SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Bristol (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/bristol/)
-   -   Bristol 29.9 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/bristol/76170-bristol-29-9-a.html)

Maverick1958 07-12-2011 10:46 PM

Bristol 29.9

I would like the thoughts of other Bristol owners. Would you consider the 29.9 a blue water boat or not.

Tempest 07-13-2011 08:20 AM

I owned a 29.9 for about 9 years, ( centerboard, Atomic 4, wheel converstion, dinette model),

I would consider it a great coastal cruiser. It was perfect for me, on the east coast of the US with some of the shallow bays and inlets. It was very sturdy and would handle a blow. It took a reef early, but once reefed had a very solid feel.

For extended offshore travel I would think that you'd have to overcome a few factors.
Tankage for both water and fuel was pretty limited ( I don't remember the exact capacities)
The standard electrical system was very basic by todays standards. When I purchased the boat the PO had added things like, auto-pilot, loran, depth, electro-san head..VHF, radio etc, and ran them all directly from the batteries. I had a new electrical panel built and ran all these accesories to the panel.

here's a Jack Horner Review. BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Bristol 29.9

It doesn't really answer your question. I agree with the Stand-up to a blow comment. I also never felt that it was sluggish..I had a very early unreliable, 150 roller furling and took it off the furler and had a sail loft put hanks on, preferring to hank on my sails at the time. More often than not, the 110 was plenty of sail to keep her moving.

hshannon 09-07-2011 01:46 PM

Personally, I think my B29.9 is a little to light to do serious off-shore work. But then it depends upon what kind of weather you get caught in. The original owner of my boat took it from Portsmouth NH to Bermuda twice that I know of and had no difficulties.

johnshasteen 09-08-2011 09:38 PM

You can take a 29.9 anywhere and in any weather you are dumb enough to sail. We've owned Paloma since she was almost new and sail offshore most of the time. We have sailed her all over the Gulf of Mexico, including the 600+ mile trip Isla Mujeres several times and the Galveston to Vera Cruz race three times. Twice, over the years, we have been caught in Force 10 storms, the most recent was in March of '08 - according to Coast Guard New Orleans, and confirmed by Coast Guard South Padre, the winds were 50-60, gusting higher and seas were 28-30 feet in the area were were in - we ran before the storm for some 36 hours before it finally abated - we worried for ourselves, but not for Paloma.
John, s/v Paloma, B29.9 #141

NewBaySailor 02-22-2012 12:31 AM

I think any sail boat can go anywhere, with the proper preparation and a little luck. John Vigor talks about modifications to a Catalina 27 that would need to be made for bluewater sailing in his book, "Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere." I imagine similar modifications would need to be made to a Bristol 29.9 for offshore sailing.

MarkSF 03-12-2012 01:41 PM

Re: Bristol 29.9

You can't compare the build quality of a Bristol 29.9 to an older Catalina. There's a whole extra safety margin inherent in the quality and weight of the Bristol's construction. Equipment is another matter.

Chadfunk48 04-04-2012 10:12 AM

I'm also seriously considering a 29.9 for our next boat. We would be moving up from a hunter 27 and are looking for something that can comfortably make the passage to Bermuda (from NJ) in the near future.
Understanding that these boat can stand up to heavy weather, are they comfortable in bigger seas? Do they pound excessivly? And lastley is the centerboard a concern when in bad weather? i.e. banging around or bouncing up and down?

I am also kind of partial to Bristols, my second boat was a beaten up caravel that we broght back to life and I was impressed with the over craftsmanship on the boat, especially when compared to our current Hunter...

MarkSF 04-05-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 (Post 854410)
I'm also seriously considering a 29.9 for our next boat. We would be moving up from a hunter 27 and are looking for something that can comfortably make the passage to Bermuda (from NJ) in the near future.
Understanding that these boat can stand up to heavy weather, are they comfortable in bigger seas? Do they pound excessivly? And lastley is the centerboard a concern when in bad weather? i.e. banging around or bouncing up and down?

I am also kind of partial to Bristols, my second boat was a beaten up caravel that we broght back to life and I was impressed with the over craftsmanship on the boat, especially when compared to our current Hunter...

I can only speak for my 31.1, which has a nice motion and doesn't pound at all. I would imagine the 29.9 is similar, based on the specs and the hull design.

Try posting the question on the Yahoo forum (this is the best of the 3 on Yahoo and Google)

bristolboatowners : Bristol Boat Owners

Chadfunk48 04-05-2012 02:40 PM

Thanks Mark, I'll check out the yahoo group