Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010

Sandyego is on a distinguished road
buying a Bristol 24 Corsair, any thoughts

Hello everybody,
I'm Looking a buying a 1970 Bristol 24. Everyone seems to be totally happy with their bristol's and it appears to be a great boat to own. The current owner has done the following:
Most systems have been significantly upgraded, & deficiencies in the original design/construction have been dealt with & corrected. Her full keel with cutaway forefoot makes for wonderful tracking, even in the thick kelp beds of So. Cal. Her dimensions & design are comparable to the Carl Alberg Cape Dory 25D. She's beautiful, simple, safe, comfortable & performs wonderfully. Like other boats with a narrow beam & fine, she is initially somewhat tender in over 12 or so knots, but reaches a point of ultimate stability rather quickly. Her heavy internal ballast serves well to keep her upright in any conditions, but contrary to popular rumor, she is not a slow boat. Turn on the Raytheon Autopilot we are including with her gear & she will pretty much take care of herself. Double reef points and Jiffy/slab-reefing system make it easy to adjust your canvas to the conditions, insuring that you never have to fight an over-canvassed boat when the wind picks up. Exterior:ABI Stainless Steel Opening PortsOversized Standing Rigging, New in 2001New Spreader, Tangs & ChainplatesDeck Hardware installed in 2000Dock Lines and Running RiggingDecks & Topsides last painted in 2001Stanchions, Pulpits (Bow and Stern) & Double Lifelines, New in 2000Heavy Duty Traveler System, New Full Batten Mainsail (Last Year) with 2 sets of reef pointsJiffy/Slab Reefing System, installed in 2001, 3 Foresails (Working Jib, Genoa, Storm Jib) 2 Meissner 2-Speed Winches, new in 2001Uniden VHF Radio with Masthead Mounted Antenna, new in 2001Raytheon Autohelm, Garmin Chartplotter 276C with campaionway swivel mount. Brand new Yamaha 8hp High Thrust Outboard Engine with electric start and charging system (Less than 10 hrs on this motor). Navigation Lights and Wiring, New in 2001Mast Painted in 2001 Brand new (Never used) Fortress Anchor, Chain & RodeNew Whale Manual Bilge Pump, accessed from cockpit. Modified, Reinforced Outboard Engine WellShrouds Mounted Outboard with Stainless Steel Chainplates, Interior:Fynspray Solid Brass Water Pump 38 gallon Plastimo Flexible Water Tank Under Vee-berth, Large New Stainless Steel Galley SinkCeramic Tile Counter Tops Bronze Seacocks & New Hoses and Clamps Throughout, New in 2001Comfortable Vee-berth Forward, 2 Seaberths in Main SalonCustom Teak & Mahogany Interior Woodwork, Solid Brass Weems & Plath Kerosene Lamps with Reflector Mirrors & SmokebellsArmstrong Amtico Vinyl Flooring2 Burner Kenyon-Homestrand Pressurized Alcohol Stove, in Excellent Condition. All Sunbrella Interior Upholstery with Velcro Closures on New Foam CushionsCustom Teak Removable Salon Table with Pedestal Bright Varnish on Wood. Rebuilt and reinforced Rudder in 2007. Sale Includes Mooring bouy and 8 foot Sabot rowing dingy with beach bar permit through both paid through Feb of 2011.
He is asking $9500.00
I look forward to your comments
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
It's a nice boat. Chainplates and all through-deck hardware should be checked routinely for leaks.
My only comment is that seems like an awful lot of money for that boat. Yes, it's a nice boat and in a hundred times better shape than mine, which needs work (lots of work). And yes it's got all the nice toys. But some of those are getting a bit old, so they might not "count" in my math.
One of the guys that do surveying may comment and have better insight, but a nearby boat neighbor commented about mine that if I spent on it all the things I wanted to do (I showed him my wish list) I'd have a boat worth about $5000. Plus that some amount for the worth of the dinghy, mooring and permit worth and try offering in that range.
To my mind "new" in 2001 is not very new, for example. This is just my opinion, so don't try to set any of it in concrete.
Old 02-19-2010

Sandyego is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comment, I feel the same way, its a beauty but a bit over priced.
Old 02-19-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the seller really loves his boat but it's still a 40 y.o. boat even if it has been well cared for and maintained. I think that the asking price is a bit nuts compared to what else you might be able to buy for that kind of money even if it is 20% less then the asking price. I would think a price of half the asking price is more realistic which would still be top dollar for a nice but older boat.
Another member here bought a Bristol 24 on Long Island from someone for around $500 and sailed it down to the Chesapeake. That boat had some issues but had a motor and was in sail away condition. Granted this was really the other end of the spectrum where the seller just wanted to unload the boat and probably did not have much invested in the boat monetarily or emotionally.
Your seller may have to wait a while to get the price they seem to want for it.
Remember, $9500 is ONLY the asking price.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2010

Well, mine was essentially free - cost of winter storage & I had title in hand. But mine's not sailing just yet.
Old 02-20-2010
Beach lover

Sundude is on a distinguished road
Great boat ... go for it.

Expensive? Maybe not, when you consider the cost of upgrades/improvements often associated with a boat which has a low purchase price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundude View Post
Great boat ... go for it.

Expensive? Maybe not, when you consider the cost of upgrades/improvements often associated with a boat which has a low purchase price.
Ah yes, you've got a beauty there!
How's that big outboard fit in your well? I've often been curious about that.
Old 02-21-2010
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
A question, what do you plan on doing with it. I ask because I had a 68 Bristol 24. It was a good boat but I got it for $2000 and sold it two years later for $1600. It didn't have the list of toys the one your looking at has but for 10k, you could buy a lot newer boat and add the toys you want. The problem I see is that all the new stuff is ten years old already. At ten years old it's not new. I'd bet you could find something for a lot less money that you could put new "new" stuff on to for less then that.

Of course, you might price the mooring and beach permit. That could make up a big chunk of money you would of had to pay anyway.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 02-22-2010

FloridaWriter is on a distinguished road
Assuming the decks and cockpit sole have no core delamination or rot, the chainplate knees have no rot, the rudder has no structural issues and the bulkhead and cabinetry tabbing is in tack, you are still paying too much for a B24. You are buying lots of eye candy and most of that is almost a decade old. Definitely get a survey before going any further.

Good luck,

David

Old 02-25-2010

FishmanTx is on a distinguished road
Ditto! We bought our 73 B34 for $5700. Had some issues to resolve, but a good deal!
"Our Baby"