Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009

FishmanTx is on a distinguished road
Question Bristol 34 Mast Step....Help!

Does anyone out there have a pic of 34' mast step in place (keel stepped) or the measurements? We pulled the fragments and the rust pile that used to be our step out of the bilge and it's totally shot! Steel plate used to be around 9"x14", 1" or so thick and slotted fore and we think aft as well but it's hard to tell. The steel had rusted and "delaminated" and crumbled in our hands. We need to fabricate a new one, probably from aluminum block and have it milled.

Thx!
"Our Baby"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2009

SkiGull is on a distinguished road
mast step

The mast step on my B28 is stainless steel. I do not have a pictures but it about 1" wider than the mast on each side and about 2" Longer front and back. It has 4 raised places on the inside were the mast would sit to hold it in the center of the plate. it has 4 holes one in each corners so you can Lag bolt it down to the Keel. Had to trim mast 1/4 to remove some corrosion after 30 years. We then but 1/4 aluminum plate under the step separated with a be a piece of plastic. If I make to the boat this weekend I will see if it can get a picture.

Last edited by SkiGull; 11-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishmanTx View Post
Does anyone out there have a pic of 34' mast step in place (keel stepped) or the measurements? We pulled the fragments and the rust pile that used to be our step out of the bilge and it's totally shot! Steel plate used to be around 9"x14", 1" or so thick and slotted fore and we think aft as well but it's hard to tell. The steel had rusted and "delaminated" and crumbled in our hands. We need to fabricate a new one, probably from aluminum block and have it milled.

Thx!
Since you have already removed the mast, it would be easy to trace a pattern of the mast section That, along with the measurements of the area where the old step was located, a good machine shop will be able to easily fabricate a new step for you.

How does the bottom inch or so of the mast look? I have often had to cut a little off the bottom to get to clean metal and have had the new step built up to compensate for the loss of height.
Old 11-30-2009

I was gonna mill a piece of aluminum block myself and customize it to fit. The original studs are shot and won't be reused for mounting but will be used for holding the poured epoxy "bedding" for the new foot. New 316SS studs(bolts) will be put in to mount the base. Also, I've got to cut about 1-1/2 to 2" of nastiness off the bottom of the mast.
"Our Baby"
Old 12-01-2009

SkiGull is on a distinguished road
Mast step

I've got to cut about 1-1/2 to 2" of nastiness off the bottom of the mast.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan. I would cut mast first that way you know how much you have to build up the Mast step when you mill the aluminum block . Unless you replacing all the standing rigging. If you replacing the standing rigging you could re-rig to the new shorter mast height.
Old 12-02-2009

Mast: Yes I'm using the trimming for the new foot template.
Rigging: the rope is good but a few swages are cracked so we're reswaging all and trimming down the rope, mainly the shrouds. The stays have extender plates.
"Our Baby"
Old 12-02-2009
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
did you ck with riggrite.com? they may have what you need. I've heard they are difficult to deal with though.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Bristol 34 was designed by Halsey Herreshoff who is still living and who had a website not that long ago. I don't know if this is current but I had this email halsey@herreshoff.org You might email him for advise.

Regards,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-03-2009

Rigrite: Lost cause.

Halsey H: yup that was the next possible step.

Otherwise: I going to take the mast trimmings and glue it to a piece of pipe. Then run it thru the partners down to the foot and take measurements, then have the new foot milled out of 1-1/4" aluminum block or 3/4" stainless.

I would still like a pic of a good keel stepped foot in place as a reference.
"Our Baby"
Old 12-17-2010

dandrews83 is on a distinguished road
Neil, did you ever get a pic of the mast step? Reason I ask is I just bought a B34 and will be doing a lot of work to bring her back to life.

Don

Last edited by dandrews83; 12-20-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Misspelled word