Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Buying a Boat Articles
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2001
Contributing Author

Dan Dickison is on a distinguished road
Bluewater Boat?

Is an Island Packet truly a bluewater boat?

Dan Dickison responds:
Thanks for your question. Island Packet currently makes five different models, and they have made numerous other models in the past. Since we don't know which of these boats you're asking about, we'll have to use the broad-brush approach in our answer. By the way, be forewarned that this isn't the kind of question that can be addressed by a yes or no answer because any answer to such a query requires qualification.

The Island Packet company contends that its products are "safe, comfortable, seaworthy yachts," and have always been just that. It's the third of these descriptions that comes under scrutiny by way of your question, "seaworthy." For a comprehensive understanding of how that term truly applies, I recommend that you take a little detour and read an article we published here at SailNet on this topic, Don Casey's "How We Define Seaworthy."

Casey lets us know that the interpretation of seaworthy really depends upon the intended use of the boat. Because you use the term bluewater, I'm assuming you've got ocean-crossing in mind. Certainly Island Packet products have made such trips, but I've never experienced that sort of time at sea aboard one Island Packet's boats, so I'm not really qualified to offer an opinion. Instead, I'll refer you to a couple of other sources: One is SailNet's BoatCheck feature where existing and former owners of specific boats offer their views on particular models. For Island Packets, there are seven different models listed on BoatCheck. Just follow this link: BoatCheck.

You might also want to have a look what naval architect Bob Perry has to say about the Island Packet 350 and 380 here: http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/perry.htm

I know this is only a partial answer, but I hope it helps to steer you in the right direction in order to gain the information you're seeking. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread