replace the genoa soon).

#15 ·
Wired

Good to hear from you. Email me at iiilps(at)aol.com and I send you picture of my skeg. We cut it off at one time to rebuild the rudder. You B28 make the number 7 of the hulls I found. Does you boat have a HIN on the starboard quarter. Would like to have some pictures of you Boat. I have some of others I can share with you. B28 were build to race in the 1/2 ton class In early 70"s.
Smooth sailing
Les

#17 ·
correction OVER 20 Bristol 28s - through 1976

I have #20, 0276 is hull date. It seems to be evolving towards the 29.9 as it appears to have the 29.9 rig (longer boom, & 32' P), and a anchor platform/sprit.

The 29.9 post dates the 28. It seems to me that Bristol liked the hull, but wanted something more cruisy - wheel, no bridge deck, and no IOR rig and a centerboard / shoal draft. The move worked as many more 29.9 were built and it seems the production lasted almost until they went under?

If anyone has more info, please share - I am new to the Bristol world. :)

#18 ·
Bristol 28

I have #20, 0276 is hull date. It seems to be evolving towards the 29.9 as it appears to have the 29.9 rig (longer boom, & 32' P), and a anchor platform/sprit.

The 29.9 post dates the 28. It seems to me that Bristol liked the hull, but wanted something more cruisy - wheel, no bridge deck, and no IOR rig and a centerboard / shoal draft. The move worked as many more 29.9 were built and it seems the production lasted almost until they went under?

If anyone has more info, please share - I am new to the Bristol world. :)
Seahorse
Thank for the Post. I got to check but I think I had heard of your B28. Fact is I in 20 years I have not found more than 7 B28 hulls. Please send me more info about you Boat. How did you come to own it and where are you located.

#20 ·
Good Morning,
I don't know if this forum is still active but I just acquired a 1975 Bristol 28. HIN Number is BYT28018575 I am currently in Southern Maryland. I bought it from the Marina, the previous owner came into some hardship and bad timing with the hull and sold it to them and I picked it up. I have now had it a week or so but little bit of work here and there but she is coming together. I am hoping to have her back in the water soon but every thing has its place. She is currently red base, a dark navy blue on top with a white deck. Ol' Blu is her name. I am Johnny. I am still trying to find out if the engine onboard is standard or an upgrade. She is equipped with a 2 cylinder Westerbeke Diesel Engine. Is this in the normal. If so can anyone share engine model number can not locate. If any questions or tips for a new sailboat owner please let me know. This is my first boat so I am definitely getting the works.

#21 ·
Bristol 28 owners

Hi littlejohnny&OlBlu

Yep I still looking B28. I have to check my notes and get back to you about you B28. But I can tell you that most likely she did not come with the 2 cylinder Westerbeke Diesel Engine. I think most of the B 28 start out with Atomic 4 Gas engines.
You Hin would make you B28 the 18th Hull. But I don't think Bristol was very accurate with the Hull numbers. As To day I oly found or 8 B28's
If you get on FB check out the Bristol Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/52017206405/

Westerbeke Diesel Engine
westerbeke, marine generators, engines, Official Site

Email me at iiilps(at)aol.com
Les

#23 ·
Hey David/ Jeff
How long have you own your B28. I am familiar with Belhaven. Those are tight water for a B28 with her 5 foot draft. I use to have SKI GULL at Mccotters Marina Washington N.C.
I like to have Pictures of you B28 You can email me at iiilps(at)aol.com

#24 · (Edited)
Still Looking for Bristol 28's
Link to FB Bristol 28 page
Lots of Pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/Bristol28Sailboats/?ref=hl

But I am looking for facts.

Bristol 28 Half Ton
1972 Vandalay Hull # 1
1972 SKI GULL Hull # ??????????
1973 Great Scot Hull # 8
1973 Ellen R Hull # 9
1972 Hull #10
1975 Ol' Blu Hul #18 HIN BYT28018575
1975 Sultana, Hull #19 Jeff Mann
1976 Aimless Hull # 20 BTY280200276
???? WIRED Sail # 29
???? Dynamite-Lady Hull#????
Thanks for any information anyone can give me.
Les

#25 · (Edited)
Don't know if you are still looking for 28 owners, but I just made a deal to take over a Bristol 28 called (An Faoilean) (was called Gold Rush at one time), currently out of Anacortes WA, but was part of the Boston Yacht Club as recently as 2008. So found some info in the USCG archives.. The boat is a 1972 Bristol 28, Placard under the lazerette says 558568NET10. USCG says VIN is D558568 Net tonnage is 10. Can anyone decipher the hull Number from this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.