Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Bristol
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR828 View Post
Thank You very much. It really is a great boat and am currently updating it. Finally got back into the water this weekend. I am constantly impressed with the way Bristols are built. I am doing much of the renovation myself and am getting a firsthand glance at the quality.
Yes the quality of construction is good on all Bristols but it seems to be particularly excellent on the decimal series boats.

Just had the bottom stripped (due to lack of adhesion of the old paint) and painted on mine, not one single solitary blister on the whole bottom.

Then you hear about 5 year old Beneteaus with blisters and cracking gelcoat.

Last edited by MarkSF; 01-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
She is a recently reposwer boat with a 56 HP Yanmar. I actually like the setup of the 41.1 better than the 45. Thanks for the info on the decks, and fuel tanks. I had heard they were expensive to redo because of their location. She is in good condition and appears to be a well put together boat. What issues with pumbing have you found.

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-20-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
She is a recently reposwer boat with a 56 HP Yanmar. I actually like the setup of the 41.1 better than the 45. Thanks for the info on the decks, and fuel tanks. I had heard they were expensive to redo because of their location. She is in good condition and appears to be a well put together boat. What issues with pumbing have you found.

Dave

Dave
It does appear that the Bristols can have the same issues with water penetration into the cored decks as other brands.

I found some history of soft deck around the chainplates on my 31.1 and have just re-sealed them, after finding rainwater leaking in.

So I'd keep an eye out for leaks and consider starting a rolling re-sealing of all deck fittings, which is what I plan to do this summer. Certainly if you find any leaks below, stamp on it straight away before the core suffers.
Old 01-20-2012

JR828 is on a distinguished road
Hi Dave. The plumbing in my boat was copper tubing. I had some bad repairs that were unacceptable to me so i ripped it all out and started over adding and subtracting to my taste. I do not like the setup for the forward head and thus removed and patched where the old faucet was and put in new sinks and corian counters with new hardware that is more functional. I also added a fresh water washdown in the anchor locker and added a shower at the stern.
Old 01-31-2014

windnrock is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 41.1

Hi,
Old thread I see but thought I would chime in. Better late than never! I own a 1981 41.1 cutter, aft cockpit. Rebuilt her from bottom to top as she had been rode hard and put up wet. We replaced almost everything but I do love this boat. She is tough, forgiving and pretty!