Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
Regarding the head, I would seriously consider glassing over the through hulls and just putting one of these in:

Nature's Head

No more pump-outs, much less maintenance. When it get's time to replace my head, that's the way I'm going. Plus you'll get extra stowage or water tankage where the holding tank would have been.

-Colin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2009

FishmanTx is on a distinguished road
The deck re-core is easier than redoing the bottom, IMHO. We're doing both. Our core is soft from the shrouds forward to the pulpit, also the cockpit sole forward of the pedestal, and the port cockpit bench. Use a roto-zip(or similar) with an "edge" attachment or jig, or a small 4-6" bladed circular saw to do your cutting. Use a palm sander with 50grit to remove what core the putty knife won't. In a larger area you can use a grinder with 50g on a sander attachment(LIGHTLY!). Properly bedded marine grade plywood will do instead of replacing with balsa. In curved areas, use 2 thinner sheets rather than 1 thick for ease of maintaining the curvature of the deck. There are LOADS of online videos at MAS products, West System, YouTube, etc. on how to do glasswork or recore on cockpit seats and decks. For a semi step-by-step that's VERY helpful, check out "Glissando" and all their projects.

Glissando re-core:
Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | Deck Recore Project
"Our Baby"

Last edited by FishmanTx; 11-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2010

tugboatdon is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,
I have been a little busy working on the Bristol so I have not posted anything for a while. I have done a lot more deconstruction than I thought I would have to. I have to replace the forward starboard bulkhead (rotted out at the chainplate), The most forward chainplate knee is rotted, the lower corner of the starboard v-berth is rotted. That is just a few of the issues I am having. On a happier note I started recoring the cabin roof. All of the core was wet. I am using 2 1/2" strips of plywood and West System Epoxy. I am wetting out the plywood and fiberglass and then mixing a batch with silica filler to bond it all. It seems to be strong enough as i have stood on the roof and it is not flexing. I am getting off the tug Thursday and will be at it again. I have both sides of the deck to do next to the cabin. I will not have this even close to finished for this season, but will take more time to do a good job for next year. Once this all starts coming togrther i will post some pictures. Happy sailing Don